Beatles remastering process info

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Re-mastering the Beatles catalogue

The re-mastering process commenced with an extensive period conducting tests before finally copying the analogue master tapes into the digital medium. When this was completed, the transfer was achieved using a Pro Tools workstation operating at 24 bit 192 kHz resolution via a Prism A-D converter. Transferring was a lengthy procedure done a track at a time. Although EMI tape does not suffer the oxide loss associated with some later analogue tapes, there was nevertheless a slight build up of dust, which was removed from the tape machine heads between each title.

From the onset, considerable thought was given to what audio restorative processes were going to be allowed. It was agreed that electrical clicks, microphone vocal pops, excessive sibilance and bad edits should be improved where possible, so long as it didn’t impact on the original integrity of the songs.

In addition, de-noising technology, which is often associated with re-mastering, was to be used, but subtly and sparingly. Eventually, less than five of the 525 minutes of Beatles music was subjected to this process. Finally, as is common with today’s music, overall limiting - to increase the volume level of the CD - has been used, but on the stereo versions only. However, it was unanimously agreed that because of the importance of The Beatles’ music, limiting would be used moderately, so as to retain the original dynamics of the recordings.

When all of the albums had been transferred, each song was then listened to several times to locate any of the agreed imperfections. These were then addressed by Guy Massey, working with Audio Restoration engineer Simon Gibson.

Mastering could now take place, once the earliest vinyl pressings, along with the existing CDs, were loaded into Pro Tools, thus allowing comparisons to be made with the original master tapes during the equalization process. When an album had been completed, it was auditioned the next day in studio three – a room familiar to the engineers, as all of the recent Beatles mixing projects had taken place in there – and any further alteration of EQ could be addressed back in the mastering room. Following the initial satisfaction of Guy and Steve, Allan Rouse and Mike Heatley then checked each new re-master in yet another location and offered any further suggestions. This continued until all 13 albums were completed to the team’s satisfaction.

New Notes/Documentaries Team

Kevin Howlett (Historical and Recording Notes)
Kevin Howlett’s career as an award-winning radio producer spans three decades. His music programmes for the BBC have included many documentaries about The Beatles, including 'The Beeb's Lost Beatles Tapes.' He received a Grammy nomination for his involvement with The Beatles’ album 'Live At The BBC' and, in 2003, produced the 'Fly On The Wall' bonus disc for 'Let It Be… Naked.'

Mike Heatley (Historical Notes)
Mike entered the music business via HMV Record Stores in 1970, transferring to EMI Records' International Division three years later. He eventually headed up that division in the early Eighties before joining the company's newly created Strategic Marketing Division in 1984. In 1988, he returned to International, where he undertook a number of catalogue marketing roles until he retired in December 2008.

During his career he worked with many of EMI's major artists, including Pink Floyd, Queen, Kate Bush and Iron Maiden. However, during the last 30 years he has formed a particularly strong relationship with Apple, and has been closely involved in the origination and promotion of the Beatles catalogue, besides solo releases from John, Paul, George and Ringo.

Bob Smeaton (Director, Mini-Documentaries)
Bob Smeaton was series director and writer on the Grammy award winning 'Beatles Anthology' TV series which aired in the UK and the USA in 1995. In 1998 he received his second Grammy for his ‘Jimi Hendrix: Band of Gypsys’ documentary. In 2004 he gained his first feature film credit, as director on the feature documentary ‘Festival Express.' He subsequently went on to direct documentaries on many of the world's biggest music acts including The Who, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Elton John, Nirvana and the Spice Girls.

Julian Caiden (Editor, Mini-Documentaries)
Julian has worked with Bob Smeaton on numerous music documentaries including 'Jimi Hendrix: Band of Gypsys' and the 'Classic Albums' series, featuring The Who, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Elton John and Nirvana among others. He has worked on documentary profiles from Richard Pryor to Dr. John to Sir Ian McKellen, Herbie Hancock and Damien Hirst and on live music shows including the New York Dolls and Club Tropicana.

The Abbey Road Team

Allan Rouse (Project Coordinator)
Allan joined EMI straight from school in 1971 at their Manchester Square head office, working as an assistant engineer in the demo studio. During this time he frequently worked with Norman (Hurricane) Smith, The Beatles’ first recording engineer.

In 1991, he had his first involvement with The Beatles, copy¬ing all of their master tapes (mono, stereo, 4-track and 8-track) to digital tape as a safety backup. This was followed by four years working with Sir George Martin as assistant and project coordinator on the TV documentary 'The Making of Sgt. Pepper's' and the CDs 'Live at the BBC' and 'The Anthol¬ogy.'

In 1997, MGM/UA were preparing to reissue the film 'Yellow Submarine' and, with the permission of Apple, asked that all of The Beatles’ music be mixed for the film in 5.1 surround and stereo. Allan requested the services of Abbey Road’s senior engineer Peter Cobbin and assistant Guy Massey and, along with them, produced the new mixes.

Two years later, he proposed an experimental stereo and surround mix of John Lennon's song 'Imagine' engineered by Peter Cobbin. Following lengthy consultations with Yoko Ono, the album 'Imagine' was re-mixed in stereo and the Grammy award-winning film 'Gimme Some Truth' in surround and new stereo. This led to a further five of John’s albums being re-mastered with new stereo mixes and the DVD release of 'Lennon Legend' being re-mixed in 5.1 surround and new stereo.

Further projects followed, including The Beatles ‘Anthol¬ogy', 'The First US Visit' and ‘Help’ DVD and the albums ‘Let It Be…Naked’ and ‘Love’ along with George Harrison’s 'Concert for Bangladesh' DVD and album.

For a number of years now, Allan has worked exclusively on Beatles and related projects.

Guy Massey (Recording Engineer)
Guy joined Abbey Road in 1994, and five years later assisted on the surround remix for The Beatles film 'Yellow Submarine.' This led to The Beatles’ 'Anthology' DVD and later, along with Paul Hicks and Allan Rouse, they mixed and produced 'Let It Be… Naked.' In 2004 he left the studios to become freelance and has engineered The Divine Comedy: 'Victory for the Comic Muse,' Air Traffic: 'Fractured Life,' James Dean Bradfield: 'The Great Western' and Stephen Fretwell’s 'Magpie,' co-producing the last two. Since leaving, Guy is still a vital member of the team, and has been the senior engineer for the re-mastering project and was responsible for surround and new stereo mixes for the DVD release of 'Help!'

Steve Rooke (Mastering Engineer)
Steve joined Abbey Road in 1983 and is now the studio’s senior mastering engineer. He has been involved on all The Beatles’ projects since 1999. He has also been responsible for mastering releases by John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr.

Paul Hicks (Recording Engineer)
Paul started at Abbey Road in 1994, and his first involvement with The Beatles was assisting engineer Geoff Emerick on the Anthology albums. This was followed by 'Yellow Submarine Songtrack,' 'Anthology' DVD and 'Let It Be… Naked.' Like Guy Massey, he has also become a freelance engineer and since leaving the studios he has been responsible for the surround mixing of Paul McCartney’s DVD 'The McCartney Years' and The Beatles' 'Love.' Paul has been in charge of the mono re-masters.

Sean Magee (Mastering Engineer)
Sean began working at Abbey Road in 1995 with a diploma in sound engineering. With a wealth of knowledge in analog and digital mastering, he has worked alongside Paul Hicks on the mono re-masters.

Sam Okell (Recording Engineer)
Sam’s first job as a member of the team was in 2006, assisting Paul Hicks on Paul McCartney’s DVD 'The McCartney Years,' and during that same year he was responsible for the re-mastering of George Harrison’s 'Living In The Material World' CD along with Steve Rooke. This led to him restoring the soundtrack to the Beatles film 'Help!' in surround and stereo, in addition to assisting Guy Massey with the song remixes.

Sam has re-mastered 'With The Beatles' and 'Let It Be.'

Simon Gibson (Audio Restoration Engineer)
Simon joined Abbey Road in 1990. He has progressed from mastering mostly classical recordings to include a much wider range of music, including pop and rock, with his specialized role as an audio restoration engineer. Apart from the re-mastering project, his other work includes George Harrison’s 'Living In The Material World,' John Lennon’s 'Lennon Legend,' The Beatles’ 'Love' and the 'Help!' DVD soundtrack.

Thanks Dave for posting the info.

Here's hoping for a 'second wave" release, with HiRez stereo and 5.1 once they get everyone to buy the stereo sets (Marketing 101).

Thanks Dave for posting the info.

Here's hoping for a 'second wave" release, with HiRez stereo and 5.1 once they get everyone to buy the stereo sets (Marketing 101).

They'd be silly if they didn't do 5.1's of Pepper or White at some point.

Re-mastering the Beatles catalogue

as is common with today’s music, overall limiting - to increase the volume level of the CD - has been used, but on the stereo versions only.
I wonder why they felt the need to do that.......like what is it about today's music that forces you to put limiting on an older recording...especially when their digital formats have a large dynamic range .....so much for uncompressed audio..

and I wonder why they left the monos alone...

However, limiting would be used moderately, so as to retain the original dynamics of the recordings.
How is that possible?

How is that possible?

Raising the overall volume a tad will not destroy the dynamics. They're not crushing the things. I don't know (well I do know, really) where all this "all compression is bad" nonsense comes from. The Beatles music is some of the most compressed stuff ever recorded. Revolver sounds as cool as it does BECAUSE of compression.

Anyway, look....if you're already worried about a bit of limiting then keep your 1987 cd's and don't worry about the new ones.

There's compression, then there's COMPRESSION. Hey if I was mixing for AM radio, squish, but I don't want to hear that at home.

Raising the overall volume a tad will not destroy the dynamics. They're not crushing the things. I don't know (well I do know, really) where all this "all compression is bad" nonsense comes from. The Beatles music is some of the most compressed stuff ever recorded. Revolver sounds as cool as it does BECAUSE of compression.

Anyway, look....if you're already worried about a bit of limiting then keep your 1987 cd's and don't worry about the new ones.

Yes I agree that the beatles masters are already compressed. They would compress when dumping tracks. So why would you want to kill the dynamics more?

The whole article confirms what I have suspected. I really don't like the looks of that process. They are removing A LOT of the character of those recordings by removing Geoff's tape splicing sounds etc. Do they realize that he was an engineer that would actually turn the volume up and put emphasis on these so called "flaws"?

Yes I agree that the beatles masters are already compressed. They would compress when dumping tracks. So why would you want to kill the dynamics more?

The whole article confirms what I have suspected. I really don't like the looks of that process. They are removing A LOT of the character of those recordings by removing Geoff's tape splicing sounds etc. Do they realize that he was an engineer that would actually turn the volume up and put emphasis on these so called "flaws"?

We have a long time to go before these come out. Getting in a snit and thinking the worst this early makes no sense.

All I can say is I personally enjoyed the way LOVE sounded (in stereo and in 5.1). If they sound like that, I'm happy.

We have a long time to go before these come out. Getting in a snit and thinking the worst this early makes no sense.

All I can say is I personally enjoyed the way LOVE sounded (in stereo and in 5.1). If they sound like that, I'm happy.

Eh I have a hard drive filled with remasters that says a different story. The things that makes me worry the most is the
"restoration" or revisionist history approach to it. If there are "bad edits" in the tracks I think it is a bad assumtion to just
think that Geoff would want those removed.

Eh I have a hard drive filled with remasters that says a different story..

let's play a game...

Do you think this is an acceptable wave form? Lots of dynamics?

Attachments

• rump.JPG
    rump.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 254
let's play a game...

Do you think this is an acceptable wave form? Lots of dynamics?

Eh I'd have to hear it on my system. If I had to guess based on what most program material has for dynamics and based on that one little clip I would say that somewhere in the rest of the album there is some squashing going on.

But that one little clip looks like there is some breathing room. I don't know which software that is and I already was wrong on this forum guessing from a screenshot from software I do not use. But if that was soundforge - it isn't - the lines hitting the top line would be clips. And just the tone of your post makes me think you are trying to trick me in some way. Like maybe using cntrl+mousewheel to zoom the waveforms and make them look larger or clipping.

Eh I'd have to hear it on my system. If I had to guess based on what most program material has for dynamics and based on that one little clip I would say that somewhere in the rest of the album there is some squashing going on.

But that one little clip looks like there is some breathing room. I don't know which software that is and I already was wrong on this forum guessing from a screenshot from software I do not use. But if that was soundforge - it isn't - the lines hitting the top line would be clips. And just the tone of your post makes me think you are trying to trick me in some way. Like maybe using cntrl+mousewheel to zoom the waveforms and make them look larger or clipping.

No sir. One thing I am not is a trickster.

That is from the 20th anniversary edition of The Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique. Song: Shake Your Rump. Released in 2009.

My point is that it is possible to remaster something in 2009 and get it right.

No sir. One thing I am not is a trickster.

That is from the 20th anniversary edition of The Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique. Song: Shake Your Rump. Released in 2009.

My point is that it is possible to remaster something in 2009 and get it right.

BAD example. First the original 80s CD clips a few waveforms. So I know for a FACT that the remaster is clipping on more than a few songs. This is what the song should look like - 192kHz 24-bit rip from the reissue 180gram vinyl manually restored by me.

Now another reason why this is a particularly BAD example for you to bring up. This song has clearly audible tape slicing. On all three versions - old CD, new CD, and 180gram vinyl. I CAN go in an remove those tape splices assuming they are errors that should be taken out and post the original where I left the tape splices in but took the vinyl clicks out and then post the plasticized de-spliced version.

I would rather have the seams left in tact because I am not so sure that the Dust Brothers or the Beasties would want you making there stuff sound "plastic".

BAD example. First the original 80s CD clips a few waveforms. So I know for a FACT that the remaster is clipping on more than a few songs. This is what the song should look like - 192kHz 24-bit rip from the reissue 180gram vinyl manually restored by me.

Now another reason why this is a particularly BAD example for you to bring up. This song has clearly audible tape slicing. On all three versions - old CD, new CD, and 180gram vinyl. I CAN go in an remove those tape splices assuming they are errors that should be taken out and post the original where I left the tape splices in but took the vinyl clicks out and then post the plasticized de-spliced version.

I would rather have the seams left in tact because I am not so sure that the Dust Brothers or the Beasties would want you making there stuff sound "plastic".

I actually hate posting wave forms as I try and let my ears do the job. If you can actually hear the clipping then you're some kind of incredible super hero.

And I have no idea what you're talking about regarding tape splices and "plastic". I simply posted the waveform as is.

You sure you're not more at home at Hoffman?

WOW - Is this another sign of the apocalypse? Somebody realized the market for the album CD is taking one of it's last bows and that the core audience is dying off at a steady clip. Sorry, in a grim funk mood today....

I DO think these are incredibly valid re-issues that are LONG overdue. Great list of people involved and the trailer is exhilarating! No mention of surround but maybe that shoe could drop at a future date? Isn't ironic that Pete Hicks (responsible for great 5.1) gets to handle mono mixes.....

The post about the remastering of the beatles says they are going in and removing tape splice sounds and altering the material to remove what they perceive as "errors". I don't like this. To me it's similar to what Lucas did to star wars - reasoning hey if we had this superior technology to remove tape splice sounds and microphone pops etc.. we would have. Except it's not even the original artist making these artistic decisions.

I have read in interviews that Geoff would actually turn up the volume to make these so called "errors" MORE audible. So I think they may be actually removing some of the original engineer's intent. I can not condone it.

Also I just have been burned enough times with Jazz remasters where I originally did think the limiting etc... sounded good. Now that I have a system which I think sounds better these same CDs sound very harsh to my ears. I think they could sound soooo much better. So you may think I am prejudging but I am just making a healthy bet on the odds. I expected Paul's Boutique to be limited for no reason and I expect this to be no different. I think it's a shame that I have to get the 180gram vinyl, transfer that to digital and all the crap that's involved in that, just to get a copy where the High end isn't all jacked up and the dynamics squashed.

Really if they would have just stopped at the first paragraph with the high res transfer - similar to the way Dark Side of the Moon quad was done - I would be happy. But NO. Engineers ALWAYS have to push buttons and tinker with things and change the sound. It's the SAME exact thing that people complain messed up the original masterings in the 60s - too much tinkering - yet they still insist on doing stuff to the recordings.

Really if you guys find me unpleasant or whatever I guess I could just take off. But I love music and love quadraphonic sound and have been trying to experiment with it for some time now. I really don't know how I feel about this community. I don't feel like I have made any friends. I felt like back around 2000 when I first came here people were very nice and helpful but I don't see those same people anywhere. Maybe I am just in too much of a critical mood where I doubt everything lately for you guys. Because I have really been dissecting things lately in my head because of my work in music and just wanting to be better at it.

WOW - Is this another sign of the apocalypse? Somebody realized the market for the album CD is taking one of it's last bows and that the core audience is dying off at a steady clip. Sorry, in a grim funk mood today....

I DO think these are incredibly valid re-issues that are LONG overdue. Great list of people involved and the trailer is exhilarating! No mention of surround but maybe that shoe could drop at a future date? Isn't ironic that Pete Hicks (responsible for great 5.1) gets to handle mono mixes.....

Tim:

Hopefully they don't wait too long on the multichannel releases - this boomer is getting long in the tooth. ;)

Justin

Really if you guys find me unpleasant or whatever I guess I could just take off. .

Don't be silly. You haven't been unpleasant. We look at music differently, that's all.

What saddens me is that when we're young we take such pleasure in taking an old scratchy record and simply enjoying the music. Then we get old and we seem to yearn for something other than the simple endorphin release. We need justification for blowing stupid money on silver discs and new equipment. We forget the simple joy of sitting there and nodding your head or closing your eyes and losing yourself in the music. We look at squiggly lines or listen to the people that "are supposed to know everything".

We need to get back to what made us love music to begin with. The music!

Anyway, peace and love.;)

Isn't ironic that Pete Hicks (responsible for great 5.1) gets to handle mono mixes.....

PAUL Hicks.:cool: In my mind the modern day Ken Scott. Great ears. Apple knows the monos mean a lot to Beatle fans so they wanted the best ears for the job.

Back