Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There appears to be a constant high pitched oscillating sound coming out of the center channel on all tracks. I can only hear this on the Atmos version🤔 - a shame because not only is this an excellent album, but the Atmos mix appears to otherwise excellent. Can anyone else verify this? All of my other Atmos streams via Apple have no such issue - very weird.
Someone posted about this last week. QC issue with the label--it's been reported to Apple, but who knows how long it will take to correct. Wouldn't be the first problem in recent memory with a new Blue Note release; the DOMi and JD Beck album is messed up, too.

There appears to be a constant high pitched oscillating sound coming out of the center channel on all tracks. I can only hear this on the Atmos version🤔 - a shame because not only is this an excellent album, but the Atmos mix appears to otherwise excellent. Can anyone else verify this? All of my other Atmos streams via Apple have no such issue - very weird.
yes its the time code mis-placed in center channel (C). Its an up-mix album from stereo that was probably done by a machine and humans didn't properly check the routing. and of course since it was machine up-mix, nobody including the artists listened before it was shipped out. UMG style up-mixing is what people are suspecting.

yes its the time code mis-placed in center channel (C). Its an up-mix album from stereo that was probably done by a machine and humans didn't properly check the routing. and of course since it was machine up-mix, nobody including the artists listened before it was shipped out. UMG style up-mixing is what people are suspecting.
Crazy that Apple Music still places both this and the DOMi and JD Beck album (which is stereo only, despite being marked Atmos) at the head of the "Jazz in Spatial Audio" row on its "Curated" Spatial Audio page. Is no one at Apple actually listening to these things? I guess that's a rhetorical question.

Last edited:
Not really an ID fan, so I haven't really been paying attention--I vaguely remember people being excited about a couple of their albums showing up in the past--but is this one new to Apple Music? (It only appeared on Ben Dodson's Twitter feed today.)
yes, it's a new release đź‘Ť

edit: no, it's not đź‘Ť

Last edited:
This is a great mix. Really uses the whole space. Guitars mostly above you.
I'm listening in 5.1 only, and haven't heard the whole album yet, but halfway through the first song, with isolated vocals in the center and active discrete rears, I thought: sure sounds like a Steven Wilson mix. The songs after that use different mix approaches, so it's probably not him, but it's very enjoyable in any case. Sounds great in 5.1. Spoon always impresses me; they may be repeating themselves somewhat at this point in their career, but it's still great stuff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221116-230248_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20221116-230248_Instagram.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 0
Back