Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much for alerting me to these, I’m happy to report Metropolis pt2 is very good so far, the ticking clock in the overheads sets the scene on a positive note.
Well the front and height speakers sound good but it seems like the engineer forgot all about the surround speakers, there’s sound there but it’s just like the front speakers at a much lower level.

Five Motley Crues in Atmos, what a treat. My first pick Dr. Feelgood, one of my favorites of all time. Must be loud.
I always lurk this thread to pick up tips.
I noticed on my own that a lot of the releases in Dolby Atmos seem weak in the rears, then I started reading this thread in depth and others are talking about weak rears.
This Dr. Feelgood suffers from same. The plus side is there are many things that are definitely brought to life. Track 2 Dr. Feelgood the opening tone of bass guitar is fantastic. Lyrics posted is a big bonus. Little vocals off in the distance are able to be heard.
Unfortunately the weak rears make that envelope of sound that is what the true experience of Atmos is missing, like somebody cut off the back of my head.
And please tell me these weren't released 40 fucking years ago, I thought maybe 20 years, now I feel old. I counted on my fingers Dr. Feelgood was released 1989 was 33 years ago, why the 40 year logo.
This whole music business is going to hell in a handbasket.
Maybe some engineer decided the human brain while listening to ear buds can't really hear behind so they emphasized the top and front?
In my industry, when you under bid a job from your competitors, it is called leaving money on the table. How unfortunate that this new Atmos streaming platform is leaving money on the table. Do a better job at remixing the music into a good Atmos mix and release as physical discs, while keeping the streaming platform alive with better versions of the same.

Five Motley Crues in Atmos, what a treat. My first pick Dr. Feelgood, one of my favorites of all time. Must be loud.
I noticed on my own that a lot of the releases in Dolby Atmos seem weak in the rears, then I started reading this thread in depth and others are talking about weak rears.
This Dr. Feelgood suffers from same. The plus side is there are many things that are definitely brought to life. Track 2 Dr. Feelgood the opening tone of bass guitar is fantastic. Lyrics posted is a big bonus. Little vocals off in the distance are able to be heard.
Unfortunately the weak rears make that envelope of sound that is what the true experience of Atmos is missing, like somebody cut off the back of my head.
And please tell me these weren't released 40 fucking years ago, I thought maybe 20 years, now I feel old. I counted on my fingers Dr. Feelgood was released 1989 was 33 years ago, why the 40 year logo.
Maybe some engineer decided the human brain while listening to ear buds can't really hear behind so they emphasized the top and front?
In my industry, when you under bid a job from your competitors, it is called leaving money on the table. How unfortunate that this new Atmos streaming platform is leaving money on the table. Do a better job at remixing the music into a good Atmos mix and release as physical discs, while keeping the streaming platform alive with better versions of the same.
I think the 40 anniversary logos related to the anniversary of the band itself rather than specific albums.

Yea they really are releasing some terrible mixes. Ex: KC & sunshine band. VERY DISAPPOINTED. WTF???

Still loving Jefferson Airplane surrealistic pillows :)

Im only 5.1 so maybe my opinions dont count so whatever

Apple Music:
please God let them be real..!!! 🙏🤞

edit: yes, they're real Atmos! 😅

not every track has something going on in the Height channels and even those that do its not often that much but what is up there is real and rather nice and its all genuine mixes from multitracks.

whoever mixes the Motown Quads should show that Warner fella how to mix Atmos properly.

Last edited:

can anybody identify this highly unusual version of "What's Going On"..??

by unusual, i should explain, it starts out with what i think is the "Marvin Live!" introduction (!?) some isolated vocals, sound effects (crowd noises, police sirens, fake vinyl pops and crackle).. and ends with more isolated studio vocals!!

what's going on indeed! 🤷🏻‍♀️😂

Checked out "Grapevine" and it's definitely real, seems similar to the 5.1 version on The Marvin Gaye Collection.
they're all real, even "Got To Give It Up" (which was only ever upmixed on the Motown DVD-Video with all those 5.1 and cool acapella tracks) it also has a load of cowbell or some percussive thing pinging away in the Front Right Height!! 🎉🥳😅

Checked out "Grapevine" and it's definitely real, seems similar to the 5.1 version on The Marvin Gaye Collection.
Just listened to the 5.1 mentioned. It aounds better in my ears. More refined and deeper/fuller bass. This atmos mix is ok, but no sonic upgrade to existing 5.1 mixes (and atmos for what's going on). Glad it's not an upmix, though! Joe Grasso is credited as immersive engineer.

Just listened to the 5.1 mentioned. It aounds better in my ears. More refined and deeper/fuller bass. This atmos mix is ok, but no sonic upgrade to existing 5.1 mixes (and atmos for what's going on). Glad it's not an upmix, though! Joe Grasso is credited as immersive engineer.
not sure its an improvement on the old 5.1 DTS "Forever Yours" Brant S. Biles mixes and definitely not an improvement on the lovely old Japanese Motown Quads (why Universal don't just reissue those for crying out loud and save everyone the heartache! 😫 ) but it is a welcome relief that they're genuine Atmos from multitracks!! 😂😅😅

not sure its an improvement on the old 5.1 DTS "Forever Yours" Brant S. Biles mixes and definitely not an improvement on the lovely old Japanese Motown Quads (why Universal don't just reissue those for crying out loud and save everyone the heartache! 😫 ) but it is a welcome relief that they're genuine Atmos from multitracks!! 😂😅😅
:) Forgive me. I don't know these mixes. I was refering to MG collection and newer. Realizing I haven't been in this game long enough...

:) Forgive me. I don't know these mixes. I was refering to MG collection and newer. Realizing I haven't been in this game long enough...
forgiveness is not required! 👍

it matters not how long you're in the game, just being in the game is enough! 😊

MG Collection has the same 5.1 mixes as the earlier "Forever Yours".

"The Marvin Gaye Collection" was the new name Universal gave "Forever Yours" when they reissued the old 5.1 DTS CD mixes on Hybrid MultiCh SACD & DVD-Audio.

Back