Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never seen it, as a movie is it any good? (not all Criterion releases should be touted as classics .. )
I can only describe it as a very retro gritty Western which paints a very bleak picture of the Old West in true Robert Altman fashion with a marvelous soundtrack by Leonard Cohen.

Warren Beatty and Julie Christie are excellent in their respective roles and would later reunite in a remake of HEAVEN CAN WAIT but with Altman's trademark overlapping dialogue and mud strewn landscapes even critics were divided over its merits! But it did influence the look of future Westerns which previously had painted a more Hollywoodish and romanticized portrait of the old West ...which in hindsight, was anything but glamorous!

I have Criterion's excellent 1080p BD~V whose negative the 4K remaster was struck from and am still debating whether to upgrade!

Great sounding surrounds on Blu-ray. Great production too, one of the best I’ve seen on stage or film.
IMG_1573.jpeg

A GREAT forthcoming deal from Paramount Pictures .... due May 21st:

Paramount has just revealed something very interesting: A slate of new “All Four Formats” packages of popular catalog titles is due on 5/21 for just $10.99 each on Amazon! Each of these includes 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD, and a Digital code in a regular DVD case—a helluva good deal! And the titles in question include John Carpenter’s Escape from LA (1996), The Hunt for Red October (1990), Shutter Island (2010), Interstellar (2014), The Untouchables (1987), Beverly Hills Cop (1984), Cloverfield (2008), A Quiet Place(2018), and The Lost City (2022). Sure, it’s a little wonky to be getting 4K in a DVD box, but at that price it’s hard to complain. Click on each of the title links to pre-order them on Amazon.

UPDATE from thedigitalbits regarding pre~orders for James Cameron's THE ABYSS, ALIENS and TRUE LIES:

Many of you have reported having trouble getting your pre-orders fulfilled, or have seen shipping dates delayed, whether from Amazon, Walmart, Disney Movie Club, Target, or what have you. This is apparently due to distribution issues resulting from—we strongly suspect—demand for these titles outstripping Disney’s expectations. In any case, more product is being replicated and shipped to distributors and retailers, so these issues should clear up over the next week or two.

Hopefully, this will send a strong message to Disney that people still want to buy catalog 4K titles—a good sign for the future.

Of course, I've heard of this movie, but in my mind, I don't remember it being Tom Selleck. Sounds like a pretty good flick.
It is surprisingly entertaining. It is in my cart to snatch on a price drop.
The Crow and Dune Part 2 on the other hand I preordered the steelbook and am prepared to have overpaid.

It is surprisingly entertaining. It is in my cart to snatch on a price drop.
The Crow and Dune Part 2 on the other hand I preordered the steelbook and am prepared to have overpaid.
LOVE those steelbook editions. In a strange way they remind me of those huge film cans which used to be delivered to the local cinemas containing reels of 35mm film!

And in my Super 8mm days, all my edited reels likewise were stored in metal film containers!

And surpirsingly, some of them [even 4K] can be purchased for as little as 10 bucks!

Revisiting some Indian films recently...the best part about some of these films is that recording sync-sound wasn't common practice till the 2010s...so all the films were dubbed in post...allowing some engineers to make some pretty engaging surround mixes!

Back