Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read all the Dune books (about 3 times!), and thought this new film Part-1 was wonderful, eagerly waiting for Part-2 to emerge on BD
Same here! I have Part 1 in 4K and will be nabbing the 4K of Part 2 on release (and will watch all 5 and a half hours of both back to back). While I wait, I should probably get around to watching the Sci-Fi Channel Mini-series’es

Prey (2023) 4K:

A decent surround mix with lots of room-shaking lows and times of cool discrete surround activity which soon gets forgotten as they return to the weak script and kinda confusing action/direction/editing. I really wanted to like it and it could have been great but found it a bit of a bore. It meant well though. I'd put it in the brain-off-volume-up pile.

While I wait, I should probably get around to watching the Sci-Fi Channel Mini-series’es
I haven't watched Children of Dune, but the first miniseries is a favorite of mine. Just go in with low expectations of production values—think theatre, rather than film—and you won't be disappointed. Of special note is the lighting design by cinematographer Vittorio Storaro, perhaps most famous for his work with Francis Ford Coppola on Apocalypse Now. Overall, I find it to be a very satisfying adaptation of the book.

I haven't watched Children of Dune, but the first miniseries is a favorite of mine. Just go in with low expectations of production values—think theatre, rather than film—and you won't be disappointed. Of special note is the lighting design by cinematographer Vittorio Storaro, perhaps most famous for his work with Francis Ford Coppola on Apocalypse Now. Overall, I find it to be a very satisfying adaptation of the book.
I got the first one for Christmas, just haven’t gotten around to it. Just ordered a copy of Children of Dune off of amazon to complete the set. Only missing Jodorowsky’s Dune physically to complete my “Dune On Screen” collection (I have the Arrow 4K of Lynch’s Dune, and the standard 4K of 2021)

Prey (2023) 4K:

A decent surround mix with lots of room-shaking lows and times of cool discrete surround activity which soon gets forgotten as they return to the weak script and kinda confusing action/direction/editing. I really wanted to like it and it could have been great but found it a bit of a bore. It meant well though. I'd put it in the brain-off-volume-up pile.
My favorite PREDATOR movie remains the first and no matter what you read, the 3D version is a total knock out on my LG OLED TV!

91py-L-S27L._SL1500_.jpg

Im sooo buying Dune p2 after I see it in the cinema But should I buy a blu-ray version or is there a dvd format that superior soundwise somehow?
The one thing I fault Villenueve for in this is hiring Hans Zimmer because I totally dislike all that female wailing that runs all the way through Dune part one OMG what was he thinking with that?!
In fairness he hired Zimmer for Bladerunner 2049 and I liked it but I wish he had got Vangelis instead (was he even available) because I really like the first Bladerunner OST

Im sooo buying Dune p2 after I see it in the cinema But should I buy a blu-ray version or is there a dvd format that superior soundwise somehow?
The one thing I fault Villenueve for in this is hiring Hans Zimmer because I totally dislike all that female wailing that runs all the way through Dune part one OMG what was he thinking with that?!
In fairness he hired Zimmer for Bladerunner 2049 and I liked it but I wish he had got Vangelis instead (was he even available) because I really like the first Bladerunner OST
No dvd will sound better than the blu-ray

That is very interesting? I (obviously) guessed the other way around..
(hope youre not being sarcastic?)
Would anyone else like to verify that or give a second opinion?
Not sure if you're being sarcastic but DVD is pretty much a stone age format (although Blu-ray could be considered antiquated by this point as well, being introduced way back in 2006).

The 4K/Blu-ray version of Dune Pt.2 will include a lossless Atmos track at 48/24 and I'm sure the DVD version will include a lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 track at a very low bitrate.

Vangelis died on May 17, 2022. He had reportedly been in poor health for at least the last two years of his life. I somehow doubt that he would have been available when Dune Part 1 got off the ground for principal filming in spring 2019(though, to be fair, Villenueve signed on for the project in 2017 when Vangelis was already 74). :(

Last edited:
No dvd will sound better than the blu-ray
That is very interesting? I (obviously) guessed the other way around..
(hope youre not being sarcastic?)
Would anyone else like to verify that or give a second opinion?
Like the once venerable laserdisc which was repaced by the DVD and did offer better picture [but not necessarily sound since they both sported DTS/DD 5.1] Blu~Ray was a vast improvement on both.

And in this day and age I cannot comprehend how a person would have just a DVD player and not invest in a basic blu ray player since the latter unsamples DVD to 1080p [well, NOT REALLY] and ironically, blu ray discs are sometimes even cheaper than DVDs......but the majors still churn out basic DVDs because a big chunk of the population still have ONLY DVD players!

And now we have 4K players which not only upsample DVDs but blu ray discs as well and offer approximately 5x's more resolution than even Blu Ray! And offer visual enhancements like HDR10+ and Dolby Vision which enhance the contrast levels and colors of the video experience.

So your basic question is should I replace my DVD player and upgrade to a blu ray ...... ABSOLUTELY.

And you'll never look back until you invest in a 4K video monitor and take the ultimate plunge [for now] and EMBRACE 4K!

Last edited:
Like the once venerable laserdisc which was repaced by the DVD and did offer better picture [but not necessarily sound since they both sported DTS/DD 5.1] Blu~Ray was a vast improvement on both.

And in this day and age I cannot comprehend how a person would have just a DVD player and not invest in a basic blu ray player since the latter unsamples DVD to 1080p [well, NOT REALLY] and ironically, blu ray discs are sometimes even cheaper than DVDs......but the majors still churn out basic DVDs because a big chunk of the population still have ONLY DVD players!

And now we have 4K players which not only upsample DVDs but blu ray discs as well and offer approximately 5x's more resolution than even Blu Ray! And offer visual enhancements like HDR0 and Dolby Vision which enhance the contrast levels and colors of the video experience.

So your basic question is should I replace my DVD player and upgrade to a blu ray ...... ABSOLUTELY.

And you'll never look back until you invest in a 4K video monitor and take the ultimate plunge [for now] and EMBRACE 4K!
I can't argue with you Mr. Ralph, except that my TV is a Sony Bravia 1080p model. My wife and I pretty much only stream movies, so 1080p is sufficient (at least for us). Also, my wallet would be on life support if I started collecting movies in 4K UHD.

I can't argue with you Mr. Ralph, except that my TV is a Sony Bravia 1080p model. My wife and I pretty much only stream movies, so 1080p is sufficient (at least for us). Also, my wallet would be on life support if I started collecting movies in 4K UHD.
Totally understand Mr E ....but you are missing out on the amazing amount of 4K content on the streaming services which this crazy videophile {ME] could NEVER LIVE WITHOUT!

Or are you and the missus holding out for the BIG 8K launch? LOL!

BTW, that new Vegas Sphere is replete with 18K ...... Whew!

Super shocking! Discover the secrets of a new Las Vegas landmark

Totally understand Mr E ....but you are missing out on the amazing amount of 4K content on the streaming services which this crazy videophile {ME] could NEVER LIVE WITHOUT!

Or are you and the missus holding out for the BIG 8K launch? LOL!

BTW, that new Vegas Sphere is replete with 18K ...... Whew!

Super shocking! Discover the secrets of a new Las Vegas landmark
TBH, the missus has never really been one for "tech." Sometimes I feel like I'm bringing her kicking and screaming into the 21st century. 🤷‍♂️

Back