(UHQCD format x MQA technology). Disc's-DAC's-Streamers and Tidal

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Played The Police: Every Breath You Take (Singles) Full MQA 352.8KHZ this morning. This disc sounded a close second to the SHM SACDs even without MQA, turn MQA on and it takes the listen to another level. Smooth analog sound for the first time. Had always had doubts about the SHM Sacds needless to say they are now on discogs for sale.

Although the MQA~CD software is dwindling, Universal just announced 10 MQA Leon Russell Titles available for sale in May 2022

https://www.importcds.com/leon-russell-mqa-cdx-uhqcd/4988031507445
BTW, EVOSOUND MQA~CDs sound simply astounding.

Last edited:
I looked thru the Amazon (USA) MQA CD list and didn't see a sampler disc (I did recently buy an HDCD sampler CD from Amazon), anyone have any recommendations at to an MQA CD that is like a sampler CD with MQA processing applied to a variety of master recordings (older analog and new digital)?

Kirk Bayne

I looked thru the Amazon (USA) MQA CD list and didn't see a sampler disc (I did recently buy an HDCD sampler CD from Amazon), anyone have any recommendations at to an MQA CD that is like a sampler CD with MQA processing applied to a variety of master recordings (older analog and new digital)?

Kirk Bayne

Kirk, here are the four Universal MQA~CD Samplers available from CDJapan. Each sampler includes both a UHQ CD and a UHQ MQA~CD for comparison!

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searches?term.media_format=&q=MQA+Samplers

Another "READER" with NO first hand listening experience to back up HIS 'lack of science!' You remind me in the video world of those thousands [millions?] of people who to THIS day still embrace and purchase DVD movies as in "Who needs blu~ray or 4K?"

Those exact same ARMCHAIR CRITICS who decry the efficacy of upgraded interconnects, upgraded component power supplies, et alia who just don't want to spend the money because they've READ there's absolutely NO difference whatsoever.

Well, there IS a difference ....... but why waste words on the chronic disbelievers who decry anything out of their minimalist 'comfort zone!'

You might want to turn your anger dial down from 11 and stop using caps lock. Shouting at me won't make me change my mind.

Actually I have loads of Blu Rays and they look and sound far better than DVD (except DTS on DVD sounds pretty damned good when you can get it). The only reason I don't have 4K is no-one will sell me a 4K TV that fits in my room, 32" is the largest that will fit. That and I missed out on buying an Oppo 205.

Upgraded power supplies, sure the noise PSUs generate can get into the signal. I've worked with a former TAG MacLaren digital engineer who assured me that in blind listening tests people can identify one changed capacitor in a power supply.

As for interconnects, there's a difference between cheap rubbish and properly made ones. But above that I have difficulty hearing a difference, I have owned a couple of pairs and sold them on having found them to be a waste of my money.

Next you'll be telling me it matters that I connect the arrows on so called mono directional interconnects the indicated way round, despite the fact that sound is an AC signal so can't possibly be affected that way.

And I'm not a minimalist. I have a DC blocker on the mains into my AV amp, because it stops the transformer growling from time to time from DC offsets on the mains. I still have my S-VHS VCR hooked up in the system, if I were a minimalist that would have been removed years ago.

I still have my S-VHS VCR hooked up in the system

I use VHS SLP daily, just started rewatching ST-DS9 [SLP tends to smooth out the too low video data rate artifacts in the LPDTV broadcast] and DS9 is DS encoded.

IMHO, the Meridian Audio co. has a lot of credibility regarding advancing the state of the art of digital audio, their handling of MQA info is puzzling though.

In my case, I don't buy many CDs nowadays, so fidelity/accuracy improvements are interesting to know about, but not of much use to me.

edit: my old Craig CVD505 DVD player decodes HDCD, coaxial out w/HDCD 1x on, DPL2 music mode decode, LB and RB have more ambience on the sampler HDCD [RR-S3CD] than the same songs w/HDCD off.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
You might want to turn your anger dial down from 11 and stop using caps lock. Shouting at me won't make me change my mind.

Actually I have loads of Blu Rays and they look and sound far better than DVD (except DTS on DVD sounds pretty damned good when you can get it). The only reason I don't have 4K is no-one will sell me a 4K TV that fits in my room, 32" is the largest that will fit. That and I missed out on buying an Oppo 205.

Upgraded power supplies, sure the noise PSUs generate can get into the signal. I've worked with a former TAG MacLaren digital engineer who assured me that in blind listening tests people can identify one changed capacitor in a power supply.

As for interconnects, there's a difference between cheap rubbish and properly made ones. But above that I have difficulty hearing a difference, I have owned a couple of pairs and sold them on having found them to be a waste of my money.

Next you'll be telling me it matters that I connect the arrows on so called mono directional interconnects the indicated way round, despite the fact that sound is an AC signal so can't possibly be affected that way.

And I'm not a minimalist. I have a DC blocker on the mains into my AV amp, because it stops the transformer growling from time to time from DC offsets on the mains. I still have my S-VHS VCR hooked up in the system, if I were a minimalist that would have been removed years ago.

I don't get angry ... and I don't get even but my emphasis on caps refers to those who read about but do not experience firsthand Meridian's newest format. And as poster Kirk Bayne posts above {post #171], I do have THE highest regard for Meridian. In fact I have a complete Meridian sound system including their top of the line self powered speakers and consider their components state of the art.

Perplexing you cannot find a suitable 32" 4K monitor. And the reason I did post about the failure of a very large segment of the population to embrace BD~V and 4K did not necessarily apply to you but my observation that DVDs continue to be released in pretty vast quantities and ironically, are on par with the cost of BD~Vs. Too bad those DVD owners don't realize that the price of BD players have come down drastically and that they not only UPSAMPLE DVD but can also play 1080p/i BD~Vs, as well.

Sorry you missed out on the OPPO 205 [which did include an MQA firmware update] but there are other players on the market which will play ALL formats including 4K.....they may not be as great as the 205 but they will certainly do the trick. The one advantage of OPPO is their magnificent service department which has always been reliable and responsive to their customer needs.

I do have approximately 75 MQA~CDs across all musical genres and can say firsthand I do not it any way find them gimmicky or sonically lacking ........ In comparing them to RBCDs and some SACDs I do own, I can say with confidence that you do owe it to yourself to experience the format firsthand ..... Even unencoded, they sound delightful to my ears.

Try it ... You just may like it!

And for your perusal, a list of 32" 4K monitors:

https://www.pcguide.com/monitor/guide/best-32-inch-4k/

Last edited:
Those 4K monitors are precisely that, monitors. I need a TV. I don't need its tuner as I use DVB PVRs to watch and record off air. But since my AV amp does not support HDMI audio I need to use the TV's HDMI input switching (I'm using 4 inputs), and I use the TV to extract stereo LPCM, DD and DTS from HDMI and output it to my AV amp on optical.

Yes I could replace my amp but that's another can of worms, I have limited physical space and most modern amps are larger than mine. I also need a line level output (analogue and digital) to feed my Dynaudio wireless remote speakers and a lot of amps are missing line level outs these days. Between those constraints the available options are limited, and what I have now works for me.

Last edited:
Out of interest... What's the make and model number of your amplifier?
I have an Arcam AVR350, it does everything I need except HDMI in (it will switch two HDMIs but that's of no use to me). An Oppo 105 or 205 would fix that, but I have a 95 which is connected to the multi channel ins.

I actually have two of them. My original bought new developed a loud mains hum which may be the main decoupling capacitors drying out. That one is in storage in the loft, one day I may get it repaired, Arcam are in the next village so I have options unavailable to most people. I then bought an ex demo which is the one I'm currently using.

Have to say listening to David Bowie Images MQA and all I can say is WOW this is an exceptional experience, MQA fully unfolded

I listen to nearly everything thru Dolby Pro-Logic 2 music [digital in] or movie [analog in] mode, do you use any sort of surround sound synthesizer on the MQA CDs?

Kirk Bayne

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-tested-part-1^^^
...is to subject MQA to a fair and thorough vetting...

Was looking for something else, just found this, might help solve the MQA improved accuracy issue.

Kirk Bayne

After reading the responses to Jim Austin's Stereophile article, my head is spinning.

As one responder surmised, whern HDCD hit the market no one batted an eyelash .....but MQA has stirred up not only the Wrath ofn Khan but allegations that the entire high end Audio community is suspect.

As the article was written at the end of 2017 ....... would surely like to read a less belligerent update ........

And the allegation that MQA masters are better than those supplied to 'ordinary' record manufacturers is quite the eye opener ..... but one I suspected was fact by luxuriating in the uncanny fidelity those UHQ Japanese MQA discs have manifested on my system...and I have over 70 MQA~encoded CDs across ALL genres!

Last edited:
Back