SPOTLIGHT Apple TV4k TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listen with bluetooth headphones directly from the AppleTV (not through the AVR). If it does it then, the AppleTV is doing it otherwise the AVR is doing it (not to say the AppleTV isn't interrupting the datastream in a way that could cause the AVR to do it).

I'm really not trying to say it isn't Apple's fault, it is just that the technical aspects of why it is happening are likely an interaction between the AppleTV and some AVRs.
Yeah, I hear you. Heck, guess I will try the headphones, never thought of that.

Does anyone else think that Apple TV is a wildly changeable and weird acting piece of kit? I have had two issues that are constant, yet changeable. 1) truncation of the first second of track playbacks and 2) the Apple TV turning itself back on uncommanded.

I have followed each and every bit of advice on these issues, and no matter what, they go away, and then come back, without apparent cause or reason or solution.

The track truncation was fixed with a sw upgrade a couple of months ago, but it is now back with a vengeance on Apple Music on Apple TV, IPhone and my IPAD. WHAT IS GOING ON?

As far as the Apple tv turning itself back on, I have done numerous things to correct, and it’s fine for a while, only to return after a while? If I hard restart the unit, or do a sw update, it seemingly cures it, only to return? What?

I've never experienced the power-on problem, @Ephi82, but as for the track truncation issue: you're not crazy, and you're not alone. @BobRomano started a discussion about this a few pages back. There was a widely reported 3- to 4-second truncation problem that was fixed with OS 15.3, but for many of us, a half-second version of the same glitch seems to have reappeared with the update to 15.4 (build 19L440) on March 14, and that still hasn't been resolved. (Now I wish I'd turned Automatic Updates off again after updating to 15.3!) Supposedly a beta update, 15.4.1 (build 19L452), was released on March 31, but it hasn't installed on my TV yet, even though I'm enrolled in the beta program.

I spoke to a Customer Service agent this morning who kept me on the phone for the better part of an hour without finding a solution. They finally recommended that I submit a report here:
https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-music.html--and wait patiently for the next update.

Last edited:
In regards to the truncation of songs issue, this happens to me: with air pods pro connected, there is no truncation on any type of playback. With the AVR on, there is the truncation issue when using either Dolby Audio (5.1) or Dolby Atmos. Stereo seems fine. This is unlikely to be the AVR on its own, as many of us that have the issue are surely running different receivers. Sounds like something the ATV is doing triggers the response from the AVRs.

Ever wonder why they call it Apple TV4K Video Streamer with Available Home Theater Surround Sound HDMI ARC Interface, not Apple Music Bulletproof Atmos Universal Audio Streaming device?

Anybody wanna invite Chucky in here to get his hot take on HDMI reliablility. ?

Just sayin'. ;)

Not really a solution, but have you considered a factory reset of the device? You wont lose your playlists or anything, but you will have to redo your ATV settings, and possibly re-install some apps. It might not help, but it won’t hurt, either.

Closing unused applications on a modern operating system (like tvOS on the Apple TV or iOS on the iPhone) is not recommended. An unused app is basically frozen and is not eating up any ressources. And it’s always faster and more efficient to wake up a frozen app than to relaunch a closed one. (especially on a phone, operating on a battery)

And by the way, if the Apple TV really feels slow, unplug it from the power outlet, count to 10 and plug it again: it will restart the Apple TV and everything will be completely reset. No need to play with the remote, and much faster!

I would disagree with the first paragraph… not from theory but from experience. When the Apple TV starts getting non-responsive or oddly responsive, doing the double-click on the TV button and clearing out the previously used apps gets everything working again..

Listen with bluetooth headphones directly from the AppleTV (not through the AVR). If it does it then, the AppleTV is doing it otherwise the AVR is doing it (not to say the AppleTV isn't interrupting the datastream in a way that could cause the AVR to do it).

I'm really not trying to say it isn't Apple's fault, it is just that the technical aspects of why it is happening are likely an interaction between the AppleTV and some AVRs.
That’s the thing about HDMI handshakes abd CEC control. It’s complex,( to me!) subject to various issues of linked components at different sw rev levels etc….

A good point was made that maybe it isn’t the APTV, perhaps it’s the Marantz or the LG tv restarting?

Thanks for the reply.
I haven't investigated the cables, converters, etc. that I would need. I have a USB-C to HDMI converter in my box of 'just in case I'll need it one day' electronics, but I haven't gone through the trial and error yet, if using an HDMI is a possibility I'll take the time to experiment.
I don't think I saw an answer to your question in the thread.

To listen to music in Atmos from Apple Music, you need an AppleTV 4k.

While a MacBook Pro with USB-C to HDMI dongle will play multitrack files in full surround, it will only transmit stereo from the Apple Music in the Music App. I am using an M1 Mac Mini with an HDMI connection to my Old Pioneer. Multi-channel files I have play perfectly whether I am using Music or J-River. Streamed music from Apple Music plays only in stereo.

This is despite Apple's statements that the M1 Mac mini is Atmos/Spatial Audio compatible. Unfortunately that compatibility only applies to the built in speakers in an Apple monitor, certain AirPods and HomePods.

I have a general question about ATV4K. Are there any streaming services that don't work properly on ATV4K, like Amazon Prime or Netflix, and require another box like Shield or Firestick? I remember very early in the ATV life cycle that DV or Atmos was missing from certain providers if you played it on an ATV, but most of that seemed to go away a couple years ago. I am committed to ATV4K for streaming their Apple Music Atmos and 5.1 stuff, but wondered if I'll still need a firestick 4k or any other streamer for full use of those "competitors" to, say, Apple TV+. I ask cuz my pre/pro (Lyngdorf MP-40) has only 3 HDMI inputs and I'll use them up with ATV4K, bluray player and Zidoo Z9X media player.
It all depends on the streaming services app. If the app supports Atmos or 5.1 and you have the equipment to play it, you'll get playback in surround. I'm not positive, but I think the Hulu app lacks surround support on the AppleTV.

While a MacBook Pro with USB-C to HDMI dongle will play multitrack files in full surround, it will only transmit stereo from the Apple Music in the Music App.

Is it possible 5.1 performance is dependent on hardware & software revisions? 🤔
As yours is not everyone's experience, a flat statement like the above without qualification appears problematic.
Perhaps I'm missing something...

My post #115 above:
SPOTLIGHT - Apple TV4k TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS

Not really a solution, but have you considered a factory reset of the device? You wont lose your playlists or anything, but you will have to redo your ATV settings, and possibly re-install some apps. It might not help, but it won’t hurt, either.
I did take the time to do this, and it seemed to improve things for a short period.

I have the situation where there is no interruption after the first track when albums are played through straight, but there is an interruption when selecting tracks from different albums.

I'm convinced its my Pre/pro. Each time an interruption happens the Pre/pro displays its status screen popup noting the number of channels and the bitrate. There is no status display popup when streaming albums.

Its the same behavior on two different pre/pros and the same behavior if I stream music from my NAS. The truncation is the time it takes for the pre/pro to figure out the audio format and adjust to it.

As yours is not everyone's experience, a flat statement like the above without qualification appears problematic.

My post #115 above:

My 2018 Apple Mini (pre M1) certainly plays 5.1 from Apple Music via HDMI in MacOS 12.3 to my Denon receiver. You may need to use Audio MIDI Setup to ensure 5.1 rather than stereo is output (it can also handle 7.1 and 5.1.2 Atmos). I previously used USB output successfully for 5.1.

While a MacBook Pro with USB-C to HDMI dongle will play multitrack files in full surround, it will only transmit stereo from the Apple Music in the Music App. I am using an M1 Mac Mini with an HDMI connection to my Old Pioneer. Multi-channel files I have play perfectly whether I am using Music or J-River. Streamed music from Apple Music plays only in stereo.

This is despite Apple's statements that the M1 Mac mini is Atmos/Spatial Audio compatible. Unfortunately that compatibility only applies to the built in speakers in an Apple monitor, certain AirPods and HomePods.

My post #115 above:

@madship - I am not sure I am understanding your point. 🤷 I realize that I am not streaming Atmos 'content' as I only have 5.1, but I am definitely streaming 5.1 when playing directly through Apple Music app on the Macbook into the Marantz AVR which is Atmos compliant. I guess I am in a similar set-up as @~dave~~wave~ .

@madship - I am not sure I am understanding your point. 🤷 I realize that I am not streaming Atmos 'content' as I only have 5.1, but I am definitely streaming 5.1 when playing directly through Apple Music app on the Macbook into the Marantz AVR which is Atmos compliant. I guess I am in a similar set-up as @~dave~~wave~ .

I think the confusion for a lot of us is that this thread is specifically for Apple TV tips and tricks for 5.1 and Atmos playback. For anyone who missed the Mac part, you actually didn't, because it's not there.

I get the need to share, but this is off topic.

Also, regardless of whether your receiver is Atmos capable, you aren't getting Atmos object based audio from a Mac if metadata isn't being sent.

If you want to see this as a feature, try suggesting it using Product Feedback

That said, we should probably ask Bob if he could create a "Mac TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS" so these discussions can happen in the proper space. Based on the discussion, there are enough people that are interested in Mac as well, so it worth setting up a parallel discussion.

Setup, troubleshooting, and playback on macOS are all fundamentally different than on AppleTV.

Any discussion of Mac setup or configuration can end up confusing new AppleTV users.

Any problem experienced on the Mac is likely not on AppleTV.

So can we agree to move this elsewhere?

So can we agree to move this elsewhere?
Not so fast, my friend.

Let the record show that the first like for this post came from the guy who, when setting up his new box that is the topic of this thread & got confused, did not post in this thread.

Instead, he posted in the Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple thread, where some folks tried to help him out while I gave him a hard time. 😜

Some people are just confused and looking for answers. 🤔

Your example is Apple computer owners questioning if it's mandatory to buy one of these boxes just to try listening to Apple Music in surround to see what the excitement is all about.

Please excuse my ignorance here, but do I need the Apple 4k TV device to play the Atmos tracks?

Folks who already bought Apple TV then assert that's the only way.
Correct as far as full-blown Atmos goes.
However one can in fact "play the Atmos tracks" downmixed to 5.1 without it, so I replied and directed him to another thread with details.

Then a week later comes another well-intentioned post:

Missed it, then. It happens.

OK.

While a MacBook Pro with USB-C to HDMI dongle will play multitrack files in full surround, it will only transmit stereo from the Apple Music in the Music App.

Not in my experience.
Hence a reply from me, and a couple of confirming follow-ups.

Sorry if you feel that's degraded the integrity of a thread with 120 posts, not all of which are laser-focused on point.
This place is never going to be perfect.

Maybe we can cut each other some slack.
Except for @GOS . I'm at the end of my rope with that guy. 🤣😂🤣

One man's opinion, agree or disagree.

Thanks to all for the replies, suggestions, and other options.:cool:
I really don't have any problem with moving these posts to another solo dedicated thread if that makes things easier.
I just appreciate the polite and extremely helpful answers that I received for a quick question! :D:cool:

Back