Def Leppard 'Pyromania' - Atmos version (4CD/Blu-Ray set with Giles Martin Dolby Atmos mix coming in April!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Atmos is the big deal these days, but I’d love to hear some comments on the 5.1 mix if anyone listens to it 😁
I think the 5.1 mix sounds fantastic. Plenty going on in the rears with background vocals, synths etc...I even caught a few vocal lines during solos I never noticed before. Sav's bass is much more prominent and organic sounding. It helps that there is not one ounce of filler on this record.

Looks like ImportCDs still has the best price at $72.42 USD. I had it in my cart but didn't purchase for lack of funds. ICDs sent a $5 discount today so it's a no brainer when cash hits my Paypal account. Sounds like a winner; looking forward to a listen!

Looks like ImportCDs still has the best price at $72.42 USD. I had it in my cart but didn't purchase for lack of funds. ICDs sent a $5 discount today so it's a no brainer when cash hits my Paypal account. Sounds like a winner; looking forward to a listen!
Has anyone who ordered from Import CDs got their package yet or receive shipping notification?

I'm in a weird spot. I pre-ordered from them, had the credit card I used get compromised, and when I asked if I could give them the new credit info was told that there is no way to change the payment info on an existing order. If they can't get payment from the original information supplied on the order, then it will be cancelled and my best bet is to re-order.

I don't want to do that before I can confirm that the original order failed. I had the same deal happen with an SDE pre-order for Mark Knopler I placed at about the same time, They were still able to get payment even though the card had been cancelled (I guess it had already been approved.

Has anyone who ordered from Import CDs got their package yet or receive shipping notification?

I'm in a weird spot. I pre-ordered from them, had the credit card I used get compromised, and when I asked if I could give them the new credit info was told that there is no way to change the payment info on an existing order. If they can't get payment from the original information supplied on the order, then it will be cancelled and my best bet is to re-order.

I don't want to do that before I can confirm that the original order failed. I had the same deal happen with an SDE pre-order for Mark Knopler I placed at about the same time, They were still able to get payment even though the card hayescancelled (I guess it had already been approved.
Yes, mine arrived 2 days ago, from importCD. Yes, they sent me a shipped notification before I received it. As they always do.

This just posted by one listner: Atmos >7.1 and the 5.1 track.

Very underwhelming mix, very stereo centric. The 5.1 mixes on the music video Rock of Ages greatest hits compilation are much better, imo. The SQ is a little better on the Blu Ray.

I haven't played it yet so I'm really hoping this isn't true.

Please post your thoughts on the surround/Atmos mix and overall SQ.

This just posted by one listner: Atmos >7.1 and the 5.1 track.

Very underwhelming mix, very stereo centric. The 5.1 mixes on the music video Rock of Ages greatest hits compilation are much better, imo. The SQ is a little better on the Blu Ray.

I haven't played it yet so I'm really hoping this isn't true.

Please post your thoughts on the surround/Atmos mix and overall SQ.
One random listener? From where?

Not a random listener but a long time member of another AV forum which I won't mention.
I really don't want to get into where and such but want to know from others if this has any merit?

Not a random listener but a long time member of another AV forum which I won't mention.
I really don't want to get into where and such but want to know from others if this has any merit?
I couldn't disagree more. The mixes on the Rock of Ages DVD pale in comparison to these new mixes . The mix is plenty discrete and sounds great.

Do consider this a very quick summary of this title.
  • It rocks, with bass management, this thing kicks and cranks.
  • Instrumentally, it sounds amazing, the Atmos is very effective
  • Often, Joe Elliot's vocals are super recessed and the instrumentation take over
  • That said, at times, his vocals are represented just fine.

This is a freaking rock album, and this version cranks. It's unfortunate that with Joe, his vocals are recessed many times and if this were a Wilson mix, undoubtedly, Joe would be in the center channel and you WOULD hear him equally with the band.

It's NOT a deal breaker for me. My plan is to simply crank the hell out of this and enjoy the band as a whole. It rocks, and don't forget it. I don't have any other versions that sound this BIG.

I think one thing that is unfortunate, the opening song is one of the worst ones for Joe's vocals being drowned out by the band. It does get better, but is back and forth I'd say. If I were to vote now......

If this were an instrumental album, I'd vote a 9. Considering vocals and band, I'd probably give a 7 or 8. Probably an 8.

Last edited:
Well this is very encouraging! Thank You!!
I'm looking forward to hearing the album myself. I was just kind of shocked when I read that comment as it was the first one posted.

Do consider this a very quick summary of this title.
  • It rocks, with bass management, this thing kicks and cranks.
  • Instrumentally, it sounds amazing, the Atmos is very effective
  • Often, Joe Elliot's vocals are super recessed and the instrumentation take over
  • That said, at times, his vocals are represented just fine.

This is a freaking rock album, and this version cranks. It's unfortunate that with Joe, his vocals are recessed many times and if this were a Wilson mix, undoubtedly, Joe would be in the center channel and you WOULD hear him equally with the band.

It's NOT a deal breaker for me. My plan is to simply crank the hell out of this and enjoy the band as a whole. It rocks, and don't forget it. I don't have any other versions that sound this BIG.

I think one thing that is unfortunate, the opening song is one of the worst ones for Joe's vocals being drowned out by the band. It does get better, but is back and forth I'd say. If I were to vote now......

If this were an instrumental album, I'd vote a 9. Considering vocals and band, I'd probably give a 7 or 8. Probably an 8.
I'm glad you and I agree Gene.
Vocals are the negative, damn, almost on the verge of greatness.
Listening Atmos now at 80db. Definitely helps the vocals to play loud.
The end of Billy's Got A Gun, is very cool.
Ripped Blu Ray, MKV file, 24bit/48Khz. DR's are 12's, 13's, 14.
R-30502033-1714344639-1182.jpg

Tracks 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7 sounded good on headphones. Pending the opportunity to use my sound system, courtesy of Medusa and her Mother Hydra, further comments on Alanis Morissette and Pet Shop Boys will follow. Currently, I am restricted to using headphones due to my new neighbors that lean their ears on my wall.

Received my set from the Def Leppard store today (the correct set, not vinyl 😉), and I have to say: at $100 MSRP—which I paid—I'm quite disappointed in the packaging. It's a very small box:

IMG_1581.jpeg

(Banana for scale. :LB)

At $50, I wouldn't have batted an eye, but for $100, I expected something a bit grander. 🫤

Better than The Tragically Hip Phantom Power 25th Box, that cost me £60, I got a shock when this small packet turned up, the Box Set is a quarter of the size of the £70 Pyromania! The costs for everything seem to be on the up.

Better than The Tragically Hip Phantom Power 25th Box, that cost me £60, I got a shock when this small packet turned up, the Box Set is a quarter of the size of the £70 Pyromania! The costs for everything seem to be on the up.
Good point. I don't remember what I paid for that little clamshell.

Back