Trent Reznor - The Social Network Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odys

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Just pre-ordered this one. The soundtrack to the new David Fincher movie by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross in 5.1 audio-only blu-ray. And it's only $20! Comes with an instant 5-song sampler download, which I'll have to wait until I get home to download and listen to. Great news, I can't wait to get this one! :banana:

http://www.nullco.com/TSN/

Having Explorer problems with the site, so I'll have to wait till I get home. Thanks for the link!

Trent is so cool.

Quote from site:

A MESSAGE FROM TRENT ABOUT THE SOUNDTRACK

This is what Atticus and I have been working on for the last few months. We had a great time working with David Fincher on this and the film turned out excellent - something we're very proud of. It opens in theatres Oct 1 and you should check it out.

Musically, this all came out of our secret laboratory - electronic in basis, but mostly organic sounding. Lots of experiments and emphasis on sound fraying around the edges while focusing on the proper emotional tone for the various scenes.

Regarding the purchase options, sorry about the "clunkiness" of not offering the full record digital download pre-sale (and having to visit Amazon). My agenda was to be able to offer this for the lowest possible price and this was the best way to achieve that. Amazon has been a great partner with past projects and I appreciate your understanding.

- Trent Reznor, 9.16.10

Cool! Thanks for the link! Another audio 5.1 Blu-Ray.

This should be a good one, fits right in with the NIN SACDs. Too bad the labels didn't do more "modern" stuff like these with the 2 formats.

This should be a good one, fits right in with the NIN SACDs. Too bad the labels didn't do more "modern" stuff like these with the 2 formats.

It would have been a very nice drop in the bucket for sure. There was very little out there to get fans of more contemporary music to even give the slightest of craps as to commercial 5.1. It was all "who makes the money? older folks. let's make stuff for the older folks."

Still, though, woulda coulda shoulda. This is what it is right now, and having Trent's name behind this makes me very excited. Hopefully it will be better than the retail mix for "The Downward Spiral." Haven't pre-ordered yet, but will by the end of the day.

You don't think the TDS SACD mix is stunningly brilliant?
I can't wait for the Blu-ray release of The Fragile, hopefully sometime next year, and now with Bycicle Records owning TVT material we'll finally see a Reznor-involved Deluxe Edition of PHM as well.
Very cool to see a soundtrack released on Blu-ray, Trent is da man.

You don't think the TDS SACD mix is stunningly brilliant?
I can't wait for the Blu-ray release of The Fragile, hopefully sometime next year, and now with Bycicle Records owning TVT material we'll finally see a Reznor-involved Deluxe Edition of PHM as well.
Very cool to see a soundtrack released on Blu-ray, Trent is da man.

I think it's a good mix, not a great one. There's a ton built into the stereo mix that I wish would have made it onto the retail 5.1, such as swirling vocals on some tracks, etc. A lot of possibilities not explored.

TDS played through DPL, as a younger surround fan, was my "quad" moment in the 90's. It was when I got hooked on the possibilities of surround. I waded through several years of the limited amount of material the record companies were providing me until I discovered the stereo-to-surround world.

I'm not holding my breath for any of what you're suggesting on here. :)

Well with regards to The Fragile it's being done by Artists in Residence who did The Pixies Minotaur 24/192 Blu-ray set and the Blu-ray of Ghosts I-IV. Initial artwork for The Fragile:DE has already been seen by Rob Sheridan who tweeted about it last November.

Don't hold your breath, but it's definitely coming.

And the guys that own Bicycle Records have also stated their ready, willing and able to work WITH Trent to make the DE of PHM a reality.

Deluxe Edition of PHM just announced from original masters on nin.com. No surround mix, but I still could not imagine bigger news. Christmas comes early.

Just a 2010 remaster with one additional track, Get Down Make Love, from the Sin CD5. Hardly a deluxe edition compared to TDS.

Given that Barry Diament did the original mastering I'm a bit cautious as to how this will sound, although for $9.99 it's hardly taking a risk for the CD.

Hopefully they'll announce some more formats, like a 24/96 .flac download and a new vinyl pressing. I have a sealed copy of Ryko's 180g pressing, I keep meaning to compare it to my original UK Island/TVT pressing but seem to run out of time on the week-ends these days.

Just a 2010 remaster with one additional track, Get Down Make Love, from the Sin CD5. Hardly a deluxe edition compared to TDS.

Given that Barry Diament did the original mastering I'm a bit cautious as to how this will sound, although for $9.99 it's hardly taking a risk for the CD.

Hopefully they'll announce some more formats, like a 24/96 .flac download and a new vinyl pressing. I have a sealed copy of Ryko's 180g pressing, I keep meaning to compare it to my original UK Island/TVT pressing but seem to run out of time on the week-ends these days.

I have a rip of the vinyl. It sounds better to me than the original, but anything does.

Could it be brickwalled to death? Sure. I actually still might prefer it to the absolutely flat original. If Trent was able to reclaim the masters, he could do the right job this time. Would love to see a 24/96 flac and vinyl as well, especially for what I have planned for it. It he could turn down the reverb a bit on the vocal, that'd be nice too. ;)

Would have loved to have seen redone versions of some of the earlier pre-PHM stuff ("Maybe Just Once," ""Purest Feeling") as bonus tracks, but I don't really spend a whole lot of time with bonus tracks anymore unless its a prolific b-sides artist like Tori Amos.

Still, fantastic news.

He's only remastered it though, hasn't remixed it, so you're not going to hear any changes other than mastering changes.

If you want a brickwalled mix, just use Audacity! :)

Year Zero and The Slip were substantially more compressed than their multi-track masters that were released. If this is the same way, I'll stick to the original vinyl.

A deluxe edition like TDS with some remastered demos including the unreleased Purest Feeling tracks as well as perhaps remastered original versions of Twitch, Kinda I Want To, Sanctified...heck the entire PHM demo would be great. Wonder who has those original tapes?

I am still holding onto hope for a deluxe 5.1 high rez PHM now that Trent finally has someone with the licensing rights that actually wants to work with him in a fair manner.

I've listened to this a few times through now. Bits of it seem drawn from NINs Ghosts (no surprise there). There is a fun version of "In the Hall of the Mountain King." The mix is discrete although not as adventuresome as the material might have you expect. I am pleased I picked this up, but I don't see anyone ever giving it classic status. If you like the mellow end of NIN and electronica, pick this up.

I've listened to this a few times through now. Bits of it seem drawn from NINs Ghosts (no surprise there). There is a fun version of "In the Hall of the Mountain King." The mix is discrete although not as adventuresome as the material might have you expect. I am pleased I picked this up, but I don't see anyone ever giving it classic status. If you like the mellow end of NIN and electronica, pick this up.

As its Trent scoring a movie, that probably should be no surprise. I expected this to be a moody work, much like his "Quake" score. He can do moody, dark ambient with the best of them.

I'll echo stormchaser's comments and add that I think it also shares a lot in common with the Dust Brother's score for Fight Club. It sounds to me like a direct hybrid of Ghosts and Fight Club, which makes perfect sense considering that it's Reznor working under some sort of direction from Fincher. The surround mix is pretty good. It's discreet for sure, but since the music is mostly ambient structured noise (in a good way) your satisfaction will depend on your tastes.

I have one complaint about the disc though: The whole time it plays it sits on the same menu screen. With my HDMI signal chain, I haven't figured out a way to listen to music on my blu-ray player with the display off so I either have to deal with burn-in on my plasma or keep manually turning on the scrolling bar feature on my TV.

Regardless, I look forward to more blu-ray releases from NIN/Reznor!

Back