Dutton Vocalion: What's Next?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The EMI catalog (with some exceptions, like the Beatles, and Jethro Tull, and some of the Harvest artists like Barclay James Harvest, ELO and Pink Floyd) now belongs to Warners, so these would be Quadio releases, if anything. When UMG absorbed EMI in the early 2010s, EU regulators stipulated that they had to sell off 1/3 of their combined music catalog to other established labels as part of anti-trust/competition compliance, and that's how Warners got the EMI titles. When you subtract the aforementioned artists that weren't part of the deal, there aren't that many quad-related items of interest: Mandingo (four albums), John Keating (four albums), Marvin, Welch & Farrar's Second Opinion are probably the best of the lot, but beyond that does anyone want to pay 25 bucks for a reissue of Manuel and the Music of the Mountains, or Ron Goodwin In Concert?

As for the Pye catalog, it is controlled by UMG, but (as I think Mike mentioned on his Life in Surround interview) most of the quad masters are no longer with us - and he would be in a position to know as he worked for Pye/Precision Tapes in the mid-80s. There may be a few stragglers, and perhaps there are safety copies in Japan for the handful of releases that came out there, but with time as a finite resource and better stuff still available from other labels, I can't imagine these are too high on his "to-do" list.

Warner also absorbed the classical catalogues of EMI which include ANGEL which released dozens of excellent sounding SQ encoded discs throughout the 70's. Problem was, IMO, that the vinyl LP pressings were subpar...always full of 'inclusions,' a subject which Michael Fremer touched on in a recent interview!

Example:

Q8S-36060 (Q8) SCOTT JOPLIN: The Red Back Book (Schuller/New
England Conservatory Ragtime Ensemble)

For a complete SQ ANGEL catalogue listing:

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadclas.htm
scroll down to ANGEL

Last edited:
The EMI catalog (with some exceptions, like the Beatles, and Jethro Tull, and some of the Harvest artists like Barclay James Harvest, ELO and Pink Floyd) now belongs to Warners, so these would be Quadio releases, if anything. When UMG absorbed EMI in the early 2010s, EU regulators stipulated that they had to sell off 1/3 of their combined music catalog to other established labels as part of anti-trust/competition compliance, and that's how Warners got the EMI titles. When you subtract the aforementioned artists that weren't part of the deal, there aren't that many quad-related items of interest: Mandingo (four albums), John Keating (four albums), Marvin, Welch & Farrar's Second Opinion are probably the best of the lot, but beyond that does anyone want to pay 25 bucks for a reissue of Manuel and the Music of the Mountains, or Ron Goodwin In Concert?

As for the Pye catalog, it is controlled by UMG, but (as I think Mike mentioned on his Life in Surround interview) most of the quad masters are no longer with us - and he would be in a position to know as he worked for Pye/Precision Tapes in the mid-80s. There may be a few stragglers, and perhaps there are safety copies in Japan for the handful of releases that came out there, but with time as a finite resource and better stuff still available from other labels, I can't imagine these are too high on his "to-do" list.
I think I’d rather spring for Ron Burgundy in Concert.

I think I’d rather spring for Ron Burgundy in Concert.
I, too, would pay good money for that!

Those Mandingos might be worth doing, though.

Mandingo (four albums),I only know of 3 in SQ what is the 4th one is it in SQ?

Thanks for sharing this list. THREE Barry Manilow quads? I thought there were two! C'mon Dutton-heads, let's make this happen somehow.
Would also love the Tony Orlando & Dawn in quad, their music was well-recorded and had some really great arrangements.

Thanks for sharing this list. THREE Barry Manilow quads? I thought there were two! C'mon Dutton-heads, let's make this happen somehow.
Would also love the Tony Orlando & Dawn in quad, their music was well-recorded and had some really great arrangements.
I have two of the three Manilow's. The quad effects are minimal -- mostly reverb not heard in the stereo versions. Still, overall very pleasant.

If you look at that Arista list, the entire thing is pretty much perfect for DV releases!!

Fits in well with DV's usual releases. I wonder who controls Manilow's catalog. He was on Arista
Barry had, I believe, three quad albums, which could be released on a single two-disc release. I'd buy it! And while we're at it, how about the two Melissa Manchester albums that were released on CD-4? Heck, how about ALL of Arista's quad offerings? Their CD-4 pressings were abysmal, and these albums deserve to be heard at their best.

Last edited:
Back