Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering: What are the scenarios/advantages of splitting an MKV file to MKA files, rather than to FLAC files?

Just a preference thing. Both are PCM. FLAC is more universal, MKA doesn't require any encoding sometimes if coming from a MKV video.

Just wondering: What are the scenarios/advantages of splitting an MKV file to MKA files, rather than to FLAC files?

MKA will keep the original codec untouched. During playback via HDMI Passthrough, an AVR will play the original codec. I use this to play Atmos and DTS:X object mixes since FLAC cannot contain more than 8 channels and, of courses, there are no known conversion from Atmos/DTS:X to FLAC.

The silent channels are there but filled with zeros. That does take up space. Its not much though, especially when compressed to FLAC.

Either the tags have changed or the FLAC re-encode is a different level. Just adding silent channels shouldn't change the size from my experience. I will test a wav file later to remove the variables I mentioned.

I’ve done nothing specific for DFF or DSF although I think tagging should work. I will check it out.

This started off as a bunch of tools just for me and I was using FLAC and MKV in the early days.

EDIT: I’m using ffmpeg and Sox to do most the audio conversions and they probably don’t support DSD.

Last edited:
Either the tags have changed or the FLAC re-encode is a different level. Just adding silent channels shouldn't change the size from my experience. I will test a wav file later to remove the variables I mentioned.

Does the tagged cover image get removed from your FLAC?

Why might these options appear if the MKV file contained DTS-MA, but not Atmos:

1566509151717.png

Thanks

This should only show codecs within the MKV. Are your sure there’s no PCM or Atmos?
I'm pretty sure I selected DTS-HD MA when I ripped the disc. I might have selected DTS "vanilla" as well. There is a Dolby True HD codec on the disc, but I don't think I selected it. As far as I know, there is no Atmos codec on the disc. I guess I could rip the disc again, but other than that I'm not sure how to tell what codecs are in an MKV file.

Use MediaInfo (free) to check contents. It shows details of all content correctly.

MakeMKV doesn’t show ‘Atmos’ it shows ‘TrueHD’ even if it is an Atmos track.

Last edited:
Use MediaInfo (free) to check contents. It shows details of all content correctly.

MakeMKV doesn’t show ‘Atmos’ it shows ‘TrueHD’ even if it is an Atmos track.
Interesting results: The DTS 24/96 stream shown in the box is apparently the DTS-HD MA stream, and the Atmos stream shown in the box is apparently the Dolby True HD stream.

Atmos is actually an Atmos + TrueHD stream. MakeMKV will show TrueHD. Did you check with MediaInfo? What is the BD disc?

I’ll check the code today to ensure it shows DTS-HDMA correctly (not just DTS). MMH uses MediaInfo and it was updated recently. Looks like MMH is not interpreting the info correctly for DTS-HDMA so I’ll fix that.

Atmos is actually an Atmos + TrueHD stream. MakeMKV will show TrueHD. Did you check with MediaInfo? What is the BD disc?

I’ll check the code today to ensure it shows DTS-HDMA correctly (not just DTS). MMH uses MediaInfo and it was updated recently. Looks like MMH is not interpreting the info correctly for DTS-HDMA so I’ll fix that.
Yes, I checked with MediaInfo. That's where I got the results I posted. The BD disc is the White Album.

My next stupid question: Will the FLACs derived from the different audio streams sound different, as their respective audio streams do?

By the way, I really appreciate MMH and all the other help you give us newbies to this endeavor.

They are lossless conversions so should sound identical. Atmos to FLAC will be to 8ch using the TrueHD 7.1 mix.

I’m fixing the stream selection dialog now. I didn’t update for the latest MediaInfo naming.

New MMH version 3.5.6 ready and now uploaded.

CHANGES:
Updated 3rd Party tools and UI
Fix: MKV to FLAC conversion tool: Audio stream selection dialog - now shows correct stream naming (sample below):

MKVtoFLACSelectCodec.PNG

Docs: Updated with this note on stream selection:

NOTE: If you select an Atmos stream its TrueHD 7.1 core lossless stream will be used. If you select a DTS:X stream its core lossless DTS-HDMA stream will be used. Atmos and DTS:X are object based audio streams, FLAC is limited to 8 channels and furthermore, there is no direct relationship between ‘objects’ and ‘channels’. You can playback Atmos or DTS:X in a Matroska audio (MKA) file. You may wish to convert Atmos/DTS:X audio using MMH’s ‘Convert MKV to MKA’ tool.

If your used the Click-Once installer MMH should auto-update. If you installed using the zip file method, please download latest zip from first post on this thread

Last edited:
Thanks himey.

I remember adding some code to ensure the cover was copied. I was wondering if that was still a problem (bug).

Today I used MMH for the first time, successfully removed a silent channel since my AVR apparently didn’t understand 5.0 on a specific record. Very neat!

Question: is it possible to install MMH as a regular program? Or is it bound to an application type of program where I need to download it everytime I want to use it?

Back