Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Wow!! Just started scratching the surface on these and how awesome. Now the first 10-12 tracks or so are very subtle but what can we expect from recordings that were likely only to 4 track maybe tops? BUT it shows that earlier recordings in rock genre CAN be remixed to multichannel or immersive! Fantastic!!

Cheers Humph (y)
I would have given this release a miss, as it puts it in the category of 'hip-hop'
These critics are right....it's good.

First Hip-Hop release in my library!!

If you like that one, Your Hoppy Highness, you might also enjoy Terrace Martin's DRONES and/or The Weeknd's Dawn FM. (DRONES in particular has a fabulous Atmos mix.)

Can't say I would call Dawn FM hip-hop. It's much more EDM and pop. Fantastic album, IMHO. Mediocre Atmos mix. It's fine, but it could be a lot more adventurous.

Over the past few decades, especially, it seems like genres have morphed and subdivided and cross-pollinated with extraordinary speed and fluidity. So many contemporary artists pull from so many genres across the soul/R&B/funk/fusion/hip-hop/dance/electronica spectrum that it's hard to put labels on them. I'm not sure "hip-hop" is the first label I'd attach to Little Simz, either; I'd be more inclined to put her and Terrace Martin and The Weeknd in the "alternative R&B" basket--they're all sort of descendants of D'Angelo. But agreed: we might have expected a more interesting Atmos mix for Dawn FM...

Last edited:
I mean this is why I don't have much in the way of genre. I have a total of 12 musical genres in my Apple Music. I constantly change the genre labels that get put on things. Personally, I have the Weeknd under R&B/Soul, which is a bit more accurate than Hip-Hop, but still not entirely accurate. But then I've always felt that really great artists transcend genre. They have songs and even albums that move into genres other than what they're "known for."

Back