Favorite Classical 5.1 Disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robster65

Not sure if this is the proper place -

I would like some recommendations on 5.1 classical discs (dvd-audio, dts). I'm looking for sound/recording quality, rather than favorite/popular piece as all recordings are not the same. I want something that really brings out the joy of listening to classical music on a surround sound system.

Thanks.

Telarcs 1812 Overture is pretty good one of the best versions i have heard and the surround is more Pop mix than the usual Ambiance in the rears cannons form all four corners of the room.

Most of Karajan's EMI 1970's releases.
I also enjoy Zubin Mehta's rendition of Stravinski's "Rite of Spring" from CBS 1978 (?).

Well, first off, the modern classical repertoire in MCH is mostly SACD, not DVD-A nor dts. Fortunately, for you, the Telarc 1812 was released both on SACD and DVD-A although the new Gergiev/Mariinsky 1812 on SACD is a better performance with more interesting cannons. As for other suggestions, I would look at the EMI DVD-As although they are (like all classical DVD-As) getting very hard to find. I especially recommend Previn's recording of Messaien's Turangalila (spectacular) but, in general, Karajan and Mehta leave me cold.

I have many other recommendations in the feature "Recordings in the Round" which accompanies many of my columns. See sig.

Hi Robster65,

Any particular type of classical music (symphonies, opera, choral, chamber music, etc.). I only ask because I have quite a few classical dvd-audios and SACDs some of which I like quite a bit and others that don't do much for me.

Cheers,
GabeL

The AIX Records "Shostakovich Piano Quintet" performed by the Chamber Music Palisades is a stunning recording......it also features the "Debussy Sonata For Flute, Viola and Harp" and "Brockman's Feast of Fives". Your jaw will drop!
Dwight

The AIX Records "Shostakovich Piano Quintet" performed by the Chamber Music Palisades is a stunning recording......it also features the "Debussy Sonata For Flute, Viola and Harp" and "Brockman's Feast of Fives". Your jaw will drop!
Dwight
Yes, it is a stunning recording but the performances do not move me.

For a marvelous chamber music DVD-A (many options for SACD), I like this:

Attachments

• tn_5678_guarneriravel.jpg
    tn_5678_guarneriravel.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 240
Telarcs 1812 Overture is pretty good one of the best versions i have heard and the surround is more Pop mix than the usual Ambiance in the rears cannons form all four corners of the room.
The best thing about this Recording, is Telarc. IMHO, they only do it one way: all the way. When they recorded this disc,as I recall, they recorded the Cannon shots on the grounds of a College campus. These cannons that they used were the real deal. They were about 1,000 ft from a library. They had them setup with nothing short of the finest microphones.When they fired the cannons, it shattered the glass at the Library! Wow! The frequency range went down to 16 HZ! You had better make sure that your system is up to the task, or you can kiss some of your equipment goodbye. They will not be responsible, since there is a warning on the disc cover.

This is my favourite...

Bach: Solo & Double Violin Concertos - Podger/Manze

Attachments

• manz.jpg
    manz.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 177
Back