Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is very interesting? I (obviously) guessed the other way around..
(hope youre not being sarcastic?)
Would anyone else like to verify that or give a second opinion?
Blu-ray can contain a hell of a lot more data than a DVD can, so any blu-ray can outperform any DVD. That being said, it’s certainly possible to have a provenance chain that is superior on a DVD than one on a BD (just because it’s a superior format doesn’t mean the content is superior), but in the case of Dune II, i’d go with the newest format you can play. If you can’t play BD, you are missing out.

I can't argue with you Mr. Ralph, except that my TV is a Sony Bravia 1080p model. My wife and I pretty much only stream movies, so 1080p is sufficient (at least for us). Also, my wallet would be on life support if I started collecting movies in 4K UHD.
DVDs don’t do 1080. Maybe your TV upsamples (my Oppo 105 does a pretty good job of that) so you get a decent picture anyway. But if you have a BD player, the difference is noticeable, even with my 76-year-old eyes, and so is the audio.

TBH, the missus has never really been one for "tech." Sometimes I feel like I'm bringing her kicking and screaming into the 21st century. 🤷‍♂️
Mine can’t figure out the universal remote, so unless she’s streaming on her ipad, I operate the gear.
🫤

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but DVD is pretty much a stone age format (although Blu-ray could be considered antiquated by this point as well, being introduced way back in 2006).

The 4K/Blu-ray version of Dune Pt.2 will include a lossless Atmos track at 48/24 and I'm sure the DVD version will include a lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 track at a very low bitrate.
Aahh wait a minute ...
Doh!
My mistake was to read your comment as if you had put a comma after "No, - dvd will sound better than the blu-ray"
Sry to cause confusion
Im an old man my knees are tired my eyes are bent... my nose is knackered.

I have this ... and I will totally wait for and get Dune p2 on BR
But my monitor an Asus Tuf is not good enough for the 4k at all at all

(looks like I got the last one)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 03-03-24 at 03.31 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 03-03-24 at 03.31 PM.JPG
    381.7 KB · Views: 0
I have this ... and I will totally wait for and get Dune p2 on BR
But my monitor an Asus Tuf is not good enough for the 4k at all at all

(looks like I got the last one)
Are you sure that external BR drive will even handle 4K discs? I don't see it mentioned. If that is the case then you don't need your monitor to handle 4K, just 1080 high def.

Are you sure that external BR drive will even handle 4K discs? I don't see it mentioned. If that is the case then you don't need your monitor to handle 4K, just 1080 high def.
4k? no not sure at all! If it manages to play the bluray I'll be happy enough
You see this pc I got last year it doesnt have internal disc reader of any sort it was built and bought for me as a birthday gift
But I have this ASUS ProArt Display PA329CV Professional Monitor* in my amazon wishlist for when I can afford to get it
and a decent 'disc' player
What is your 4k player recommendation? bear in mind Im living in Dublin Europe
Because supplies to us are probably much different availability wise

=====​

has *4k clearly mentioned in the rest of the description

Last edited:
4k? no not sure at all! If it manages to play the bluray I'll be happy enough
You see this pc I got last year it doesnt have internal disc reader of any sort it was built and bought for me as a birthday gift
But I have this ASUS ProArt Display PA329CV Professional Monitor* in my amazon wishlist for when I can afford to get it
and a decent 'disc' player
What is your 4k player recommendation? bear in mind Im living in Dublin Europe
Because supplies to us are probably much different availability wise

=====​

has *4k clearly mentioned in the rest of the description
The Sony UBP-X800M2 is about £300 in the UK, it plays 4K blu rays, normal blu rays, dvd-audio and SACD, so a universal player.
If you don’t mind buying 2nd hand the player I use is fantastic and reasonably priced and plays all the aforementioned discs except 4K, I got mine last year for £80 and occasionally see it for similar on ebay, it’s a Yamaha BD-A1040 Aventage, I prefer it to the Sony as it has a display which the Sony doesn’t

Back