Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming May 17th from UNIVERSAL

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/100921/licoricepizza.html

licorice-pizza.jpg

I finally cracked open my UHD4K [steelbook] presentation of Martin Scorsese's excellent SHUTTER ISAND which I had seen years ago on 1080p BD~V and can report Paramount Pictures did an excellent HDR10Dolby Vision upgrade. Scorsese's atmospheric visuals are well served. Lead Leonardo DiCaprio turns in an excellent performance as well as co stars Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Max von Sydow, a lovely Michelle Williams and the great Patricia Clarkson. The DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack carried over from the BD~V is likewise effective with ample immersiveness. Highly Recommended

81OcAgR79+L._SL1500_.jpg

@Sonik Wiz reminded me of this release when he posted here:
1652976493183.png

Active and engaging 5.1 surround track option for the English dub; good 2.0 PUNCH on the Japanese track!
https://www.comicsonline.com/2012/06/anime-dvd-review-mongolian-chop-squad-s-a-v-e-edition/These reviews are for an earlier release of the series, but the discussion of the sound rings true:
https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/34517/beck-mongolian-chop-squad-the-complete-series/https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/34448/beck-mongolian-chop-squad-complete-tv-series/

Last edited:
The 1st Crow movie was great! A 4K release of it would be fantastic.

Hopefully, it'll be released in Native UHD4K to coincide with the release of the remake. The choice of Swedish actor Bill Skarsgard as the crow should be interesting and IMO, a great choice! Hope they don't botch it!

Boy Kills World

Swedish actor Bill Skarsgard 'kills' in the Amazon Prime limited series "CLARK." Pictured here preparing for his role in "Boy Kills World"

Last edited:
An exquisite 4K 1080p remaster from Kino Lorber supervised by director Rian Johnson. Joseph Gordon~Levitt excels in this American Neo noir drama. DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack is wholly immersive. Highest Recommendation

8183fPOWJfL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
An exquisite 4K 1080p remaster from Kino Lorber supervised by director Rian Johnson. Joseph Gordon~Levitt excels in this American Neo noir drama. DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack is wholly immersive. Highest Recommendation

8183fPOWJfL._SL1500_.jpg
This has been on my watchlist for a long time - years. From back when I used to listen to the Filmspotting podcast. Too long. Maybe now is the time to dive in.

If it was remastered in 4K, why isn't it being released that way?

Criterion, Kino Lorber and even the majors [like the Paramount Presents series] have been remastering in 4K for years ..... only to present us with 1080p BD~V discs. I have NO idea what the investment is to go full UHD4K, but if you've noticed [I HAVE] a LOT of DREK has actually been released in UHD4K while MUCH MORE worthy contenders have NOT! Another trend, if a current big budget film doesn't do particularly well, it will not garner a UHD4K release.

With all the 4K streaming going on, I do believe the majors [and even minors] would prefer to release their films that way. and charge a rental revenue instead of going the full monty.

Criterion after numerous requests has finally released over a dozen films in Native UHD4K ....and it's about time! To date, Paramount Presents has only released one after releasing well over two dozen 4K remastered titles on 1080p BD~Vs! And it's Black & White!

The Sheltering Sky (1990) BD:
1. DTS-MA 5.1 but there's not much coming from the surrounds except score and some background sounds. It's very "stereo" and I had to up the centre 4dB to get a decent centering of the dialogue.
2. Great cinematography though, and Debra Winger and Malkovich were great + Campbell Scott. I'm not a typically a fan of Bertolucci but this was an interesting watch.
3. Region B here: The Sheltering Sky

What's even more surprising is the actual amount [in the thousands] of films that have not yet had a BD~V release...and a constant trend is the major studios are farming them out to boutique reissue companies like Kino Lorber, StudioCanal, Criterion, et alia and sometimes supplying substandard masters!

Back