Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first impression after the first few tracks: A really good mix that suits the music well. Sounds very analog in the lack of a better description. Track 3 sounds a little Daniel Lanois like. In my opinion a plus. Nice spread of the instruments. Uses all channels as if it was the most natural way to mix country music. And of course great musicians and well produced. Thanks for the tip. I am gonna listen more to this!
Mrs. Pupster was out of the listening room some last night, so I cranked this new Willie Nelson up more. I feel as you do that it's got a more analog sound to it than a lot of stuff on here. However, I see now that the louder volume I started with last night was too much and started to reveal (IMO) some of the streaming compression, so I cut it back about half way from the first time to this time. Just goes to show, that for every music/source there's a comfortable level that best suits that music. I believe the whole analog analogy comes down to more of the 'Mastering' of the recording, as there are lots of stuff on here that sounds either too thin/grainy or just overall distorted in the upper range.

And BTW, that track 3 'Energy Follows Thought' may be my favorite on the album.

I can only imagine how beautiful this one would sound in a lossless HiRes BD release 😢

Well the front and height speakers sound good but it seems like the engineer forgot all about the surround speakers, there’s sound there but it’s just like the front speakers at a much lower level.
So far on Images and Words tracks: Under A Glass Moon, Wait For Sleep and Learning To Live all Atmos and not as aggressive in the surrounds as we would all probably like but the spread of sound feels good and does give the immersive quality. Sonically well done, crisp, good bass.

Im only 5.1 so maybe my opinions dont count so whatever

I could not disagree more!
Share your observations without any apology!

There's no option to listen to spatial mixes except in the format they're made available to one's multi-channel system.

The Atmos spec mandates and brags that the object-oriented technology will deliver:

Best possible sound from theater to headphones (and everything in between)

Dolby Atmos adapts automatically to your audio device and system to give you a spatial sound experience...

This is the QQ forum, not a quad on the ceiling and eight on the floor home cinema forum. o_O

This place has always been the welcoming big tent for listeners at any point on the experience, collection size & equipment "property ladder."
That should never change.

:51QQ
============================

I've used the great info shared by @sjcorne and others to put together a fixed-income-retiree Mac-based Atmos 7.1.4 rig.
Using what I already have combined with affordable used & mid-fi parts, promising results so far, but...

It's made me realize most of what I own and will continue enjoy is quad and 5.1, or stereo upmixed in DPL.
The improvements I hear from more channels are incremental gains over the core 5.1 information.

7.1 mixes often dilute what's in one of the rear pairs compared to 5.1.
Same with heights in 7.4.1, though there are excellent counter-examples.

5.1 on a decent system is always a great experience with a good mix, light years beyond airpods and mid-fi sound bars.
5.1 to Atmos, maybe not so much of a quantum leap at this point in time.

Especially for the "overhead" of extra expense for someone not a spacious homeowner with theater or man-cave.
The price of new AVRs seem to increase by $1,000 for each additional pair of channels past 7.1.

The better investment could be upgraded ear-level speakers.
Possibly without trading your present ones, as they could be used later for extra channels as the AVR market evolves.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

I've used the great info shared by @sjcorne and others to put together a fixed-income-retiree Mac-based Atmos 7.1.4 rig.
Using what I already have combined with affordable used & mid-fi parts, promising results so far, but...
Very nice! The setup is a bit convoluted, but it's so much cheaper than buying a 7.1.4 receiver. Care to share what gear you used?

can anybody identify this highly unusual version of "What's Going On"..??

by unusual, i should explain, it starts out with what i think is the "Marvin Live!" introduction (!?) some isolated vocals, sound effects (crowd noises, police sirens, fake vinyl pops and crackle).. and ends with more isolated studio vocals!!

what's going on indeed! 🤷🏻‍♀️😂
Good question, really have the bass n percussion going strong up front, totally new perhaps?

I'm likin' Trouble Man 🕺🎷🪘:smokin

Last edited:

can anybody identify this highly unusual version of "What's Going On"..??

by unusual, i should explain, it starts out with what i think is the "Marvin Live!" introduction (!?) some isolated vocals, sound effects (crowd noises, police sirens, fake vinyl pops and crackle).. and ends with more isolated studio vocals!!

what's going on indeed! 🤷🏻‍♀️😂
ah! the new Atmos is this version!! 💡

which is the 2019 Official Video, apparently! never seen or heard it before, have you?

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet , Fleetwood Mac’s Mirage is now in Dolby Atmos in Apple Music …:)

Attachments

• 10475969-7045-42AB-9BB4-99F29F10A0E1.png
    10475969-7045-42AB-9BB4-99F29F10A0E1.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Back