Would you purchase new Quadio releases as lossless downloads?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m ok with downloads, but I generally prefer physical media. I rip most of my CDs to my NAS, but the MCH stuff is almost all physical.

Of course, my playback devices are a bit picky about how they are fed files. My Oppo 105 won’t play DSD except through one of its USB ports, so NAS is out for that. I can stream FLAC through just about anything, though.

Physical media is mighty nice. I like handling and looking at collections as part of my enjoyment. But at the same time, I'm keen on trying new technology (even if it is just new to me). I'd purchase downloads, just like someday I hope to try 7.1 or even Atmos. Ultimately it's about the music listening for me. That's where it touches my spirit. So, regardless of the delivery, the music drives the passion...downloads, bring it on.

I'm not particularly enthused about downloads guess I do prefer a physical product although storage is a problem.
I don't even rip and back up which I should learn

But I suspect once I switched to it I would get used to it.

The industry has always been concerned about piracy very easy to share digital files. I would worry they would insert anti copyright garbage into the files or move to a rental model like current streaming.

So for now I prefer to buy a physical product

I listen to lot of music in file form either on flash drives or larger 2+ TB memory devices. Mainly playlists and greatest hits compilation for each artist ripped from my physical disc collection. They are convenient as hell when I am lazy or can’t decide on a specific album. However when I really want to sit down and listen to something specific , I always reach for physical.

I have mentioned this elsewhere on the forum - if we lived in a world of download media only, it must include the artwork, credits, commentary, etc that would have been included in the physical package. All too often I have only seen a cover image, and nothing else. Additionally, these materials need to be available in an accessible format for vision impaired and blind users.

Also, I am well aware that plenty of listeners have difficulties playing multi-channel audio files. I guess if there was a tidy box that would act much like a physical media player, handle all of the various file formats (DSF, FLAC, MP4, MKV, WAV, MP3, etc) - play them gapless in stereo, surround, Atmos, etc, and connect to a processor via HDMI that would be a start. Provided that tidy little box had an awesome media player that gave listeners full access to their vast libraries in whatever wacky methods they want to organize, sort, shuffle, radio-ize, then the world of downloads would be favorable to me. Oh, and remember all of the artwork that comes with the physical media too! Even Roon can't do all of this.... Meanwhile, I will stick with physical media.
I hear what you're saying. But the pc will play all those formats with the right software players...free! As to gapless playback, YMMV.
Of course you still need to be connected to your AVR via HDMI for some formats.

I did soundcards only on the pc for years, until the newer immersive formats came along.

I still prefer the physical product in my hands- ((y) to SDE), after that- downloaded files (hopefully an option more and more in the future) and lastly- the streaming stuff, which has quality limitations so far along with access uncertainty. It's possible they may all co-exist for some time to come.

I buy often now from Qobuz for stereo as they have a large selection of 96x24 album files not available elsewhere (and mastering is good most of the time.) It's also possible to buy just one song from an album if you don't want the whole album.

But I'm also, very surprised with the reluctance for folks here to accept downloaded files; which in the case of IAA, are of the highest quality. :confused:

I actually intend to purchase a large SSD dedicated just for these downloads, and build out my library more.

edit- forgot to answer the Main thread question. Yes, as long as the physical discs weren't available.

Last edited:
I still prefer the physical product in my hands- ((y) to SDE), after that- downloaded files (hopefully an option more and more in the future) and lastly- the streaming stuff, which has quality limitations so far along with access uncertainty. It's possible they may all co-exist for some time to come.

I buy often now from Qobuz for stereo as they have a large selection of 96x24 album files not available elsewhere (and mastering is good most of the time.) It's also possible to buy just one song from an album if you don't want the whole album.

But I'm also, very surprised with the reluctance for folks here to accept downloaded files; which in the case of IAA, are of the highest quality. :confused:

I actually intend to purchase a large SSD dedicated just for these downloads, and build out my library more.

edit- forgot to answer the Main thread question. Yes, as long as the physical discs weren't available.
I'm with the Pupster on this. I prefer to buy discs mainly as I like the tactile interaction/connection with the music, you scan along the shelves and pull out a disc because of its spine colour, the artist, the title, its position, the album cover. If discs aren't available, or the cost to import to the UK is way too high, then I'll buy the download. I have surround & stereo flacs I've ripped or bought for the car, and I find I keep going back to the same ones, which I wouldn't do with discs.

Last edited:
@ForagingRhino since the market for these unreleased quads I would think is pretty niche, have you guys considered the purchase of lossless downloads of the quad master and skipping the Blu-ray manufacturing process entirely?
I would absolutely welcome downloads, PLEASE do. I have neither the space nor desire to collect hard copies of all this material. Just please also include pdf's or whatever of any artwork, books, etc.

Please don't! I want physical releases!
I fully understand your desire for physical releases.
But why would you then deny the desires of others?

The main reason I want a disc, is so I can copy as .iso. So saying that, I guess I prefer discs, but I have bought many downloads and especially like IAA site.
Once ripped, the discs go in the racks. When I only had a few hundred discs I could enjoy looking at them. With a few thousand, it's more of a huge amount of shelving. That's surround mainly, with some stereo SACD's and some burned Quad. All CD's if not part of a box set are themselves boxed up an occupy nearly every nook and cranny here in this small house.

People with limited time.
Why download and not listen?
My stack of unheard discs is bad enough.
I guess I'm different than others here...I don't buy anything unless I hear it once and KNOW I'll like it...
I also check the Internet as much as possible to see how others rate the mix if it's in 5.1...but usually mix quality isn't a factor in my buying decisions...only the actual music!

I am going back and read all these 4 pages, but to answer the thread question, yes, I absolutely would purchase Quadio Lossless Downloads, in fact I would prefer.
NativeDSD is real good, but not my type of music. Sells MCH with PDF booklet.
Immersive Audio Album sells ATMOS and MCH, very good.
HDTracks 99% stereo has some gems, but mostly 50% of time. Many HiRes FLAC's, offering a lot of MQA now, a little DSD.
Sadly, Acoustic Sounds had a very good platform selling downloads FLAC and DSD, but wants there focus to be vinyl and everything else is a side project for them.
I know there others, but I can only comment on my experience.

If I had to vote for the BEST, MCH download site, all things considered it would be NATIVEDSD, just not my kind of music, very unfortunate, but even so I have purchased at least 20-30 downloads from them, Blues, Jazz, and a few Classical.

Back