Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interestingly, Britney Spears' "Toxic" is in Dolby Audio, rather than Atmos...

472E7D0E-C3E6-4F6B-B3B4-7F0EAB14924A.jpeg

Please forgive me if I’m posting about something slightly old. I’ve only seen one small post on this here, and it deserves a lot more attention in my opinion. What I’m talking about could be called the first quadrophonic indie release: the album XI Bleed here now from the band …And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead from July 2022. Yep, it’s a brand new quad album from this year, you can hear it in all its glory on Apple Music and it sounds SUPERB.

This is an album with tons of guitars. There’s acoustic picking, electric plucking, droning, vibrating soloing, powerchords, massive walls from all directions and from all of the golden ages of guitar from Pink Floyd to Sonic Youth. Together with a solid rhythm section, this album rocks. As soon as the thumb hits play, any sane person realizes that this kind of music has been begging to be quadrifornicated since forever.

Yes, there’s indie music in Atmos that sounds great. For instance, the crisp surround mix on the track Beach Boy from Benee’s Lychee album is sublime as pretty much the whole of Damon Albarns, Regina Spektors and S:t Vincent’s latest albums. But they’re all something different - either front heavy with atmospheric additions from the back as Benee or some kind of permanently changing experimental collage of sound as the other three. Bleed here now is something else: it is a fully quadraphonic capturing of a band the way some of the 70s records are: at many times it is blasting from all four speakers, bass, drums and all, placing the listener in the middle of a pulsating rock opera. The result is a warm, loud and full sound that just expresses this forceful music in landscape mode. The feeling you get is like when you see a movie where important parts of the action is filmed rather that just being edited digitally and you see that faces, shadows and explosions suddenly look real and realize: so there IS a difference after all! This is how it should look! Yes, you can make surround music from what’s is essentially extensive layering of sounds and effects: by adding swooshing, stretching echoes across the room and inserting new instruments for the chorus. But it will not be the same as if you planned a quadraphonic album from the beginning and then actually played it. When you do something by actually playing it, whether it is music or film, there’s a kind of weight to it, like that thing all human arts gain when you know how hard it is to attain. Acrobatics only get impressive when you perceive the weight of stuff. Only when you see that Maverick needs to breathe heavily before he turns his F18 and see him flinch involuntary after take off you get to full admiration of the flight scenes in the latest Top Gun, scenes that are a result of the ambition to film as much as possible of actors in planes actually flying.

The fact that most of this album is played doesn’t mean that it does not employ the whole catalogue of quad trix. No, there’s a whole bag of rotating synthesizers, voices that pops up in different speakers, percussion instruments in different speakers simultaneously, shifting from stereo to quadraphonic, widening, narrowing, spinning and everything in between. But the fact that it is built organically from a band makes all those acrobatics more serious. I’m not surprised that KamranV is one of the masterminds behind this (which may also be a link to the slightly Suzanne Ciani-looking album cover with the word QUADRAPHONIC in big letters). It takes real knowledge to create such a great mix.

XI Bleed here now may be the Top Gun Maverick for quadraphonic music lovers, letting us know how a modern rock band would sound within a believable old school quadraphonic universe and leaving us craving a lot more. Which is why this may be the first, rather than the last quadraphonic indie record of the 2020s. The team behind it may now be known by the trail of quad albums.

And from one end of the expertly mixed to Giles strange attempt.
I shouldn't have to put my head next to the speakers to hear what's going on.
Yes, there is a surround mix.
Yes, it occasionally hits you.
But...who tested this?
I think Paul over at SDS should be grateful he didn't get to release this, as it is.
Fantastic band, fantastic music, subpar mix....grrr.

Edit....I've raised my rears by a considerable amount to get the surround content. It has improved the overall sound and mix.

Last edited:
I keep checking The Very Best of INXS and I don't get anything in Atmos except Need You Tonight. I've deleted and re-added. Still not in Atmos. Even the Kick 30th doesn't show as Atmos for me.

Yeah that works for Kick. Anyone in the US been able to get the Very Best Of to work in Atmos?

And from one end of the expertly mixed to Giles strange attempt.
I shouldn't have to put my head next to the speakers to hear what's going on.
Yes, there is a surround mix.
Yes, it occasionally hits you.
But...who tested this?
I think Paul over at SDS should be grateful he didn't get to release this, as it is.
Fantastic band, fantastic music, subpar mix....grrr.

Edit....I've raised my rears by a considerable amount to get the surround content. It has improved the overall sound and mix.

I agree 100%. I gave it 3 listens all the way through, compared to Quad DVDs and I was very disappointed. The overall sound is poor, horrible drums, some bad sounding guitars and there are several songs with nothing in rears for 98% of the time, such as Kick. On the positive I think Devil inside has been improved over mix on Kick. Turning up rears on Mystify does nothing, because only fingers clicks are there.

Last edited:
Back