DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Defective Original Disc) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Jethro Tull - THICK AS A BRICK [First Issue]

• Total voters
Hurray!
after sending the email twice I got this message back from [email protected]:
"Dear Sir

You have provided us with enough information to initiate your replacement
process.

Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery of your items.

Thank you for your patience as we try to correct this situation and again we
apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

EMI Quality Assurance"

What did I do?
I had to send them my aunt's address in NY!!!

I got a reply asking for a proof of purchase so I told them I didn't get a receipt but I did tell them where I bought it.

Looking like a standard reply.

I purchased my set through Amazon US and per the info gleaned from this thread, sent an email to "[email protected]" on Jan 3rd.

I received a reply today.

From "[email protected]".

Jan 8, 2013
Re: Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary DVD Replacement

Dear Sir

You have provided us with enough information to initiate your replacement
process.

Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery of your items.

Thank you for your patience as we try to correct this situation and again we
apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

EMI Quality Assurance

> Hello,
>
> I understand a replacement DVD is available for the defective DVD
> included in the
> "Jethro Tull" Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Set.
> This DVD would replace the sonically troubled DVD that was shipped in
> the CD/DVD set.
>
> Please send me a replacement or let me know the process in obtaining a
> replacement disc.
> I have attached my proof of purchase invoice from Amazon.
>
> Please ship to:
> Blah..Blah..Blah

Well the corrected mix sounds great. Don't know what I was on about with my first impression, but all is in order now. I guess the lesson is to be very careful when buying music mastered by Peter Mew.

I finally voted. I'm glad I waited for the corrected version. I got it 3 days ago and it is now everything I had hoped for. I wanted to give it a 9, because it is not lossless, but I truly can't imagine it any better (though I'll certainly snatch up a lossless copy if it ever appears.) A 10 from me - I can't stop playing it!

Received my confirmation email today from EMI stating that they will be sending me a replacement. So, will be looking forward to hearing the corrected disc.

I e-mailed [email protected] today and attached a scanned invoice of my order from Amazon USA. A couple of hours later I got a standard response stating: "You have provided us with enough information to initiate your replacement process. Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery of your items."

I received the same email from them today. I wonder if they will be sending the entire box or just the discs?

I e-mailed [email protected] today and attached a scanned invoice of my order from Amazon USA. A couple of hours later I got a standard response stating: "You have provided us with enough information to initiate your replacement process. Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery of your items."

I received the same email from them today. I wonder if they will be sending the entire box or just the discs?

Some people who got the replacement said the booklet still has the pages out of order, so sounds like it may be the entire box.

The first image is from the old disc.
old_TAAB.jpg

This one is the new version.
newTAAB.jpg

I'd be very surprised if it was the entire box. Nothing to stop people from then returning their original version for refund. Always in the past when I have received replacment discs directly from the music label it has just been the disc(s).

I just got the disk and a short "sorry, ..." notice. Fine for me!

Markus

I'd be very surprised if it was the entire box. Nothing to stop people from then returning their original version for refund. Always in the past when I have received replacment discs directly from the music label it has just been the disc(s).

Used the TULLDVD mail address which I found over on the dark side (Hoffman forum) worked a treat and i now have the replacement disc, which as others have pointed out is a great improvement over the original disc. You have to wonder whether there is a quality department at EMI ?

DO NOT BLAME STEVEN WILSON FOR THE WAY THE CYMBALS SOUND!!!

The drums from 5:00 to roughly 10:30 in part 1 have a "phase" effect on them, just like in the original mix except this time it's more pronounced.
Any criticisms that the cymbals (and overall mix) is too bright is probably resultant of the mastering process, so please do not blame Mr. Wilson for the way it sounds. He wanted high-res just like the rest of us and would've also preferred a true "flat mix" similar to the ELP releases.

With all that being said, I give it a '9'. Would've been a '10' if it had been high-res, but I can't remember a DTS title sounding better than this! (with the possible exception of Layla) Yes, I am also pissed off about the glitches but again, not Steven's fault so I won't deduct from my vote for that reason. :)

Well I just got my replacement disc in today (and very quickly too I might add) and it sounds AMAZING!
The most amazing thing about this new 'flat transfer' of the 5.1 mix is that the surround channels are actually louder! Just goes to show you how much this mix was "mewtilated" in the original pressing.
So glad I went with my gut instinct originally and voted this disc a '9'.
As I said before the only thing that could've made this disc better was if it was DVD-A or Blu-Ray. Here's to more great SW Tull mixes in the future! :)

I just received my replacement disc today also. Will give it a test drive tomorrow. The only difference in the appearance is the line under DVD SIDE NTSC Aspect Ratio 16:9 etc, as shown in zfox's scan a few posts above.

Back