Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patience my good people! Good things come to those who wait. Now you know what would make waiting for my ITCOTKC 50th easier? An in-depth review of the new Bruce Soord! What say you, @doppelbock ? Help out some fellow QQers who are on the edge of a nervous breakdown! Please!

I need to get to know the album a little better first, a few more plays, before getting into anything like a review. My first impression was pretty positive though - it's unmistakeable Bruce, and as you'd expect a bit of a lighter (musically/production) approach the TPT stuff. I didn't even get into the acoustic or bonus material yet....but I do have the 2 audio cd's ripped for the car so I'll be playing it again today while out.

I need to get to know the album a little better first, a few more plays, before getting into anything like a review. My first impression was pretty positive though - it's unmistakeable Bruce, and as you'd expect a bit of a lighter (musically/production) approach the TPT stuff. I didn't even get into the acoustic or bonus material yet....but I do have the 2 audio cd's ripped for the car so I'll be playing it again today while out.
Nice! I appreciate your attention to detail, your dedication to get it "write"! And the acoustic and bonus material are also in 5.1! That sweetens the deal for me! Plus, these posts are ultimately all about patience and the recognition that there is no dearth of discs (some unlistened to!) waiting to be heard. It's like I hear at my AA Milne meetings on Pooh Corner: Let it go! Which is synchronicity, for look what else arrived yesternight:

1572960928733.png
Deitra Farr Let It Go!

Travel well as you soak in that Soord! Thank you so very much--peace

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just received and listened to
XTC as The Dukes of Stratosphear - Psurroundabout Ride

It does have an active surround mix.
It’s still XTC ...not a different band.
I didn’t realize that they were going to make fun of sixties psychedelic music...such a shame -(should have researched, must research!)
My wife is rolling her eyes at me....(and not in a good way...)
Why isn’t the instrumental mix in surround....argh.

I didn’t realize that they were going to make fun of sixties psychedelic music...such a shame -(should have researched, must research!)
I’ve always wondered why the instrumental only extras on most Steven Wilson surround releases are only offered in stereo. Is it that much more work to produce them in surround given a surround mix with vocals is already done?

The instrumental mixes were done long before Wilson was in the picture, AFAIK.
You're the 1st person I've come across who has expressed the band is "making fun" of psychedelic records. Another way of seeing it is they're paying homage, albeit somewhat satirically (a typical attitude for them on any album). I think it shows a great deal of respect that they went to great lengths to carefully emulate favorite 60's records.

Last edited:
The instrumental mixes were done long before Wilson was in the picture, AFAIK.
You're the 1st person I've come across who has expressed the band is "making fun" of psychedelic records. Another way of seeing it is they're paying homage, albeit somewhat satirically (a typical attitude for them on any album). I think it shows a great deal of respect that they went to great lengths to carefully emulate favorite 60's records.
Perhaps looking at this music as playing homage to 60s psychedelic music is the best way to view this release.
In any case, I’m disappointed with this music. I was unfamiliar with this band until the Steven Wilson surround mix of Nonsuch was released which I found to be just ok. I continued buying the next two 5.1 releases hoping to like the band/music but it just didn’t happen for me. So I’ve passed on the last couple of releases without any care. When this release started generating quite a buzz on this forum, it perked my interest again. Maybe it’ll be different this time? They aren’t releasing this as an XTC album but under a pseudonym, and it’s style is 60s psychedelia. I love 60s psychedelia! So I bit, without bothering to listen to the music first online. That was my mistake and it’s completely my fault. I continue to hear rave reviews and see this release has jumped to the top of our polls over truly great music! Now that I’ve finally heard it, I’m very disappointed and feel I should post my point of view only with the hope it may help someone else research this title better than I did.

Back