Jackson Browne "The Naked Ride Home" DVD-Audio 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Quad Guy

Quadraphonic Preservation
Staff member
Was this title ever released on DVD-Audio? Sure would like to buy one...

February 25 2004
http://www.rhino.com/rzine/pressrelease.lasso?PRID=216

"Being issued in June are DVD-Audio versions of classic (RUNNING ON EMPTY) and current (THE NAKED RIDE HOME) Jackson Browne releases. The DVD-As offer Jackson Browne fans the chance to hear his music as never before, with each disc remixed from the original multitrack master tapes in Advanced Resolution Surround Sound (this sound quality is vastly superior to CD audio). Each DVD-A release also contains an Advanced Resolution stereo version, as well as Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 Surround Sound versions that are playable on all DVD players."

December 2002
http://www.jrp-graphics.com/jb/jbnews.html

"The December issue of ICE Magazine states that DVD Audio versions of both Running on Empty and The Naked Ride Home will be released on Tuesday, December 17 on Elektra/Rhino. HOWEVER, Jackson's management has said that this is incorrect. They will not be released until sometime after the New Year. The exact date has not yet been determined. [Webmaster's note: As of Summer 2004, these had not yet been released and no release dates had yet been set for either one."

Attachments

• nakedridedvda2.JPG
    nakedridedvda2.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Never saw it or I would have it right now. Look how long it took to get Running On Empty. Maybe it's still in the pipeline :p

"Running on Empty" on DVD-A is terrific and although I am not familiar at all with this album, I hope it shows up in high resolution surround, I just wouldn't expect a DVD-A ever. Warner will be Blu-ray exclusive soon, maybe it will be a Blu-ray music release at some future date. I wouldn't expect Warner to continue with DVD-A and Blu-ray, there just can't be enough of a market. Which of two formats will see the Warner high resolution surround audio releases after 2008 is an unknown. I am not even aware of a single upcoming Warner DVD-A, but I may have missed an announcement.

Chris

"Running on Empty" on DVD-A is terrific and although I am not familiar at all with this album, I hope it shows up in high resolution surround, I just wouldn't expect a DVD-A ever. Warner will be Blu-ray exclusive soon, maybe it will be a Blu-ray music release at some future date. I wouldn't expect Warner to continue with DVD-A and Blu-ray, there just can't be enough of a market. Which of two formats will see the Warner high resolution surround audio releases after 2008 is an unknown. I am not even aware of a single upcoming Warner DVD-A, but I may have missed an announcement.

Chris

going competely Blu Ray with a release would be nieve beyond even the most obdjurate accounts ability I a sure. At least with DVDA the disc can be played on a Blu Ray player albeit at a lower resolution. Cant play a blu ray disc on a DVD player which the majority of surround fans have.
Why make a small market even smaller.

going competely Blu Ray with a release would be nieve beyond even the most obdjurate accounts ability I a sure. At least with DVDA the disc can be played on a Blu Ray player albeit at a lower resolution. Cant play a blu ray disc on a DVD player which the majority of surround fans have.
Why make a small market even smaller.

Smaller still when you consider that the majority of existing Blu-ray players won't play the latest hi-rez "Tru" audio formats.

WB released a DVD-Audio a month or two ago.

However, "Naked Ride Home" was a poor seller on CD which likely led to the demise of the DVD-Audio release. I'm sure the 5.1 mix may have been completed by Jackson Browne, but with the disappointing sales of the CD, WB may have killed the project before it went to manufacture.

Warners will certainly NEVER release what did not sell on DVD-A as Blu Ray.
The main problem is the mandatory AACS, and the fees for this are fucking outrageously expensive.
It's £20 grand a title in the UK - that is $40 grand to you gringoes.
This will also prevent any small labels doing likewise, as they will never recoup the cost of creating the titles.
Blu Ray music releases will be vanity titles.

Once this all gets out of the industry system, we can go back to the true universal format - DVD-A/V.
Far cheaper to create & replicate and no mandatory, already hacked Copy Protection system.
Blu Ray is the studios & Sony's attempt to control the entire market for their own ends and drive small labels/studios out of business.

Think how Supermarkets work - they cut costs to get going, close down the small guys, and then ramp up their margins.

I moved all of the Blu-Ray/Sony crap to its own thread here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9162

This thread should stay on topic - THE NAKED RIDE HOME. It's all nice and tidy now. :D

Ya, let's talk about the upcoming Warner DVD-A of this album or any other for that matter. That would be an interesting discussion, possibly on par with a discussion of sasquatch sitings. That link leads to nothing for me, can I assume the posts were deleted?

Chris

Chris....

Ok Ok we get it... you are some sort of shill for Sony and BluRay...

DVD-A will never make it.... I get that too.... quit threadcrapping and go somewhere where someone actually gives a fuck about your rants.... OK???

Back to the topic at hand: I give you.... Jackson Browne "The Naked Ride Home" DVD-Audio

Oh and Chris... before you say "no I'm not....." it just doesnt matter... we don't care anymore... get it???

Last edited:
Chris....

DVD-A will never make it.... I get that too.... quit threadcrapping and go somewhere where someone actually gives a fuck about your rants.... OK???

Back to the topic at hand: I give you.... Jackson Brown "The Naked Ride Home" DVD-Audio

Oh and Chris... before you say "no I'm not....." it just doesnt matter... we don't care anymore... get it???

Chris, all you do is praise SONY??? Do not get me going about Sony!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides, at this point, Blu-stray is really is not about music, except for a few videos. And may never be for years. I would rather talk about dvd audio than those schmucks. They have screwed us again. If Sony was interested in this as a new music format, we would see titles already. I mean look at the AVS forum where all they can do is bitch about no bass management, what version of hdm,i and this will not work with that, and upgrades to keep something working. Sorry, but Joe Blow does not care and will not participate. Hell i am at the point of ignoring it all and just playing with the toys i have. Joe Public wants music and no hassles, put the disc in it plays. Sony had a great format. Blew it., They had this with sacd and dvd audio if it is authored correctly. This is why MP3 wins with Kids. It is EASY . Plug and play. That is the way it will always be.
I searched Jackson's sight with no luck of any contact to ask him what is up. I bet if we keep trying, we could get an answer. Remember though, most musicians do not care how anything makes it to the public, mono, stereo or multi, they just care it is released. If it did not sell, he just hopes he has another release of any kind at all. But he was involved with his other DVD-A so i bet he is aware of this and would comment. Matter of keep trying.

So this title was not released. Bummer…

There’s no point in discussing either HD format when all the specs are not there yet with only about 400 titles for each format and hardly any music. I can’t get excited about HD anything unless both DVD-A / SACD are added to these units.

Thank you Old Quad Guy...some folks want to turn every discussion on a site devoted to Quad and Multichannel Audio into a discussion of High Definition Video formats. Until they have a load of audio only, multichannel content for sale, I for one, could care less. I 'd rather hear silence than that drivel. :eek: Just my humble opinion, of course. John

Chris....

Back to the topic at hand: I give you.... Jackson Browne "The Naked Ride Home" DVD-Audio

Chris, all you do is praise SONY??? Do not get me going about Sony!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides, at this point, Blu-stray is really is not about music, except for a few videos. And may never be for years. I would rather talk about dvd audio than those schmucks. They have screwed us again. If Sony was interested in this as a new music format, we would see titles already. I mean look at the AVS forum where all they can do is bitch about no bass management, what version of hdm,i and this will not work with that, and upgrades to keep something working. Sorry, but Joe Blow does not care and will not participate. Hell i am at the point of ignoring it all and just playing with the toys i have. Joe Public wants music and no hassles, put the disc in it plays. Sony had a great format. Blew it., They had this with sacd and dvd audio if it is authored correctly. This is why MP3 wins with Kids. It is EASY . Plug and play. That is the way it will always be.
I searched Jackson's sight with no luck of any contact to ask him what is up. I bet if we keep trying, we could get an answer. Remember though, most musicians do not care how anything makes it to the public, mono, stereo or multi, they just care it is released. If it did not sell, he just hopes he has another release of any kind at all. But he was involved with his other DVD-A so i bet he is aware of this and would comment. Matter of keep trying.

That all seems a little odd to me and I sure have no idea what brought it all on. I don't even know how Sony has any relevance to any upcoming Warner high resolution surround releases. Warner is doing a lot on Blu-ray, which is a lot more than just Sony, and as far as I can tell, Warner is doing nothing on DVD-A. You guys want to discuss upcoming Warner DVD-A releases, go ahead, I am not sure what will be discussed.

Some members here don't like Sony, that is clear, what isn't clear is how such resentment can carry over to any product Sony has involvement with. You may not want to fully understand the history behind a lot of home audio video products if you want to exclude discussion of anything with heavy Sony involvement as the research and development from Sony is a common key element.

As far as the idiotic false claim I am a shill for Sony or any other company for that matter, and the recommendation I don't deny it, I will ignore the recommendation and deny it even if the accuser doesn't care, others might. As far as Sony developed formats that didn't succeed, that is just the way it goes. I liked SACD, but others I know didn't or didn't think it was worth the cost so I don't think Sony could have done anything any differently to change that. Blu-ray has a chance to ride on the huge growth of HDTV and succeed and I hope it does since nothing much is coming on SACD/DVD-A and Blu-ray is better anyway. Blu-ray also includes heavy involvement from Matsushita, an important company completely absent from SACD involvement as far as I know.

My suggestion that Warner might release music on Blu-ray but I don't see any likelihood of anything on DVD-A appears to be based on common sense and sure doesn't read like a rant to me but the responses read exactly like rants.

Chris

Thank you Old Quad Guy...some folks want to turn every discussion on a site devoted to Quad and Multichannel Audio into a discussion of High Definition Video formats. Until they have a load of audio only, multichannel content for sale, I for one, could care less. I 'd rather hear silence than that drivel. :eek: Just my humble opinion, of course. John

I agree John. There are audio/video forums for that. Let's just stick to discussions of multichannel MUSIC, something that Chris does not seem to grasp. Video to me is a secondary benefit of my surround sound system ... PERIOD! Now let's talk about surround sound music! :phones

My suggestion that Warner might release music on Blu-ray but I don't see any likelihood of anything on DVD-A appears to be based on common sense and sure doesn't read like a rant to me but the responses read exactly like rants.

Chris

Chris,

It just comes down to people want to stay on topic with specific information about Jackson Brown "The Naked Ride Home" DVD-Audio 5.1. You keep hitting a sore spot with Blu-ray. It’s nothing personal, but know your audience. We are more music orientated than with the visuals on this board. We still use DVD-Audio. I’m working with local bands to create new Hi-Rez multi-channel / Stereo mixes. Many, like myself are still trying to buy DVD-Audio / SACD titles and are pissed off that Hi-Rez titles that should be under $20 are going for 3 or 4 times that much on eBay. There are negative effects these new HD formats have on content providers here as well as DVD-A / SACD fans since both of these formats have not been added to these new HD players as of February 2008.

A lot of people don't care about HD (I do) and have no intention of ever buying such a system. Blu-ray and HD-DVD although they offer us the promise of Hi-Rez multi-channel / Stereo music, are more of a format of the next decade since the titles are not there yet. It would be better discussing these issues in a thread called “New Blu-Ray / HD-DVD music releases.”

If anyone has any info on Jackson Brown "The Naked Ride Home" DVD-Audio 5.1 please post.

Ya, let's talk about the upcoming Warner DVD-A of this album or any other for that matter. That would be an interesting discussion, possibly on par with a discussion of sasquatch sitings. That link leads to nothing for me, can I assume the posts were deleted?

Chris

Well, first off, you're right. The link doesn't work! I just went through the admin logs, and it looks like when I created it I screwed up as there is no longer a thread number 9162 titled "Blu-Ray Music Disc and Sony discussion".

Hmmm.

At any rate, I did not mean to delete those posts, just to get them out of the Jackson Browne thread so that future searches for Jackson Browne would not end up being Blu-Ray discussions.

Oh well............

Guess "The Naked Ride Home" never made it home................

Back