Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the assumption is Steven Wilson since he did the last KISS mix
I’m hoping that’s the case. But I found it odd that unlike him telling his social media followers that he did Destroyer (long before release day), he hasn’t said a word (that I’m aware of) about this.

Perhaps in this case he's waiting until release day.

Just put on my BD of Animals, but as soon as that’s done, I’m heading to Apple Music to try Creatures. I’ve got the box set coming Friday and would typically wait, but I’m very curious to know how this sounds in surround.

Doesn't sound like SW's work to me, it's a lot more conservative than the Atmos mix of Destroyer. Guitars and lead vocal are upfront, while the rear and height speakers seem to be used primarily for the big drum reverbs. It also doesn't have SW's trademark center-isolated vocals.

Going from Floyd's Animals to Creatures of the Night, both surround-wise and lyrically, is kind of jarring. (And the less said about the lyrics for Keep Me Comin’ the better.)

Based on @sjcorne comments about what was heard in the heights, I’m probably missing something on my 7.1 system, but I thought the mix was... OK. Nothing I got really excited about.

I was taking notes for anything that stood out in each song and only three songs have any notes. I think the title track came out best with the ooohs and ahhhs, and the guitar solo, in the sides and rears.

I thought there was more potential to be bolder with some songs. It’s a nice mix to feel surrounded by the music if you love the album (which I do), but if a Kiss fan comes over you’ll probably go with Destroyer as your Kiss Atmos album of choice.

I’ll be honest... if I hadn’t gotten a big discount on the set because of a credit and was, instead, having to pay full price, I might cancel the order based on what I just heard and stick with streaming it.

I’m not a Kiss fan who needs all the extra paper, although I think they do an excellent job with it. I mainly wanted this set for the Atmos mix and while it’s fine as a general listening experience, when I want to listen to a great Atmos mix I’ve got too many other things I’d want to re-listen to first.

Curious what Kiss will package up as a box set next.

Spatial Audio Finder bot on Twitter just showed this one, don't remember seeing it before. I can't listen now, can anyone report on the mix? I don't see it on Tidal yet so no credits.

This is a very nice listen. Very roomy mix, all the instruments ( and there’s a ton of them) have their own little place in the listening room

Doesn't sound like SW's work to me, it's a lot more conservative than the Atmos mix of Destroyer. Guitars and lead vocal are upfront, while the rear and height speakers seem to be used primarily for the big drum reverbs. It also doesn't have SW's trademark center-isolated vocals.
Good! I just canceled my deluxe box set based on comments I'm reading.

Looking forward to the new Gorillaz album- with quite a way to go till it’s February 2023 release.

Two tracks are currently released and I noticed that another’ Baby Queen’ (Track 6) features in FIFA 23 video game ( my ears pricked up on this track when my teen son was playing- and I asked him to look up the title ).

Will be interesting to hear track 2 featuring Stevie Nicks…

‘Baby Queen’ track now available on Apple music:

I like it 👍

There appears to be a constant high pitched oscillating sound coming out of the center channel on all tracks. I can only hear this on the Atmos version🤔 - a shame because not only is this an excellent album, but the Atmos mix appears to otherwise excellent. Can anyone else verify this? All of my other Atmos streams via Apple have no such issue - very weird.

Back