Dutton Vocalion: What's Next?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not sure about his international fame, but in the US, Barry Manilow was about as big a star as a middle-of-the-road artist could be. But then, nobody here knows about France Gall.
I saw his Manilow on Broadway show in NYC back in the late 1980s. Twice in fact. (It was a radio station promotion thing that I was connected with.) Not only was the show absolutely fantastic (no matter what you thought about his style of music) but the fans were RABID. Mostly middle age white women. The audience was insane and he was/is an incredible showman! Probably the best show I've ever been to.

Barry had, I believe, three quad albums, which could be released on a single two-disc release. I'd buy it! And while we're at it, how about the two Melissa Manchester albums that were released on CD-4? Heck, how about ALL of Arista's quad offerings? Their CD-4 pressings were abysmal, and these albums deserve to be heard at their best.
I'd certainly be in for Melissa Manchester.

That list is missing one or two Arista quads ;

Anthony Braxton - 30 -64○ -308M -C4DM(R)Z (For 4 Orchestras)
Arista A3L-8900 (CD-4) 3 DISCS*

Arista (Q8) GRT 8501-213 IN STORE SAMPLER ;
Theme From S.w.a.t , This Masquerade: Bless The Beasts And Children :
I Write The Songs : & All By Myself (selections by Billy DeVorzon , Eric Carmen , Barry Manilow , and others)

I had the Anthony Braxton 3 CD4 set ....and the music is something between Jazz and Classical New Age.
It was the last Arista quad released , in 1979 or 1978 .
Anyone interested in trying to obtain this album should know ALL copies are
CD -4 DISCRETE. The only single inventory quad from Arista.

I had the Anthony Braxton 3 CD4 set ....and the music is something between Jazz and Classical New Age.
It was the last Arista quad released , in 1979 or 1978 .
Anyone interested in trying to obtain this album should know ALL copies are
CD -4 DISCRETE. The only single inventory quad from Arista.
I'd say somewhere between avant-garde jazz and experimental classical, fizzy. Not something I'd listen to repeatedly, but Braxton is an important figure in 20th and 21st-century music, and the mix is highly discrete: it's called "Four Orchestras" for a reason, and there's an orchestra in each corner.

Last edited:
I saw his Manilow on Broadway show in NYC back in the late 1980s. Twice in fact. (It was a radio station promotion thing that I was connected with.) Not only was the show absolutely fantastic (no matter what you thought about his style of music) but the fans were RABID. Mostly middle age white women. The audience was insane and he was/is an incredible showman! Probably the best show I've ever been to.
No middle aged gay men? I would be surprised if that sizeable segment of his loyal fan base didn’t turn out to see him on Broadway, of all places. Manilow worked with Bette Midler when she was performing at the gay bath houses in NYC right around the Stonewall era, if I’m not mistaken. She blew up right after playing those gigs.

That would be the one to have for me anyway; IINM the mix is pretty good, maybe @fredblue can respond to that, I just don't recall.
yes Mister P., it's a good one, a terrific album and my favourite Arista Quad.

it's not a 'knock you over the head' (discrete-o-matic!) mix, like a Columbia/Epic style mix but it's still solid Surround.

No middle aged gay men? I would be surprised if that sizeable segment of his loyal fan base didn’t turn out to see him on Broadway, of all places. Manilow worked with Bette Midler when she was performing at the gay bath houses in NYC right around the Stonewall era, if I’m not mistaken. She blew up right after playing those gigs.
When I was attending, ur, Mortuary School in Syracuse, New York in 1971, I gathered a bunch of my fellow students and we went to see Bette Midler at a local theater where Barry Manilow was not only her arranger but pianist as well with Melissa Manchester as back up singer. She performed the entirety of THE DIVINE MISS M and was absolutely incendiary🔥! Been a fanboy ever since!

Last edited:
I guess they don’t have McDonalds commercials where you live. 😉
Or, band-aids.

Geez, those companies aren't still using the same jingles 50 years later are they? 🤷‍♂️

I'm guessing anyone not old enough, or lives so far away in another country, as to not know who Barry Manilow is, probably hasn't heard his commercial work either. ;)

Last edited:
I was listening to a 70s music channel last week and Copacabana came on.

I’ve listened to this song since it came out and the “banana” line never fails to amuse me. I wonder if that was originally a placeholder line but then the writers thought, “Nah... we can’t top that.”

Copa copacabana
Like in Havana
Have a banana
Music and passion
Always the fashion

The Barry Manilow titles would be instant buys for me. Always loved those albums and, if I remember correctly, the This One's For You LP was almost impossible to track without distortion. It would be nice to have them with the Dutton touch.

Well, I was there. But I don't think I was quite middle age at the time. 🙂

I'd say somewhere between avant-garde jazz and experimental classical, fizzy. Not something I'd listen to repeatedly, but Braxton is an important figure in 20th and 21st-century music, and the mix is highly discrete: it's called "Four Orchestras" for a reason, and there's an orchestra in each corner.

Yes ok ,humprof. I knew it was something Classical plus .
It was hard to wrap my head around that album's music . Oh and IIRC there isn't a CD-4 or quad indication on the reverse of the box like set ...but nevertheless it is a quad album in CD-4 .

Arista had some stellar artists , but for my tastes , they had only one quad I liked , just barely....Outlaws - Lady In Waiting .

I was disappointed that such big sellers , like The Grateful Dead , Alan Parsons, Patti Smith and Lou Reed were overlooked for quad release.
Mind you the first 3 Lou Reeds are in binaural SBS ., encoding.

Yes ok ,humprof. I knew it was something Classical plus .
It was hard to wrap my head around that album's music . Oh and IIRC there isn't a CD-4 or quad indication on the reverse of the box like set ...but nevertheless it is a quad album in CD-4 .

Arista had some stellar artists , but for my tastes , they had only one quad I liked , just barely....Outlaws - Lady In Waiting .

I was disappointed that such big sellers , like The Grateful Dead , Alan Parsons, Patti Smith and Lou Reed were overlooked for quad release.
Mind you the first 3 Lou Reeds are in binaural SBS ., encoding.
Even in quad, I can only imagine the fun that Steven Wilson would have with the Dead’s double drummers. “St. Stephen,” no pun intended, would be a blast.

List 1970s rock in quad

I'm sure this list is old news around here. Hell, it was probably compiled by someone from QQ. I do see a lot of overlap with existing D-V releases but i also see a lot that I don't believe has seen a digital multichannel release.
Now why cant we have Focus, Passport, Joni Mitchell and Steely Dan?

Back