DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Defective Original Disc) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Jethro Tull - THICK AS A BRICK [First Issue]

• Total voters
Hurray!
after sending the email twice I got this message back from [email protected]:
"Dear Sir

You have provided us with enough information to initiate your replacement
process.

Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery of your items.

Thank you for your patience as we try to correct this situation and again we
apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

EMI Quality Assurance"

What did I do?
I had to send them my aunt's address in NY!!!

Sooooooo......
the disc arrived on the 14th of January....only six days after their email...gotta love the States!!!!
"can't wait to meet him!" (Obscure 5th element reference)

I'm towards the back end of the 2-4 week EMI delivery estimate and no replacement disc so far.

I have an opportunity to buy it at secondspin.com. If it is the defective disc, will EMI replace it since it was bought by a secondary seller?

I have an opportunity to buy it at secondspin.com. If it is the defective disc, will EMI replace it since it was bought by a secondary seller?

If I had to guess, I'd say no. They wanted a sales receipt. If that receipt shows that it was used, they may not accept that. Record companies are not to fond of the used music market.

I just listened to this tonight, so I'm going to digress from the ongoing conversation about getting replacement discs and rate this!

I feel silly stating the obvious, but the mix, as expected, and to no one's surprise, is superb. I'll give it a 9 for no other reasons than, a) it's not at the highest resolution possible (though to my ears, no different), and b) the self-indulgent nature of this 2-track album (though intentionally so).

If anyone "from the outside" wonders in here and happens to read this post, it's simple: If you've ever enjoyed Jethro Tull to any degree, GET THIS.

I received my replacement disc from EMI, and wow, what a difference! This isn't some subtle, nuanced difference, but one that I guy with a tin ear like me can hear! The cymbals stating around 5:00 sound like what I imagine Steven intended and not the super bright swishy mess that they were. Glad I didn't vote earlier. I'm going to give this one a "10" now.

J. D.

I received my replacement disc from EMI, and wow, what a difference! This isn't some subtle, nuanced difference, but one that I guy with a tin ear like me can hear! The cymbals stating around 5:00 sound like what I imagine Steven intended and not the super bright swishy mess that they were. Glad I didn't vote earlier. I'm going to give this one a "10" now.

J. D.

I agree - that section from around 5:00 to about 10:00 is VASTLY improved.

J. D.

Is the lead vocal out of the C channel now? I still wonder if that was an unwanted dts artifact or if something else happened. Anyone know? The balance of acoustic guitar to lead voice was destroyed on the flawed disc as well. And the quieter acoustic opening section was so much too loud that when the band kicked in... it didn't.

Obviously I'm still waiting for the replacement. Very much looking forward to the corrected disc. There was enough evidence of increased sound quality and mix detail to be a very big tease in the flawed copy.

Jon
I had purchased my copy at best buy and lost the reciept, EMI asked me to scan the disk and email it to them > in two weeks i had my new disk !
and it is amazing !

Has anyone bought this from Best Buy? I'm wondering if they have the corrected version.

Brick & mortar? My Best Buy got a few copies on day one, and I assume they're still the same ones on the shelf now. I bought one over the weekend and it was the uncorrected disc, but I sent email to get a replacement. On the bright side, it's much cheaper there than Amazon.

I don't know about bestbuy.com.

ab

J. D.

Thanks for reporting on the difference in sound quality. I guess I am going to have to re-buy this now. I was soooo very disappointed with the quality of the original release that I was considering not picking up the fixed version, fearing that mastering alone couldn't possible ruin the mix to that degree. I guess it did. Did the mastering engineer even listen to what he created?

Brick & mortar? My Best Buy got a few copies on day one, and I assume they're still the same ones on the shelf now. I bought one over the weekend and it was the uncorrected disc, but I sent email to get a replacement. On the bright side, it's much cheaper there than Amazon.

I don't know about bestbuy.com.

ab

Yes, I got mine from bestbuy.com, and it was the uncorrected disc. After a few days of some challenging email exchanges with EMI, the replacement disc is on its way.

I agree, the relacement disc sounds a lot better, although I still feel the original stereo mix soonds better than the new stereo mix.

But the DTS is much improved. What a shame it couldn't have been released as Blu Ray or DVD Audio. I will now have to upgrade to the new Oppo BPD105 just to get the very best DTS decoding! :rolleyes:

Geoff

I agree, the relacement disc sounds a lot better, although I still feel the original stereo mix sounds better than the new stereo mix.

But the DTS is much improved. What a shame it couldn't have been released as Blu Ray or DVD Audio. I will now have to upgrade to the new Oppo BPD105 just to get the very best DTS decoding! :rolleyes:

Geoff

Now at the 6 week mark and still no replacement disc. What a cluster! Had to request a replacement for the replacment from EMI.

I listened to it today and it's great imho.......Steven Wilson hit another homerun.

I sent email on February 4th and got the replacement disc today. That seemed pretty quick to me. I was afraid my bonehead mail carrier was going to break the disc since it's just in a sleeve in an envelope, but it looks unscathed.

Back