Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having tea with George Harrison.
Thought I'd see what's going on...
Looking forward to hearing your feedback! Wonderwall and Electronic Music sound much more discreet. About the rest, I honestly have no clue. The rears sound like a lower volume version of the fronts, but there are times when they don't. I can't say whether they are upmixes or not.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback! Wonderwall and Electronic Music sound much more discreet. About the rest, I honestly have no clue. The rears sound like a lower volume version of the fronts, but there are times when they don't. I can't say whether they are upmixes or not.

You know something is not quite right when I'm listening to the output, by swapping to various speakers.

No centre

Rears have a separate mix, nothing on Zig Zag

Fronts and sides and front heights seem the same

Not got a chair yet, to check the rear heights...which is telling in it self, If I have to do that.
Overall....in my view...this is a lazy mix by someone doing a rush job and who may not be totally conversant with how to mix Atmos.

I have every faith in my speaker set up.

PS: I used a chair for the rear heights, barely a squeak from them.
That's my two cents.

It's so interesting to find that Atmos..
1) can improve a listening experience so much that even popular boring-in-stereo modern day music can be more-than-bearable, and in some cases be revelatory....

while at the same time..
2) can ruin good music (Police, Roxy Music, George Harrison, Rod Stewart and other fake or lazy mixes, etc.)

'When We Was Fab' could have been, should have been, a 7.1.4 showcase mix to present Atmos is al its resplendant immersive glory. Alas, to my ears it sounds flat and uninspired. YMMV

Thanks for the confirmation! I'll just say is that there's a lot of discrete info in the center and rears (not sides), so turn those up! and the vocals circling the speakers on Devil's Radio is really cool :)

Now on Extra Texture

Just the same lazy mixing....grr

Who put their name against these attempts?
Haven't listened for myself yet--I'm not a big enough Harrison fan to be hugely motivated--but these contradictory reports are puzzling. Is it possible that there were placeholder upmixes/unadventurous mixes/AI mixes that are slowly being replaced with better ones, but that the "replacement" process isn't rolling out at the same rate all around the world? (Not sure why Apple would have replaced stereo with "interim" mixes in the first place, though...?)

Last edited:
Haven't listened for myself yet--I'm not a big enough Harrison fan to be hugely motivated--but these contradictory reports are puzzling. Is it possible that there were placeholder upmixes/unadventurous-mixes/AI mixes that are slowly being replaced with better ones, but that the process isn't rolling out at the same rate all around the world? (Not sure why Apple would have replaced stereo mixes with "interim" mixes in the first place, though...?)

It is weird...

Feel free to boot this post if it breaks any rules... It appears that, at least with Tidal, the release of Atmos recordings can be based on where you live. And it appears that a VPN will solve that problem.

Feel free to boot this post if it breaks any rules... It appears that, at least with Tidal, the release of Atmos recordings can be based on where you live. And it appears that a VPN will solve that problem.
What region has the George albums? I have one in the UK and one in the US and don't see it. But my US one doesn't have an active subscription right now so I couldn't know for sure.

Back