MMH - New Atmos Decoder (beta) discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was still some 'residue' though - the below image is zoomed out full (time) but vertically zoomed in

Inaudible when playing at normal levels. I wonder why there’s only those parts that are not identical?

Yes it supported. I’ll add to the MMH tool. Interesting to hear what you get from the wides.
When the Atmos decode to 9.1.6 is hanging, I found all individual channel wav files in ...AppData\Local\Temp\MMH\Decode

I can copy them all apart. (even if some of them are still locked by the remaining hanging processes). Closing the MMH windows unlock the files and they don't dissapear. They are deleted in the next decode MMH run.

They all 9.1.6 individual wav files look complete.

Not an elegant way to use MMH, but it works.

Interesting. So all 16 files are same size?

In my testing there seemed to be a few that were 0 bytes.

I’ll do more testing on 9.1.6 decodes.
Yes. waiting for some time for the remaining processes hanging with No CPU, and refreshing the files explorer window you get the full size of the file to appear. Then, with "cancel" the Decode window and closing the MMH windows all files are unlocked.

I have loaded all files in Audacity and listened to some of them and they all look complete.

But Selecting Output: 9.1.6, it does not work and hangs without completion.

Its now fixed. Weird but I had to modify the way I was running the DRP decoder when it was creating 16 ch files as it never exited and continued. Total mystery but now working as it should and creates a 16 channel interleaved wav.

For users with 6.1.14:
Grab a new beta version and install this:
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh/Beta/MMHInstaller.msi
For users that have not yet installed 6.1.14 just go ahead and install 6.1.14 as I've added the Atmos Decoder 9.1.6 fix into that build:
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh/MMHInstaller.msi
Sorry for the confusion but this fix only affects Atmos decoders not 'normal' MMH users and I didn't want to trigger a new round of updates for all :)

Thanks Garry,

Tested 6.3.15 beta 1 and Atmos decoder for 9.1.6 works OK.

Please don't forget to add 9.1.4 and whatever additional layouts needed by others, when you have time for it.

Many thanks for your quick and great effort.

Reactions: mkt
Oops. Atmos decoder (beta) do strange things. It has been after a try of a complete Blu-ray Atmos track without spliting in chapters. It went OK but failed at the end process of compiling the mch WAV. I think some limit was exceeded. The MMH\Decode temp files I think were OK for level listening.

Trying a small split chapter, the 9.1.6 Output has a very high level and clipped. I have never changed the default setting "Apply Channel Gain: 10,0"

Trying again the 7.1.4 output the compilation of the interleaved mch WAV file fails and gives an empty file at the final output.

Testing with TrueHD Atmos. Yesterday was with DD+ Atmos and the channel levels at 7.1.4 did look OK for me withoput changing the Channel Gain: 10,0

I do not have time now to continue testing. I'll do later, after restarting Windows, just in case something was gone bad when trying the whole Blu-Ray.

Correct... Now I'm home I time aligned and they canceled out almost perfectly. There was still some 'residue' though - the below image is zoomed out full (time) but vertically zoomed in:

View attachment 87564
My guess is that there's a little clock drift when captuing the output of the DRP with another app. The MMH conversation should be free of that stuff.

Oops. Atmos decoder (beta) do strange things. It has been after a try of a complete Blu-ray Atmos track without spliting in chapters. It went OK but failed at the end process of compiling the mch WAV. I think some limit was exceeded. The MMH\Decode temp files I think were OK for level listening.

Trying a small split chapter, the 9.1.6 Output has a very high level and clipped. I have never changed the default setting "Apply Channel Gain: 10,0"

Trying again the 7.1.4 output the compilation of the interleaved mch WAV file fails and gives an empty file at the final output.

Testing with TrueHD Atmos. Yesterday was with DD+ Atmos and the channel levels at 7.1.4 did look OK for me withoput changing the Channel Gain: 10,0

I do not have time now to continue testing. I'll do later, after restarting Windows, just in case something was gone bad when trying the whole Blu-Ray.

Something must be wrong in my PC, after that long Atmos decode run of the whole Blu-Ray track.

I have:
- Restarted Windows,
- deinstalled all MMH, MMH 5, and MMH 6.
- Restarted Windows
- Install MMH 6.3.14 from https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh/MMHInstaller.msi

And still the same. The files at the MMH\Decode Temp folder look well generated, but the final Atmos decode WAV interleaved file is generated empty in the final folder.

I think that is done by ffmpeg.

Please, any help on how to clean everything and reinstal again? Asuming MMH is not broken but my PC.

Hi Garry,

I'm trying to write a batch script that will take a set of 5.1.4 wav files converted using MMH Atmos Decode to do the following:

1) Find peak level from the set of files
2) Calculate gain required (i.e. peak level from step 1 minus 0.1dB
3) Apply uniform gain to wav files and save as WavPack
4) Transfer tags from original source Atmos files to WavPack files

The following batch file works fine for steps 1 to 3, but the resultant WavPack files are 32 bit, not 24 bit (as per the wav files) and refuse to play in Foobar. I haven't got to step 4 yet...
@ECHO OFF SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION set path=%path%;"C:\Program Files (x86)\sox-14-4-1";"C:\Program Files (x86)\eac3to";"D:\Dropbox\Portable software\PortableApps\ffmpeg\bin"; SET vol=-200 FOR %%x in (%*) do ( Echo Getting Peak Level of %%~nx%%~xx... ffmpeg.exe -i "%%~nx%%~xx" -filter:a volumedetect -f null /dev/null 2>Stats.txt FOR /F "tokens=1,2,3,4 delims=@[]: " %%A IN (Stats.txt) DO IF %%C==max_volume Echo Peak level of %%~nx%%~xx = %%DdB Echo. FOR /F "tokens=1,2,3,4 delims=@[]: " %%A IN (Stats.txt) DO IF %%C==max_volume IF %%D LSS !vol! SET vol=%%D del Stats.txt ) Echo Overall Peak Level = %vol%dB IF NOT %vol:~0,1%==- ECHO Peak Level is greater that 0dB& goto Abort SET Gain=%vol:~1,-2%%vol:~-1% SET /A "GAIN=GAIN-1" SET Gain=!GAIN:~0,-1!.!GAIN:~-1! Echo %Gain%dB of Gain to be Applied to All Tracks md Gain FOR %%x in (%*) do ( ECHO Adding %Gain%dB of Gain to %%~nx%%~xx and saving as %%~nx.wv... ffmpeg.exe -hide_banner -loglevel error -y -i "%%~nx%%~xx" -filter:a "volume=%GAIN%dB" "Gain\%%~nx.wv" ) Echo %Gain%dB of Gain Added to All Tracks Echo. :Abort pause

Any thoughts? it would be great if MMH could do all the above by default

Last edited:
Hi Garry,

I'm trying to write a batch script that will take a set of 5.1.4 wav files converted using MMH Atmos Decode to do the following:

1) Find peak level from the set of files
2) Calculate gain required (i.e. peak level from step 1 minus 0.1dB
3) Apply uniform gain to wav files and save as WavPack
4) Transfer tags from original source Atmos files to WavPack files

The following batch file works fine for steps 1 to 3, but the resultant WavPack files are 32 bit, not 24 bit (as per the wav files) and refuse to play in Foobar. I haven't got to step 4 yet...
@ECHO OFF SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION set path=%path%;"C:\Program Files (x86)\sox-14-4-1";"C:\Program Files (x86)\eac3to";"D:\Dropbox\Portable software\PortableApps\ffmpeg\bin"; SET vol=-200 FOR %%x in (%*) do ( Echo Getting Peak Level of %%~nx%%~xx... ffmpeg.exe -i "%%~nx%%~xx" -filter:a volumedetect -f null /dev/null 2>Stats.txt FOR /F "tokens=1,2,3,4 delims=@[]: " %%A IN (Stats.txt) DO IF %%C==max_volume Echo Peak level of %%~nx%%~xx = %%DdB Echo. FOR /F "tokens=1,2,3,4 delims=@[]: " %%A IN (Stats.txt) DO IF %%C==max_volume IF %%D LSS !vol! SET vol=%%D del Stats.txt ) Echo Overall Peak Level = %vol%dB IF NOT %vol:~0,1%==- ECHO Peak Level is greater that 0dB& goto Abort SET Gain=%vol:~1,-2%%vol:~-1% SET /A "GAIN=GAIN-1" SET Gain=!GAIN:~0,-1!.!GAIN:~-1! Echo %Gain%dB of Gain to be Applied to All Tracks md Gain FOR %%x in (%*) do ( ECHO Adding %Gain%dB of Gain to %%~nx%%~xx and saving as %%~nx.wv... ffmpeg.exe -hide_banner -loglevel error -y -i "%%~nx%%~xx" -filter:a "volume=%GAIN%dB" "Gain\%%~nx.wav" ) Echo %Gain%dB of Gain Added to All Tracks Echo. :Abort pause

I'd prefer this is optional, as I like the bit perfect rip straight from the MKV/Blu-ray Disc, without adding gain that wasn't in the original.

I have never changed the default setting "Apply Channel Gain: 10,0"

No sure when/why your ‘default’ became 10, but the initial value should be 1 (no gain change). 10 would destroy the mix. I usually use around 3 but 1 gives same results as DRP player.

MMH ‘remembers’ a user’s last setting so once set at any value it remains until a user changes it again.

What is the BD title that crashes on a full non-split MKV file? It’s possible one of the chapter’s decoded WAVs is > 4GB. Currently MMH presumes that won’t happen (but of course it can). I suspect That’s the issue and need to be checked. I’ll do that now.

Please, any help on how to clean everything and reinstal again? Asuming MMH is not broken but my PC

Please see my previous post. It will be a MMH bug. Reinstall latest MMH and I‘ll fix the final step (converting the output to wav)

Nice idea.

An issue with this is it pushes all the songs in an album to the same peak volume. I prefer to use ReplyGain on my music. That finds a gain factor based on all tracks of the album, so when applied the track peaks remain relative (e.g. a quiet acoustic track vs loud electric track).

I would be possible to get ReplayGain stats for each file and apply permanent gain to each based on that.

My player supports reply gain tags so actually no need to permanently alter the file, just save the ReplayGain tags. Although that only works if the WAVs are for playback. Another use case is to permanently edit individual channel volumes to change perceived ‘immersive balance’ before playback (Or even a channel swap or two).

Let‘s look at this once the MMH Atmos Decoder is completed.

Nice idea.

An issue with this is it pushes all the songs in an album to the same peak volume. I prefer to use ReplyGain on my music. That finds a gain factor based on all tracks of the album, so when applied the track peaks remain relative (e.g. a quiet acoustic track vs loud electric track).

I would be possible to get ReplayGain stats for each file and apply permanent gain to each based on that.

My player supports reply gain tags so actually no need to permanently alter the file, just save the ReplayGain tags. Although that only works if the WAVs are for playback. Another use case is to permanently edit individual channel volumes to change perceived ‘immersive balance’ before playback (Or even a channel swap or two).

Let‘s look at this once the MMH Atmos Decoder is completed.
The script works out the gain based on all tracks in the album by finding the overall peak level, so that the relative levels remain as original. This will compensate for the unusually low levels output by the DRP conversion.

No sure when/why your ‘default’ became 10, but the initial value should be 1 (no gain change). 10 would destroy the mix. I usually use around 3 but 1 gives same results as DRP player.

MMH ‘remembers’ a user’s last setting so once set at any value it remains until a user changes it again.

What is the BD title that crashes on a full non-split MKV file? It’s possible one of the chapter’s decoded WAVs is > 4GB. Currently MMH presumes that won’t happen (but of course it can). I suspect That’s the issue and need to be checked. I’ll do that now.

The BD title is the full Atmos Track of Big Phat Band - The Gordian Knot

Yes, probably the final file would be greater than 4GB

But, after reseting , deinstalling MMH and reinstalling MMH last release, when trying with a small track chapter song, that was previously working yesterday, it stills fail to compile the final WAV file, it is created but empty.

So that's why I was thinking about something broken that is not repaired just reinstalling MMH.

Anyway, I will wait for your news. Many Thanks Garry.

Last edited:
Back