Dual Disc Donald Fagen Nightfly DualDisc Questions - Please help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbmay75

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi everyone,

I can't seem to get a straight answer about this so I hope anyone here who owns this can help me:

1) Is the DVD-A side IDENTICAL to the original DVD-A?

2) Is the CD side remastered or does it sound like the original CD?

Thanks so much in advance for your help

Dan

Quiet bunch here. I dug a little deeper and found out that the DualDisc DVD-A side is identical to the stand alone DVD-A so while you have the vulnerability of having a two-sided disc, you also get the redbook for car/office listening too. As for the CD side, it appears to be the same as the standard redbook.

For those who still haven't picked up the DVD-A but don't want to pay the crazy price for it, there are some copies floating around online if you look hard enough. Enjoy!

Dan

I was about to track down my DualDisc but couldn't find it. I forgot I put my stash of "Boston Test Market" DualDiscs in deep storage, but I had remembered that I actually opened one of the Fagen's when I first bought it in the Best Buy at Framingham.

Wasn't there some controversy about the DualDisc not being able to hold as much on the DVD-A side as a "real" DVD-A? The whole DualDisc thing really is a thorn in my side, as it seemed to really kill off the legit DVD-A product as well as comitting suicide on its own, thanks in part to Sony. Why the DVD-A group ever went along with it is beyond me.

I was about to track down my DualDisc but couldn't find it. I forgot I put my stash of "Boston Test Market" DualDiscs in deep storage, but I had remembered that I actually opened one of the Fagen's when I first bought it in the Best Buy at Framingham.

Wasn't there some controversy about the DualDisc not being able to hold as much on the DVD-A side as a "real" DVD-A? The whole DualDisc thing really is a thorn in my side, as it seemed to really kill off the legit DVD-A product as well as comitting suicide on its own, thanks in part to Sony. Why the DVD-A group ever went along with it is beyond me.

The DVD-A group went along with it in my opinion because straight DVD-A had already flopped and this was a chance at a product that might sell, of course we now know it didn't, but it is incorrect to state it killed DVD-A. SACD was the more successful product in terms of sales at the time and it might have been believed that a single disc with both CD and high resolution was needed for the DVD-A side. SACD was a cash drain for Sony and was a big flop as well. A smarter move might have been to avoid DualDisc which had some issues, like limited DVD side capacity and incompatibility with some players since the result was basically none of the products could move forward with a viable market. I can't imagine the test market results indicated DualDisc should go ahead and launch so I suspect Warner and the others just ignored their own tests.

I have a bunch of DualDiscs and like them despite having some CD sides that don't play in some players. The DualDiscs with 48kHz/16-Bit PCM stereo DVD side didn't offer much and I only have a few of those. Now I hope there is never an issue with the way these dual sided discs are put together and the discs last over time. I don't recall seeing any DualDiscs releases in some time and at least we see some straight DVD-A and SACD releases so apparently the market likes those two much better, although with rare exceptions, the market has avoided all of them really.

I have the Fagen Nightly DualDisc and the DVD side is identical to the straight DVD-A as far as I know. I don't believe the CD was remastered for that release but was remastered for the Fagen MVI set.

Chris

The DVD side of a DualDisc is exactly the same as a standard single layer DVD(DVD5). The only limitation was that it couldn't be a dual layer (DVD9). The CD side was the real culprit - mainly because of it's limited play time - ideally only 64 minutes but some labels tried to squeeze up to 70 minutes with varying degrees of success or lack thereof.

When the DualDisc first came out there was concern of damage to car stereo players but that wasn't really the problem. Most of the readability issues came from certain CD rom drives.

The true engineer of the DualDiscs demise (not DVD A - which was already heading downhill at the time) was Sony's Andrew Lack. A movie guy who was put in charge of the music division. He was looking to compete with the "extras laden" feature of DVD movies which was competing for the same entertainment dollar as music. He could of cared less about multichannel sound and under his regime, completely sucked the life out of SACD at Sony. As is often the case, he was replaced after a short while but the damage had already been done.

Thanks for confirming what I thought with specifics; DualDisc arrived as an unsupported, underperforming marketing answer to a question few consumers and no MCD Hi Res Audio buffs were asking themselves. Should we throw out quality for simple convenience?

Ironic the fellow's name is 'Lack', I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for confirming what I thought with specifics; DualDisc arrived as an unsupported, underperforming marketing answer to a question few consumers and no MCD Hi Res Audio buffs were asking themselves. Should we throw out quality for simple convenience?

Ironic the fellow's name is 'Lack', I'll leave it at that.

It should be noted that DualDisc originally was supported by all five majors (Sony had yet to merge with BMG) and 5.1/Silverline Entertainment. It was only under Lack though that Sony and then SonyBMG took the lead into the abyss.

.... but it is incorrect to state it killed DVD-A. .....

It sure didn't help! :( (It didn't help SACD either)

Actually, the best and most popular DualDisc did not even display the word "DualDisc" anywhere in or on the packaging! :smokin

It's also interesting to note that after releasing it's last DualDisc, WB/Rhino went on to release "At War with the Mystics", "The Two Towers", "Perception", "If I Could Only Remember My Name", "Return of the King", and maybe we'll see "Songs For Beginners".

Also, we can thank our lucky stars that "Love" did not appear as a DualDisc.

Ahhhhh, yes!!!!! That's definitely a good one. I have the SACD, but you're probably right. I can't recall seeing any DualDisc sticker on it when I last looked at it in the stores.

If anybody is looking for this DualDisc, Music for a Song, both online and brick and mortar store, has it. The price, $10, is great in my opinion:Chris

AND I can confirm that it is really the dualdisc and not a miss-listed regular CD. I just received my new/sealed copy from the amazon seller. So no worries on ordering this.

AND I can confirm that it is really the dualdisc and not a miss-listed regular CD. I just received my new/sealed copy from the amazon seller. So no worries on ordering this.

Ditto for me, and MusicForASong claims they have over 100 copies. Don't know about that but there should be at least a few more.

Best,
Josh

I purchased one a couple of years ago from this seller and mentioned that here. The stores at Outlet Malls have carried the discs for a long time. The manager of the Branson, MO store said he got in around 30 or so and sent all but a couple back.

Chris

They must have made a ton of these.

What a shame that the DVD Forum folks let themselves become involved in trying to compete with SACD's CD compatibility when they should have stuck to their own format and promoted it heavily instead of diluting it's potential by adding the confusion of the insane DualDisc. Ranks up there with "New Coke"! :( To make matters worse, their competition (Sony) got involved in the "unifying format" and spoiled the pool by filling the racks with crappy DualDiscs offering nothing more than a few videos and an audio track that made little difference to anyone.

Talk about shooting themselves in the foot! In retrospect, they should have taken the DualDisc funds and subsidized hardware manufactures so that EVERY DVD player sold had DVD-A compatibility, even if it was only stereo on the cheaper players, so that market penetration would have been bigger.

Oh well, once again the IF word rears it's ugly head..................

Jon, since both formats now simply limp along --ie Songs for Beginners, and I'm sure, in exchange a classical in surround out this month on SACD--I think they simply shot each other in the foot. What a shame!

Back