TV Streaming Services and their Content

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s like a dream! 5 Wes Anderson films, short and long, in one year!
Last night I watched Henry Sugar & to get to the main point: my mind is blown.

Asteroid City is unique, great character development, color palette to suit the content. It is another delightful exercise into the creative frame work we go to Wes Anderson for. Henry Sugar is Wes Anderson on acid.

I have never seen so much green screen & CGI with live actors since Sky Captain in 2004. This reminds me of a TV insurance commercial where an actor gets out of a pool, grabs a towel from nowhere, and moves seamlessly through out his house to the outside where his motorcycle & car is. In other words all the areas that insurance can cover.

This happens through out Henry Sugar with backgrounds, foregrounds moving all around the actors and even has stage hands moving props in and out.

And the Fourth Wall has been broken beyond repair. An actor looking at the camera & speaking dialogue is usually used sparingly. Here all the Dahl narrative is spoken aloud from the actors, looking right at you. It's very distracting at first... as if Harrison Ford spoke all his narration to the camera in Blade Runner.About half way through it just washed over me & I was good.

And it has Richard Ayoade in it having two roles!

I'm not trying to spoil this for someone wanting to watch this. It's just made a huge impression on me. Rattling around in my brain at high RPM. Just giving a hedz up what to expect.

And really I have no idea what the subsequent episodes will be. Seemed like this story arc is closed so could be something entirely different. I will probably watch the first one again, and for sure catch the others.

Last night I watched Henry Sugar & to get to the main point: my mind is blown.

Asteroid City is unique, great character development, color palette to suit the content. It is another delightful exercise into the creative frame work we go to Wes Anderson for. Henry Sugar is Wes Anderson on acid.

I have never seen so much green screen & CGI with live actors since Sky Captain in 2004. This reminds me of a TV insurance commercial where an actor gets out of a pool, grabs a towel from nowhere, and moves seamlessly through out his house to the outside where his motorcycle & car is. In other words all the areas that insurance can cover.

This happens through out Henry Sugar with backgrounds, foregrounds moving all around the actors and even has stage hands moving props in and out.

And the Fourth Wall has been broken beyond repair. An actor looking at the camera & speaking dialogue is usually used sparingly. Here all the Dahl narrative is spoken aloud from the actors, looking right at you. It's very distracting at first... as if Harrison Ford spoke all his narration to the camera in Blade Runner.About half way through it just washed over me & I was good.

And it has Richard Ayoade in it having two roles!

I'm not trying to spoil this for someone wanting to watch this. It's just made a huge impression on me. Rattling around in my brain at high RPM. Just giving a hedz up what to expect.

And really I have no idea what the subsequent episodes will be. Seemed like this story arc is closed so could be something entirely different. I will probably watch the first one again, and for sure catch the others.
My understanding is each of the other shorts (The Swan is out now, saving it for later tonight) are similar presentations of 3 other Roald Dahl short stories, from various different books of his, one of which is stop motion animated fully as well.

Apparently the dialogue, which I agree is fantastic, came about because Wes had difficulty making a script feel like the original story, until he came to the realization the original story can just be the script. I haven’t done a 1-to-1 comparison, there’s likely tweaks and edits here and there, but for the most part it‘s the original text, as written.

R.I.P. RAY STEVENSON
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Stevenson
He was in a lot of shows/movies that I wasn't aware of.
*I've been watching Ahsoka, and wasn't even aware that the actor portraying Baylan Skoll had passed (21 May 2023). I've liked his character in the series; he just doesn't seem like the "all-in" bad guy there, and I'm curious to know if we'll get a chance to see if he stays on the Dark side of things going forward.

1696028558558.png

I watched Flora and Son recently after discovering it was another John Carney directed/written Music movie. I’ve now watched all four his music themed feature films.

These first three are all based in Dublin and about creating music, all dosed with humour and original songs. I highly recommend the first three listed here!!

Flora and Son (2023) - AppleTV+:

I first found out about John Carney after watching this one on TV:

Sing Street (2016):

This was his his first music themed movie:

Once (2006):

And this one based in US is more ‘Hollywood’ style with known actors.
Begin Again (2013):

All worth the time to watch.

Last edited:
NEW from Amazon Prime GEN V [4K/Dolby Vision]: If you liked THE BOYS this is an offshoot of the anti Superhero series which takes place at an elite Academy for 'gifted' teens. Offputting at times and containing some pretty raunchy sexual situations, Prime now has 4 episodes available on their streaming platform. High production values and immersive surround elements make this a no brainer viewing experience for fans of THE BOYS

Bosch: Legacy
Premiering May 6 on IMDb TV (WTF is that & does this also include Amazon Prime???)

Honey got SHOT!, Little Maddie a cop and Harry is not! Oh My!
less of a spinoff and more of a reboot

Bosch: Legacy Season 2 | Out October 20​

*Amazon freevee (with ads)

also...

30 Coins Season 2 | Out October 23rd
on MAX

ABSOLUTELY totally engaging from the Producers of the 007 franchise. Usually despise these kinds of 'contests' but this one kept my rapt attention throughout ALL eight episodes:

Out today on Netflix, the long in development Scott Pilgrim anime. This was pitched as a more faithful adaptation of the comics, but surprise it’s very much not, and instead is it’s own (so far only 3 episodes deep) very interesting thing.

Everyone from the great but flawed live action film from 2010 reprises their roles: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culken, Anna Kendrick, Brie Larson, Alison Pill, Aubrey Plaza and more.

While I’m kind of disappointed that it’s not a faithful adaptation of the books (the movie missed the point that Scott Pilgrim is a slimy jerk), I’m fascinated that they managed to pivot to something new and more interesting… AND kept it a secret.

So far from 3 episodes in, I can confirm the 5.1 mix is quite active. Worth checking out… but maybe check out the movie first so you can understand what’s so surprising about this version.

Just a quick note to everyone here.

Though I am the thread starter on this subject; in no way did I intend to be the main gatekeeper of input for it.

There is so much content out there in the streaming TV world, IMO it takes a combined effort by a social forum "like ours"; to try and cover the best stuff (subjective sure) out there to inform about.

So if you're so inclined, please don't hesitate to post up your favorite streamed shows on here (streamer business/news/info also welcome.)

We should all be (myself included) reminded to also include any audio mix/quality information for these shows, and streamers generally.

Personally, I love the Trailers!

:QQlove to you ALL!!!

Out today on Netflix, the long in development Scott Pilgrim anime. This was pitched as a more faithful adaptation of the comics, but surprise it’s very much not, and instead is it’s own (so far only 3 episodes deep) very interesting thing.

Everyone from the great but flawed live action film from 2010 reprises their roles: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culken, Anna Kendrick, Brie Larson, Alison Pill, Aubrey Plaza and more.

While I’m kind of disappointed that it’s not a faithful adaptation of the books (the movie missed the point that Scott Pilgrim is a slimy jerk), I’m fascinated that they managed to pivot to something new and more interesting… AND kept it a secret.

So far from 3 episodes in, I can confirm the 5.1 mix is quite active. Worth checking out… but maybe check out the movie first so you can understand what’s so surprising about this version.

I've been looking forward to this but rather lost track, so thanks for the review & reminder. I an not familiar with the comic book origin so I don't know how the live action movie is flawed. It is one of my faves & gets watched once a year but it must be when it is very cold & snowy out.

At 13 years old the movie is old enough to evoke nostalgia. But it is not trying to do that, it's trying to be a contemporary movie. As such it captures perfectly society, tech, and culture for that time period. Purple Rain & Fast Times at Ridgemont High do this perfectly also. I call it an inadvertent time capsule.

I see that the animation is done by a Japanese studio Science SARU. But the style is more ersatz anime. It reminds me more of Kim Possible or Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi than anything Gainax or Sunrise. Maybe this style is more true to the comic?

I am pleased they use a J Pop tune for the opening theme. I like the music and on 2nd watch the music co-ordinates with the visuals more than seems apparent:

At any rate this is on my must watch list tonight after din din.

I've been looking forward to this but rather lost track, so thanks for the review & reminder. I an not familiar with the comic book origin so I don't know how the live action movie is flawed. It is one of my faves & gets watched once a year but it must be when it is very cold & snowy out.

At 13 years old the movie is old enough to evoke nostalgia. But it is not trying to do that, it's trying to be a contemporary movie. As such it captures perfectly society, tech, and culture for that time period. Purple Rain & Fast Times at Ridgemont High do this perfectly also. I call it an inadvertent time capsule.

I see that the animation is done by a Japanese studio Science SARU. But the style is more ersatz anime. It reminds me more of Kim Possible or Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi than anything Gainax or Sunrise. Maybe this style is more true to the comic?

I am pleased they use a J Pop tune for the opening theme. I like the music and on 2nd watch the music co-ordinates with the visuals more than seems apparent:

At any rate this is on my must watch list tonight after din din.

It too is one of my favs… but it was made before the series of graphic novels were finished… and takes a completely different approach to the ending and the story. In the comics; Scott hurts everyone in his life, one way or another, and the fights with The League of Evil Ex’s makes him slowly realize the consequences of his actions. The movie touches on it, but not as deeply as the graphic novels do, and in so doing misses the message a bit in my opinion, thus the flawed comment.

The good news is the show seems to be aiming for that core idea… but with an unexpected twist.

It seems Bryan Lee O’Malley, the original author has taken inspiration from the Neon Genesis Evangelion “Rebuild” films… which were marketed as a retelling of the show as higher budget animated films… but instead was an excuse to wipe the slate clean and tell the story again this time with new perspectives. Scott Pilgrim Takes Off is the “Rebuild” of Scott Pilgrim in that it starts to follow the story… but instead veers off wildly into pseudo-sequel territory, with Ramona dealing with those she’s hurt, rather than Scott.

And yeah the visual style is closer to the comic but also blends in elements of the Beat-em-up video game, and more direct anime references.

Worth noting that pdfs of the (new) color editions are currently in a Humble Bundle for $18 (plus you get some other comics): Humble Comic Bundle: Oni Press Great Graphic Novel Bundle

Just finished. It’s absolutely brilliant, and addresses the issues I have with the movie well.

Just finished. It’s absolutely brilliant, and addresses the issues I have with the movie well.
Only had time to watch the first 2 episodes & I'm hooked. I had to re-watch the end of eps 1 and beginning of eps 2 just to make sense of it. I already regret it's only 8 shows.

Amazing that they got the full cast from the movie to do the anime. Just as surprising to me without the actors faces all the voices sound rather generic & not distinctive. The one exception is Aubrey Plaza.

Don't know when but I'm looking forward to enjoying vs The World followed by Takes Off.

I looked at your Humble Comic Bundle and, yes, the anime characterizations really do come close to the original art.

Last edited:
Only had time to watch the first 2 episodes & I'm hooked. I had to re-watch the end of eps 1 and beginning of eps 2 just to make sense of it. I already regret it's only 8 shows.

Amazing that they got the full cast from the movie to do the anime. Just as surprising to me without the actors faces all the voices sound rather generic & not distinctive. The one exception is Aubrey Plaza.

Don't know when but I'm looking forward to enjoying vs The World followed by Takes Off.

I looked at your Humble Comic Bundle and, yes, the anime characterizations really do come close to the original art.
There have been hints about a potential second season before it came out… but also that’s when they were still pretending it was a straight adaptation. Here’s hoping more comes, it’s fantastic.

Back