Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever I listen to an ATMOS mix that seems underwhelming, the first thing I do is to turn the volume up. In many cases, I’m smiling after. In my experience, most ATMOS mixes are quieter than stereo and conventional surround mix counterparts, but they are also more dynamic. Turn it up and play it loud. ( remember when they used to print that on vinyl labels?)
I have seen in forums that they suggest to turn on "Sound Check", so the volume of Atmos and non Atmos songs are about the same. It seems also that people report that this difference of volume has been fixed in iOS7.

I was so excited when I heard this album was getting an Atmos mix, because Roosevelt is one of my favourite new 'finds' of the last few years, but I also feared that as an indie artist he might get either a lame (or fake) Atmos mix because of the $$$ involved. Turns out I needn't have worried, because while it's maybe not a Steven Wilson surround extravaganza, it's still great, in equal turns immersive (which makes the recording sound huge) and discrete. Obviously it takes time to fully digest an album and decide how it measures up to an artist's previous work, but I think the fact that this one has been getting daily spins here so far bodes well for its longevity with me.

Roosevelt is a ridiculously talented as a songwriter, and a musical polymath - he plays guitar, bass, drums, keyboards and engineers and produces his own albums, so basically everything you hear on the record he's responsible for. He also has a sideline as a club DJ, and I think as a result of that he has basically an encyclopedic knowledge of dance music from the last 40 years - on almost every song you can hear influences of '70s disco (especially in the guitar - he actually had Nile Rodgers from Chic guest on his last non-album single called Passion), '80s electronica and pop (I feel like his vocals are somewhere in between Morrissey and Bronski Beat), and '90s and '00s EDM, especially in those huge synthesizer chords. If you have any interest in songwriting-first electronica or dance music, give this album a spin, and if you like it at all I'd encourage you to go back and listen to his previous three albums Roosevelt, Young Romance and Polydans. His non-LP cover of Womack and Womack's Teardrops is an absolute banger too. I hope Embrace is successful enough in streaming that it spurs some more Atmos remixes of his back catalog.

I spent a few months living in Hamilton, Ontario (lazy American shorthand: "the Pittsburgh of Canada") almost 15 years ago--yikes!--which is when I became acquainted with hometown heroes Arkells. I haven't been overly impressed with their output since then, but they're touting this new release as a return to their roots. Seems fair enough. "Shot In the Dark" or "Your Name" are maybe the tracks to start with.

Last edited:
I swear I saw a post here with Apple Music Links to Atmos Speaker Test Tracks but now can't seem to find it. Am I crazy?

i can't check it out properly at the moment but i know many here at QQ will be as relieved as i was to know the Heights go suitably absolutely effing nuts during "All The (Young) Girls Love Alice"..!! 😅🤩🤣
I can confirm that there are isolated vocals in the ceiling speakers on this one:

Your Sister Can't Twist (But She Can Rock 'N Roll) [2014 Remaster]

Overall the non-Diamonds tracks to my ears sound very pleasing... but will leave @fredblue to judge as frankly I ain't qualified enough on this album in comparison.

Back