Dutton Vocalion: What's Next?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
List 1970s rock in quad

I'm sure this list is old news around here. Hell, it was probably compiled by someone from QQ. I do see a lot of overlap with existing D-V releases but i also see a lot that I don't believe has seen a digital multichannel release.
it's a very good list!

the truth is many of the more popular albums are already out there in some shape or form and/or upcoming, even many of the biggies that haven't made it to optical disc yet such as Aerosmith, Billy Joel (2 out of 3), Dave Mason, Edgar Winter, Isley Brothers, Janis Joplin, Paul Simon, Santana, Simon & Garfunkel, etc are streaming on Tidal in 360 Reality Audio or Dolby Audio on Apple Music.

past tense in the case of Aerosmith, of course, the streaming Quads sadly disappeared when the catalogue moved to Universal 🥴

things change over time naturally but there are some exceptions that have long been quite out of reach and feel unlikely at this point so i've stopped hoping for them! 😂

in some instances that's because the artists control their catalogue (Barbra Streisand, Janis Ian) or in the case of Bob Dylan where the Quads have never been reissued because licencing's been rejected (DTS were knocked back when they wanted to do the Quads over 20 years ago and seemingly nothing's changed since) and when the late great Minnie Riperton's catalogue went from Epic to Capitol, so did any chance of Sony 360 Reality Audio or Dutton Vocalion SACD releases of her fabulous pair of Quads.

all that said, i wish we could get a bitchin' batch of DV goodness this side of Xxxmas..!! keeping everything crossed!! including my legs!! 🙏🤞🤩🦶🍀

I would like to see the rest of the BTO Quads get a release, with maybe the stereo “Freeways” complete a “2’fer.” Or would take BTO on a one title per disc basis, if that’s what is needed. Also need to catch up on more then a few recent past releases. So, a nice order will be placed shortly.

I would like to see the rest of the BTO Quads get a release, with maybe the stereo “Freeways” complete a “2’fer.” Or would take BTO on a one title per disc basis, if that’s what is needed. Also need to catch up on more then a few recent past releases. So, a nice order will be placed shortly.
we've got DTS' No Fragile.. Mr. Dutton's splendid 2-fer doofer.. what is it, 3 BTO Quads left still to redo? 🤔

Somewhat OT, but wish we had a crystal ball to determine what SONY Japan has in store for their future QUAD release schedule in special 7" packaging. We know the Santanas are most probably in the pipeline and of course look forward to them but I'm sure there are some Columbia/Epic QUADS which were only released in Japan which are worthy of reissue.

And hopefully Adam, perhaps Michael Dutton can 'wrangle' those two Minnie Riperton QUADs from UMG for a future release. They are indeed spectacular!

Any interest in these:
MICHAEL NESMITH & THE FIRST NATIONAL BAND -
Loose Salute. RCA PQ8-1633 (Q8)
Magnetic South. RCA PQ8-1636 (Q8), R4P-5018 (CD4) [Japan]
Every-so-often I think of pulling the trigger on those albums, but never have. It’s not normally music I’d listen to, but there is something interesting about it. If it came out in quad, I’d grab ‘em.

we've got DTS' No Fragile.. Mr. Dutton's splendid 2-fer doofer.. what is it, 3 BTO Quads left still to redo? 🤔

Yes, here’s the Quad titles for BTO:

BACHMAN TURNER OVERDRIVE -
II. Mercury MQ8-1-696 (Q8), Philips 4DX-57 (CD4) [Japan]
Bachman Turner Overdrive. Mercury MQ8-1-673 (Q8), Mercury
4DX-56 (CD4) [Japan]
Four Wheel Drive. Mercury MQ8-1-1027 (Q8)
Head On. Mercury MQ8-1-1067 (Q8)
Not Fragile. Mercury H-11004 (QR), MQ8-1-1004 (Q8), Mercury
4DX-45 (CD4) [Japan]

While “Not Fragile” was released on DTS-CD, and sounds good, it’s been OOP in surround for about 20 years. So, it would be great to get the title in Lossless sound, along with the stereo, and the other two Quad titles. “Head On” (1975) was the last BTO Quad release, and “Freeways” (1977) was the last with Randy Bachman, until a reunion album came out in 1984 - according to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachman–Turner_Overdrive_discography

Well it would be a really nice way to round out the end of the year if we got four to six wonderful popular, rock, and jazz albums out on DV set for ordering just as Quadio put up their four next ones on the 13th of this month.

Can you imagine the riches. It would be more quadraphonic heaven. I want to be positive about it. Some good things are right around the corner.

List 1970s rock in quad

I'm sure this list is old news around here. Hell, it was probably compiled by someone from QQ. I do see a lot of overlap with existing D-V releases but i also see a lot that I don't believe has seen a digital multichannel release.
Not sure when that article was written (seems a bit fated) but it comes across slightly pessimistic about the interest in seeing the old quad mixes coming out, flatly stating little interest, which is just not true. And then now we've seen the best of the stuff listed actually came out on shinny digital discs.

Any interest in these:
MICHAEL NESMITH & THE FIRST NATIONAL BAND -
Loose Salute. RCA PQ8-1633 (Q8)
Magnetic South. RCA PQ8-1636 (Q8), R4P-5018 (CD4) [Japan]
I would buy those in a heartbeat. Those are not easy albums to get nice sounding copies of. They might take a few listens to grow on the casual listener, but they did grow on me.

Back