XTC in 5.1!!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first 20,000 copies of the Drums and Wires LP were bundled with a free 7" single, "Chain of Command" / "Limelight".
The song "Life Begins at the Hop" (Moulding), released as a 7" single before the original LP's release, appears on some international versions of the Drums and Wires album,(like The Australian Lp) either as an insertion or a substitution.
All three songs were later included on CD reissues starting in 1989.

be nice if they make it in 5.1 as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vq1U8BKsEw

The first 20,000 copies of the Drums and Wires LP were bundled with a free 7" single, "Chain of Command" / "Limelight".
The song "Life Begins at the Hop" (Moulding), released as a 7" single before the original LP's release, appears on some international versions of the Drums and Wires album,(like The Australian Lp) either as an insertion or a substitution.

be nice if they make it in 5.1 as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vq1U8BKsEw

My guess is we will get 5.1 mixes of them since Andy Partridge stated there will be of a wealth of extras included. We should find out soon! The 2 songs from the single also later appeared as 2 of the 3 (!) B-sides to "No Thugs in Our House". They are lesser XTC tracks IMO but "Life Begins at the Hop" is essential.

I thought Life Begins At The Hop was on all copies, assumption because mine has it. Essential!

This will be released in September, although pre-orders will be going up soon.

In that case, I will be "Making Plans" to listen to this album in 5.1 come September, and I am greatly looking forward to it!

Andy Partridge has said on Twitter that they found a vast amount of extra tracks, demos, etc for this new reissue so I'm looking forward to seeing what the full disc contents are. I really enjoyed the 'Nonsuch' demos and video footage.

The downside to this new XTC series seems to be the endless search for all of the multitrack tapes for these other XTC albums. I am hoping that they will all eventually turn up as it would be a shame to have a "Surround Sound Series" with only 2 albums in it…
Hope springs eternal! :)

Well, I can leak a little bit here to whet the general appetites.
DVD-A/V content first - this will have the new stereo mix, the new 5.1 mix & the original master as a flat transfer.
All at 24/96, in MLP Lossless, DTS 9624 & LPCM stereo.
"Life Begins At The Hop" was never on the album though, but the 7" that had "Chain Of Command" & "Limelight" is included, along with alternate takes of "Hop" & "That Is The Way" and a few other interesting bits to boot.

The BDA is where we are having some serious fun though.
Not only is the original album in 5.1 but there are also an additional 11 tracks in 5.1, including "Hop" (of course) and it's B-Side "Homo Safari", the additional from the album (Chain Of Command & Limelight) plus a lot of others - you will have to wait for the official pre-release pages for full details on these as I have typists finger & cannot be bothered to write it all out or I would be here for days!
Bonus Content includes the promo films for both "Hop" & "Nigel" (the only video content) as well as 4 early sessions & a complete (and previously unheard) rehearsal session of 20 tracks and a number of instrumental mixes.
Naturally the original master - and the original bonus tracks - are there, as well as a very rare 3-track session.

It is an outstanding album, and Steven has done his usual magic with the 5.1 as well. So, if you are making plans to buy this just remember we only want what's best for you all.

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!

:wave

Sounds absolutely amazing I cannot WAIT for this!! :p

Thank you Neil, for the info and for everything you do! You're a superstar! :worthy

(oh and unless you've had a change of heart, please do keep it buttoned, DMJ!! ;) Piss on our chips at your peril..!!!! :p )

DVD-A/V content first - this will have the new stereo mix, the new 5.1 mix & the original master as a flat transfer.
"Life Begins At The Hop" was never on the album though, but the 7" that had "Chain Of Command" & "Limelight" is included, along with alternate takes of "Hop" & "That Is The Way" and a few other interesting bits to boot.

Not only is the original album in 5.1 but there are also an additional 11 tracks in 5.1, including "Hop" (of course) and it's B-Side "Homo Safari", the additional from the album (Chain Of Command & Limelight) plus a lot of others - you will have to wait for the official pre-release pages for full details on these as I have typists finger & cannot be bothered to write it all out or I would be here for days!
Bonus Content includes the promo films for both "Hop" & "Nigel" (the only video content) as well as 4 early sessions & a complete (and previously unheard) rehearsal session of 20 tracks and a number of instrumental mixes.
Naturally the original master - and the original bonus tracks - are there, as well as a very rare 3-track session.

It is an outstanding album, and Steven has done his usual magic with the 5.1 as well. So, if you are making plans to buy this just remember we only want what's best for you all.

Jeez could you not fit a bit more on the Blu ray :)

Looks like a happy days blu ray for me, a great album just got the kitchen sink treatment.

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!

Sounds absolutely amazing I cannot WAIT for this!! :p

(oh and unless you've had a change of heart, please do keep it buttoned, DMJ!! ;) Piss on our chips at your peril..!!!! :p )

Adam: I had planned to "turn over a new leaf", but you have done two things that have quite upset me and now I am real jealous so I just may strike out(out of sheer frustration, mind you...) First: You have been "two timing" us here at the Forum. You've been posting too much at the "other" forum and I feel unloved, frankly. Aren't we enough for you??? :howl Second: The other post you said you were with your boyfriend, you don't need to make us more jealous of such a handsome young lad with oodles of English pounds to spend on 5.1 box sets(you laddie).:yikes

However, I've recently discovered more fertile waters to fish in for a giggle & a grin.(I'm told the YES crowd are really sensitive and can really be "gotten" if one mentions:

The majority of them are 40 year old(and older) virgins.

They can't really hold their liquor.

They rarely buy XTC records(unless they live in Tennessee and hum the tune "Rocky Top" on a nightly basis).

[video=youtube;TsxvGm1uYxQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsxvGm1uYxQ[/video]

And now the serious part of my post:

The above Roy Clark version of Rocky Top, is(IMHO) the finest version you will find.

The 11 bonus tracks on the upcoming XTC release sets a new high bar for bonus content. :yikes You guys are very lucky. I am happy for you all.

@Adam: Is that how English chips get that nice salty taste???

An additional 11 tracks in 5.1?! That's practically two 5.1 albums for the price of one!
INCREDIBLE!
This may be the BEST 5.1 release of the year! (unless that 3rd SW Yes remix can somehow top this, DMJ will think so anyway….)

Thanks again for all of your work on this Neil!
Hope you get in a nice summer vacation soon so you will be well rested to tackle the rest of the year's releases! :)

This sounds fantastic! Here's hoping they eventually find all of the multi-tracks for the rest of the XTC catalog!

Amazing! Thanks for the update Neil. This will be a real treat. This is the LP where XTC made a quantum leap in their arrangements. There are so many clever little bits packed into every song - highlighted by the quirky guitar interplay between Andy and newcomer Dave Gregory. I can't wait to hear it all opened up to 5.1!

Back