Rush "Hemispheres" (40th Anniversary Box Set with 5.1 Blu-Ray Audio!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, I missed key verbiage in Ryan's earlier post. Newly mixed from the multis!
I'm hoping for the best. Maybe more experience, and hopefully insight from Steven's mix of AFtK will help this effort!
As a long time owner of a Pink Pop recording, plus the Tuscon show, I'm curious to see how the sound/picture might have been improved.
Also curious whether the 2015 mastering of the album is better than Van Dettes's 2011.

Everybody that ordered at the full price above the 128 please check your order..........Snood's order of the orignal full 158 plus price did not automatically decrease to the current 128 price - so Snood canceled and reordered at the new 128 price - very weird that it did not update, so check it out :unsure:
Same here Snood. Thanks for the heads up!(y)

He did! .... but I’m still mad , lol!

:ROFLMAO: well i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, he might've done another good mix this time round! (..but i'll be letting all you guys be the crash test guinea pig dummies on this one and if i miss any deals i'll have to suck it up and stick it on the plastic after its been out there 'a while'.!!) :giggle:

I can't answer the multitracks question.... but if their past actions mean anything.....they have done surround re-issues before...on the Farewell to Kings...just the reverse situation...the standalone came first...

There could always be the chance that Steven Wilson remixes other RUSH albums in surround sound (like "Permanent Waves", "Moving Pictures", etc.) but I think this is all we'll ever get for "Hemispheres", especially since Universal stopped releasing single disc Blu-Ray audio releases two years ago.

:ROFLMAO: well i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, he might've done another good mix this time round! (..but i'll be letting all you guys be the crash test guinea pig dummies on this one and if i miss any deals i'll have to suck it up and stick it on the plastic after its been out there 'a while'.!!) :giggle:

Sittin' this one out, Freddie Buck, just in case Richie C mucks it Up? Well, hopefully he'll come through and you'll go back to being freddie blue!

Decent, very compressed with some clipping. Quite muddy in parts I thought.

oh ok, i'd forgotten about that aspect of it as i hadn't played it in a while.. setting mastering considerations aside for a sec (not saying its unimportant, just something that was out of his hands, maybe?) could it be said that that instance at least demonstrated he's actually capable of producing a good surround music mix?

What a first world problem we have on our hands here! :cry:o_O:ROFLMAO:
Well that's true!

You know, 10 years ago I would have bet my life's savings (don't worry, it's not a big number!) that anyone who thought anything like these surround remixes would ever happen was out to lunch. Great idea! Pure fantasy!! But here we are... And we already have more amazing remixes available than should have ever been possible.

Still... Changing engineers (and from the likes of SW) literally in the middle of a song here. That calls for some serious grumbling!

Well that's true!

You know, 10 years ago I would have bet my life's savings (don't worry, it's not a big number!) that anyone who thought anything like these surround remixes would ever happen was out to lunch. Great idea! Pure fantasy!! But here we are... And we already have more amazing remixes available than should have ever been possible.

Still... Changing engineers (and from the likes of SW) literally in the middle of a song here. That calls for some serious grumbling!
Yes, the Cygnus saga spans side B of AFtK and side A of Hemispheres, but they are very different pieces and were recorded in separate sessions.
I absolutely get the wish that the same mixing/engineering approach could be applied to both (by SW), so that one could queue them up together, but both tracks stand up on their own.
I'm hoping that this mix is good enough that one would not want to queue up both of Chycki's tracks (IMO, Cygnus X-1 Book 1 is among is weakest mixes).
I simply wish to remain hopeful and take in this new mix with fresh ears and an open mind. Even if Chycki turns in his best effort ever, his style is much different than Wilson's (unless he has adapted):

Mixing in 5.1 is about very subtle adjustments to add a sense of space. I’ll have things that take up the entire sound field, some pieces that are subtly placed, and then some elements with extreme placement. The combination of them all works together to make an interesting album that pays tribute to the original.

Rush in Surround: Mixing Tips by Richard Chycki

The only UK site with it is amazon.co.uk and they want £150.84 :eek:
amazon.com wants $128.24, but after delivery & import duty it will be about the same :(

Whoa...that's sad...that is roughly $198...my order with tax is $99 and some change..that's just not right...I know you guys had the Beatles and James Bond...but how long will you have to pay for them?

The only UK site with it is amazon.co.uk and they want £150.84 :eek:
amazon.com wants $128.24, but after delivery & import duty it will be about the same :(

errrrrr.... yikes! :eek:
...now i don't care if its the best mix Richard Chycki will ever do in his life.
at that price, two words = sod that! :mad:

Back