Pink Floyd - The Later Years (1987-2019) [CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Box Set]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My problem with the Immersion sets is that they cancelled them after only releasing DSOTM & WYWH! The Wall set doesn't count with not even including the HD master of the stereo mix. It sounds like we may actually get Animals. Or... at least this talk and the fact they worked on it means there's a chance in hell! Whereas I'd say there's no chance in hell we'll ever see the set for More, for example. There are at least a couple few thousand of us that are fans of the avant garde Pink Floyd. I don't know how the math works out. Maybe they need a mainstream audience for the sales numbers to work or something.

I was just going through my Pink Floyd collection and took a close look at the credits of my UK copy of AMLOR LP and it actually says it was recorded/mixed in spherical sound. Not just the drums as I’d originally thought. What’s it mean exactly? Andy Jackson or anybody else can you clarify this?

DELICATE SOUND OF THUNDER - VIDEO (1988)
Transferred from the original 35mm film negative to 4k. Looks amazing! Remixed in stereo & surround. Includes tracks not previously included but as extras, not part of the main feature. Not every song they played will be included, some were not filmed. Don't expect to see Welcome to the Machine. Po Powell is coordinating this one.

LIVE IN VENICE - VIDEO (1989)
Remastered in stereo only. The image will be an upgrade from the broadcast but don't expect too much of a quality jump. Also bumped up from SD.

LIVE AT KNEBWORTH - VIDEO (1990)
New edit but don't expect a significant amount of change. Up-rez'd from SD and should look better than the previous Blu-ray release. Remixed in stereo and surround. Gavin Elder, who directed Pompeii, was in charge of this one.

Lana and her team are once again handling the video restoration for all which means outstanding quality control.

Please leave spoilers in spoiler format. More to come tomorrow and throughout the week....

PULSE – VIDEO (1995)
Up-rez’d from standard definition. I’m hoping that the image isn’t as compressed and has less artifacts than the DVD but don’t expect too much improvement regarding image quality. It all depends on if the compression was created by the original video format or the DVD authoring, or both.

Like DSOT, this will feature a new edit but I’m not sure how much will be changed, I'm assuming very little. We'll see.

All audio (stereo and surround) mixes from the original release will be the same Guthrie mixes that were on the DVD release but perhaps at a higher resolution. These mixes can't be redone of modified in any way.

I’d presume Pulse was captured on PAL video so a small resolution uptick on NTSC. Although NTSC to HD upscaling is easier to produce. (I was watching Eagles Hell Freezes Over NTSC to 4K conversion from my media player, converted by the player, and was impressed with the results! Bright concert lighting helped of course)

I’m sure the audio will be an improvement over the lossy Dolby DVD. The mix is pretty good too.

THE ENDLESS RIVER (2014)
A short while back I came across an artist who posted the following on his professional webpage…

06/2014 ‘The Endless River’ – Ian Emes Production
Working as an art director’s assistant and performer in the making of a 50 minute film production to be released in tandem with the new Pink Floyd album. Birmingham, UK.

The entire album will be accompanied by the video that he was referring to.

VIDEO EXTRAS
Various screen films, interviews, EPKs, promos, rehearsals, etc. The stuff we’ve come to expect. Specifics to be revealed with the official announcement - gotta save a few things for a surprise and to speculate about.

This IS a very interesting spoiler, Ron! So far, the 4K DSOT and this are the highlights.
Hope you won't get into any trouble because of this, Ron.

This IS a very interesting spoiler, Ron! So far, the 4K DSOT and this are the highlights.
Hope you won't get into any trouble because of this, Ron.
I didn't sign any NDA's, didn't reveal any of my numerous sources (who weren't too shy about leaking the info) and it's gotta be pretty close to the announcement anyway.

I was hoping ‘La Carrera Panamericana’ to be included on the set. I guess I will stick to my laserdisc then. By the way, the Pulse laserdisc doesn’t have the compression artifacts you see on the DVD release mainly for the analog format. With its limitations I assume a transfer from the original analog master should still look better than the DVD

This is purely specul/ation but I think this release will probably be out on November 22nd, which basically coincides with the original release date of "Delicate Sound of Thunder" (plus it's also one week before Black Friday)

Also, I think Pink Floyd will announce the release either during the week of August 19th (which coincides with the original "Delicate Sound of Thunder" live recordings dates) or they will announce the release around September 6th (which coincides with the original release date of "A Momentary Lapse of Reason")

We'll see how spot on I am!

:)

Back