Sales revenue from Vinyl outstrips CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This was in the The Times yesterday, and the BMG spokesperson's comment indicates we will see more Box Sets, whether that includes surround mixes is another matter. But I suspect Dolby pushing/funding Atmos mixes for streaming i.e. renting means that is less likely (it also means a rather big hit to an awful lot of musicians royalty incomes!). As for vinyl sales I'm not surprised, as I have bought a few LPs to replace the rather worn out ones (album sleeves I can read!), they are around 2x-2.5x the cost of a typical CD. The new Olias Of Sunhillow LP cost me £38.
CCF_000500.jpg

This was in the The Times yesterday, and the BMG spokesperson's comment indicates we will see more Box Sets, whether that includes surround mixes is another matter. But I suspect Dolby pushing/funding Atmos mixes for streaming i.e. renting means that is less likely (it also means a rather big hit to an awful lot of musicians royalty incomes!). As for vinyl sales I'm not surprised, as I have bought a few LPs to replace the rather worn out ones (album sleeves I can read!), they are around 2x-2.5x the cost of a typical CD. The new Olias Of Sunhillow LP cost me £38.
View attachment 70853

Not surprising, Dunc, as sales of STEREO vinyl have been edging upward for the past few years .... but unfortunately, how will this impact the future of digital Surround media?

Last edited:
Same, I pretty much refuse to buy CD's. Way too many times, when I do , I'm severely disappointed at the crappy sound.

I agree, Gene, a LOT [too many, in fact] are SMUSHED TO DEATH by compression but a lot of the recent box sets from SONY and RHINO have been SUPERB and VERY well priced.. Actually, Jazz and non Rock music does fare better on RBCD than Rock 'n Pop!

And let's face it, a LOT of vinyl being produced today also has its issues unless it's 180/200g reissues!

Remember we are talking physical medium, not surprising as most people are using digital sources paying for downloads or streaming music. Physical medium is left for us loonies who collect hi-rez SACD and Blu-ray Audio, or just insist on having something physical.

LP's are cool to some people, you can't download an LP and play it on your turntable! I remember when cassettes were outselling LP's, so the current phenomenon might just be a current fad.

I still buy a few CD's but always worry that the sound will be brickwalled. Boxed sets can be cool but usually the extra CDs get played only once or twice.

As it said in the news clipping, BMG did not disclose actual sales figures but confirmed the trend. So another way to interpret this is perhaps CD sales have simply dropped more than LP sales gaining.

I love the concept of National Record Store Day. Gets me out of the house & prowling for that hidden gem. Of course besides LP's there are CD's, SACD's etc, etc to be had. I have purchsed vinyl in the recent past & will do so again but not as a rule. And my rule being if I can find a good quality digital source that will be my 1st choice.

As it said in the news clipping, BMG did not disclose actual sales figures but confirmed the trend. So another way to interpret this is perhaps CD sales have simply dropped more than LP sales gaining.

I love the concept of National Record Store Day. Gets me out of the house & prowling for that hidden gem. Of course besides LP's there are CD's, SACD's etc, etc to be had. I have purchsed vinyl in the recent past & will do so again but not as a rule. And my rule being if I can find a good quality digital source that will be my 1st choice.

A few years ago, pundits declared that a $350 TT/Tonearm/Cartridge combo beat the pants off a $1K digital spinner. I wonder if the same equation holds true today with improved DACs, et alia in modern SACD players and ALL digital front ends?

Not that Amazon is any indicator, but a lot of the vinyl reissues from Rock/Pop groups gets frankly lousy grades for POOR PRESSINGS ...the very same maladies which prompted the majors to go ALL digital with the CD.

I buy mostly 80's era used CDs (before the Volume Wars) and some used /NOS LPs. But for new music it's mostly SACD, DVDs, BD and I avoid the newer CDs if I can. Also a lot of digital downloaded via Qobuz, HDtracks etc. (I just learned that Qobuz gives around $.04+ per play (streaming) to the artists (one of, if not the highest rates going), opposed to most places only $0.01 or less to the artists.

Coming full circle, I seem to see more vinyl in retail stores these days than I see CDs. If I see CDs, they're in some close out bin with DVDs and BluRay Movies at a discounted price. LPs are on the shelves at full list.

Been there, done that

Coming full circle, I seem to see more vinyl in retail stores these days than I see CDs. If I see CDs, they're in some close out bin with DVDs and BluRay Movies at a discounted price. LPs are on the shelves at full list.

Been there, done that

It seems EVERY late night show TV host and every modern motion picture is 'hawking' VINYL.....not to mention the artists themselves. Can't remember the last time I saw someone putting a 5" disc into a player ...... unless you're watching reruns of old TV shows, 90's flicks or OLD LETTERMAN where he used to refer to the compact disc as the latest popular way to experience music ....well, NOT ANYMORE, DAVE!

I've just bought a couple of The Groundhogs re-releases on LP, and about 15 CDs, the Marcus Reuter download, all stereo, plus the 'usual' box sets for the surround in the last month or so. Yes, old school physical is my preference as I get a 'connection' with the music (I like the ritual especially with LPs!), but downloads are OK as I've bought quite a few.

What worries me about streaming music is I don't 'own' the copy, and as we've seen with the Mayer Atmos it can be removed at whim. Sadly the world seems to have realised you can scam more money out of people by renting stuff to them, i.e. like most software these days, you buy a licence for a year, grrrr!

Back