Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19 of the 20 tracks from this version of the compilation are in Atmos.

("Listen Like Thieves" is unavailable in the UK).

5DBF7F7D-984D-4555-99F2-76ECBD759CB2.jpeg

I have the Kick Blu-Ray and the INXS videos DVD in 5.1. I listened to the new Atmos release in 5.1 on Apple Music and I thought it sounded good. Admittedly I was a few beverages deep on a Saturday night 😜

Is pretty much every new release getting released in Atmos ? Seems to be the standard now.
Sure seems like it… more or less. There’s definitely some releases in New Releases (Check The “browse” section, scroll to New Releases) that don’t have it, but we’ve been seeing albums get mixes a few weeks, months, or a year later.

Some seem dead set against it (during an archival concert live stream where the duo did an AMA in the chat, I asked ambient techno group Carbon Based Lifeforms, as well as the discord chat of ambient label The Past Inside The Present, both seemed to have no interest at this time), some just have workflows that don’t support it (my fav band, the genre shifting rock band King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard claimed they were looking into it, but responded to an AMA question of mine saying their masters are so disorganized that Atmos would be tricky)… but the key thing is all the artists I’ve asked are aware of it.

There’s a thread on here about an article from Billboard about how demand has grown 400%. I wouldn’t be surprised if the releases that get mixes a few weeks/months/year later have been stuck in a queue, and choose to release when done, or wait for an anniversary date

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/Sept 7th, 10 AM PT Apple will be holding a “special event”, talking about new products. Any new Apple Music news will be talked about then, if it exists.

Expected announcements: iPhone 14 (4 models this year), new Apple Watch (Series… 8?), potentially a more expensive extreme sports version.

Potential announcements: new Airpod Pros (lossless audio expected), new Homepods, potentially a new Apple TV box with a focus on gaming (though this seems the least likely of all these).

Now that Apple has changed to these slick, pre-recorded, meticulously edited “special event” videos, they are broadcast in Dolby Vision 4K and, most importantly Dolby Atmos. The Atmos stream can be found in the TV+ app on your Apple TV box (and should be available as an archive if you can’t make it live)

Absolutely loved this album. A 10/10 with a killer atmos mix that brings out all the rich sonic goodness. Highly recommended.

Interesting.

Agree about the album and the Atmos mix isn't terrible but I thought overall a huge missed opportunity and that either Butch Vig or whoever mixed it is not really into Atmos.

But that's just me. I like more discrete sounding surround mixes.

Awesome! been wanting to listen to Halsey's latest album since the release a year ago! It's a banger!

I listened to this last night, it's okay, but not as stellar an Atmos mix as say Hopeless Fountain Kingdom which is pretty amazing. I was hoping to have more of Trent Reznor's work in the surrounds, but that's hit and miss. On a few songs, a wall of sound approach in the fronts persists. Still, this album is fantastic on its musical merits and this mix is still better than most on Tidal.

Interesting.

Agree about the album and the Atmos mix isn't terrible but I thought overall a huge missed opportunity and that either Butch Vig or whoever mixed it is not really into Atmos.

But that's just me. I like more discrete sounding surround mixes.
Based on your comments I had another listen to the first two tracks.

I personally don’t know how the 2nd track could be made much more discrete.

Back