King Crimson - Live in Argentina 2xDVD-A/V concert film with lossless audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Available for Pre-Order now from Inner Knot here, these discs are believed to be the first of their kind (unless anyone here knows better of course) as they each feature a full live concert - one is the matinee performance and the other is the evening performance - with full motion video, LPCM stereo and DTS Quad as well as the complete show also in MLP Lossless 4.0.
To quote from the relevant website:
As any fan fortunate enough to have seen the double trio lineup will tell you – even by King Crimson’s high standards – this was a spectacular live band. While a return of King Crimson had been planned as early as 1990, it was only in 1992 that the idea of a double trio line-up emerged as the ideal and it took until 1994 to get all the necessary musicians and plans sufficiently in place. The new band recorded the mini album “VROOOM” in the Spring of 1994 and, following further rehearsals in the summer and early autumn, performed a series of concerts in Argentina, including a run of shows at Teatro Broadway, Buenos Aires in October. This 2 disc set features a full matinee and evening concert from that venue. Taking in material from as far back as 1972, with pieces from
“Larks’ Tongues in Aspic”, the title track from 1974’s “Red”, songs and instrumentals from each of the 1980s album trilogy and new material from VROOOM and THRAK (which was recorded soon after these gigs), the shows present a band with an abundance of material old & new, eager to perform and with the full support of an audience ready to celebrate King Crimson’s return to the stage.

Disc 1

VROOOM
Coda: Marine 475
Frame by Frame
Sex, Sleep, Eat, Drink, Dream
Red
One Time
B’Boom
THRAK
Improv:Two Sticks
Elephant Talk
Indiscipline
VROOOM, VROOOM
Matte Kudasai
The Talking Drum
Larks’ Tongues in Aspic: Part II
Heartbeat
Sleepless

Disc 2: additional tracks:
Discipline
Coda: Marine 475

Robert Fripp - Guitar, Soundscapes,
Adrian Belew - Guitar, Voice, Words
Tony Levin - Upright & Electric Basses, Backing Vocals
Trey Gunn - Stick, Backing Vocals
Bill Bruford & Pat Mastelotto - Acoustic & Electronic Percussions

The audio/video section of each disc is playable in DTS 4 channel surround or LPCM stereo.

Fans with DVD-A players can access an additional audio disc layer with full MLP Lossless sound.

CLUB47_cover.jpg

I always like the double trio line-up so of course buying this one is a no brainer.

Don't know how I'm getting the dough , but this one is a go go go!!!!

Neil...since this is from the collector's club, they're not planning on keeping in stock for a long time (I'm guessing), like the DVD-As...am I wrong?

Cheers, Mr. Wizard!!!

I've no idea at all on stock levels, Kap'n. I'll try to find out though.
There are going to be more done like this as well.

To clear up any ambiguity from the "rumours" thread about this release, disc 2 is the evening performance from the same date as the matinee - October 8th.
There are 2 additional tracks in the evening show that are not played in the matinee, and the full track listing for the evening show is as follows:
VROOOM
Coda Marine 475
Frame by Frame
Red
One Time
B’Boom
THRAK
Improv : Two Sticks
Elephant Talk
Indiscipline
VROOOM VROOOM
Matte Kudasai
The Talking Drum
Larks’ Tongues in Aspic Part II
Discipline
Heartbeat
Sleepless
Coda Marine 475

Everything about these shows serves to highlight the sheer quality of the double trio live.
Anybody buying this set will not be disappointed. Also, to reply to a question in the rumours thread, of course the MLP Lossless cannot be accessed at the same time as the concert footage - this is DVD-A/V, not Blu-Ray - to get the concert footage you need to select either the LPCM stereo or DTS options in the audio setup. The DTS is core audio, but it is at full bitrate and the MLP Lossless section gets you carefully selected track images taken from the footage.

Just placed my order. Really looking forward to this! Part of me wishes it was Bluray, but I can understand why it is not.

Thanks Neil for the detailed description!

Brad

Definitely getting this. Thanks for all the information Neil!
Neil, do you know if there are any plans on reissuing "Neal and Jack and Me? I'm asking this because I am planning on buying this DVD and don't want to have to buy it a second time in the future.

I've no idea at all on stock levels, Kap'n. I'll try to find out though.
There are going to be more done like this as well.

To clear up any ambiguity from the "rumours" thread about this release, disc 2 is the evening performance from the same date as the matinee - October 8th.
There are 2 additional tracks in the evening show that are not played in the matinee, and the full track listing for the evening show is as follows:
VROOOM
Coda Marine 475
Frame by Frame
Red
One Time
B’Boom
THRAK
Improv : Two Sticks
Elephant Talk
Indiscipline
VROOOM VROOOM
Matte Kudasai
The Talking Drum
Larks’ Tongues in Aspic Part II
Discipline
Heartbeat
Sleepless
Coda Marine 475

Everything about these shows serves to highlight the sheer quality of the double trio live.
Anybody buying this set will not be disappointed. Also, to reply to a question in the rumours thread, of course the MLP Lossless cannot be accessed at the same time as the concert footage - this is DVD-A/V, not Blu-Ray - to get the concert footage you need to select either the LPCM stereo or DTS options in the audio setup. The DTS is core audio, but it is at full bitrate and the MLP Lossless section gets you carefully selected track images taken from the footage.

I can also recommend this set highly. The playing is amazing. The mix is excellent as is the audio quality. And at about $20 you can't beat the price for what you get!

This release kinda snuck up on me... but much appreciated. DejaVroom was one of my earliest concert DVDs and it is one heck of a show. Sound quality was decent for the day and still not bad in DTS. How does this new recording stack up? I am all for getting another example of the double trio, arguably KC's finest moment.

Is there any chance we will get a Blu Ray release of this? It would be wunderbar to have hi-res video and hi-res audio of this. Double the price if you must!

Thanks again to all involved in these continuing series of KC releases

ge

Well, since last month they called me back from the Temp agency to play the "Executive" guy for 3 days and got paid what a normal person should get paid (for 4 days only , though....!).
I GOT SOME DOUGH, so this is preordered already....

And since there were a couple of PT DVD-As for 10 GBP each, I said, what the heck, let's splurge!!...give Steven some of my dough....

Now..let's see where I get the $$ for the ELP ones...

so there is a video portion of that show. this is not only a dvd-audio to listen in your dvd player?

i got 20 minutes of video footage of a show in buenos aires in ocotober 1994 shot by tv, and wasn't impressed by the visuals, no lights, dark, but many close ups of the band. Is someone have seen the same footage or anymore footage of those shows? Hope that there will be another show of those 4 nights in the DVD

Just got an email in my inbox from Burning Shed...SHIPPED!!!
Definitely looking forward to cranking up this one...

Well this is a real treat. I've only listened so far to the first 6 tracks of the MLP lossless 4.0 mix. Great performance, great sound. It's a cliché, but the mix does a fine job of putting you in the 'front row'. I don't miss the center channel nor the sub thus far.

'Red' is insane! It may be my new favorite version.

How would you compare this to Deja vrooom? I have seen rave reviews for Deja Vrooom and since the setlists are quite alike, I don't know which one to get. Also, is the video quality about the same between these two releases?

Back