Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's on (thanks @adamschoales for the heads up). No Tidal.
Wow!!! What a result! Really enjoying the mix - sounds great. Loving the title track. Door opens in the rears and the footsteps pan across the rear channels! And plenty of isolated sound effects. Hope the ghouls don't start breaking into the house by the end of the track like the video... That would be too immersive! 👹

It's on (thanks @adamschoales for the heads up). No Tidal.
Christmas has come early to my happy lug holes.

This is the real deal.

I'll forgive Apple for increasing the monthly cost...(almost) although I feel it could be a slippery slope for future increases.

But this is one musical gem waiting for the right mix. Ladies and gentlemen I believe it's found it.

Full album now up on Tidal: ID 261139167

Chicago - The Very Best of Chicago - Only the Beginning (Atmos Mix) - 39 tracks in Atmos!

Cover.jpg

Wow!!! What a result! Really enjoying the mix - sounds great. Loving the title track. Door opens in the rears and the footsteps pan across the rear channels! And plenty of isolated sound effects. Hope the ghouls don't start breaking into the house by the end of the track like the video... That would be too immersive! 👹
I just had a moment to listen to the title track. I immediately added it to my “Surround” playlist in Apple Music. Enjoyed that quite a bit.

Chicago - The Very Best of Chicago - Only the Beginning (Atmos Mix) - 39 tracks in Atmos!
Interesting mixes - there's a lot of eerie isolated stuff in the center speaker, like the piano in "Saturday In The Park" and acoustic rhythm guitar in "25 Or 6 To 4". The percussion in the heights at the end of "Beginnings" is fun. I'm not sure I prefer these to the quads, but I'm glad Warner didn't just upmix them.

After disappearing from Tidal and Apple recently this just turned up on Tidal with additional tracks over the original version and different track running order:

Example first two tracks are now:
01 Cold Heart (PNAU Remix) - Elton John & Dua Lipa
02 Hold Me Closer - Elton John & Britney Spears

Elton John - Diamonds (Deluxe) ID: 259713375

Cover.jpg

And on Apple Music:

Not totally unexpected, but confirmed often the artists haven't got a clue about these releases.

Saw Soul Asylum last night, and managed to quickly ask Dave Pirner a question at the end of the pre- show Q&As.

"Dave, you just released Grave Dancers in Dolby Atmos, any plans to release any others?"

Semi- blank look "is that that five one thing?"

New 54 track version (same title and the old one is still there too, how confusing). Now with a blue cover...

After disappearing from Tidal and Apple recently this just turned up on Tidal with additional tracks over the original version and different track running order:

Example first two tracks are now:
01 Cold Heart (PNAU Remix) - Elton John & Dua Lipa
02 Hold Me Closer - Elton John & Britney Spears

Elton John - Diamonds (Deluxe) ID: 259713375

View attachment 85413

I'm listening in 5.1 only, and haven't heard the whole album yet, but halfway through the first song, with isolated vocals in the center and active discrete rears, I thought: sure sounds like a Steven Wilson mix. The songs after that use different mix approaches, so it's probably not him, but it's very enjoyable in any case. Sounds great in 5.1. Spoon always impresses me; they may be repeating themselves somewhat at this point in their career, but it's still great stuff.
Read a Spoon album review a while back - 'sound like the other Spoon records, only better'....to me, this seems to happen every release!

Interesting mixes - there's a lot of eerie isolated stuff in the center speaker, like the piano in "Saturday In The Park" and acoustic rhythm guitar in "25 Or 6 To 4". The percussion in the heights at the end of "Beginnings" is fun. I'm not sure I prefer these to the quads, but I'm glad Warner didn't just upmix them.
I jumped straight to Get Away which I’ve always loved to crank as loud as possible. Then went to Wishing You Were Here and now I’m A Man.

Early to say, but so far I think I also lean toward the quads. (Obviously some of this material, like Get Away, wasn’t in quad.) But based on what I’ve heard with this mix, I’ll be happy listening to it when I’m too lazy to pull out the quad discs. Very enjoyable so far.

I jumped straight to Get Away which I’ve always loved to crank as loud as possible. Then went to Wishing You Were Here and now I’m A Man.

Early to say, but so far I think I also lean toward the quads. (Obviously some of this material, like Get Away, wasn’t in quad.) But based on what I’ve heard with this mix, I’ll be happy listening to it when I’m too lazy to pull out the quad discs. Very enjoyable so far.
All the songs are really, really well done. And no doubt "Hard to Say I'm Sorry/Get Away" is one of the best here, definitely once they switch to that jam, wow! (And on radio for years, they would only play the Hard to Say I'm Sorry portion and cut off Get Away :-( argh!)

(And on radio for years, they would only play the Hard to Say I'm Sorry portion and cut off Get Away :-( argh!)
Agreed. That was a huge radio pet peeve of mine back then.

With more songs having played, I’m ready to commit to buying this if it ever gets released on disc. Unlikely, I imagine, but I live in hope.

Back