Steely Dan Can't Buy a Thrill -- are these studio safety tapes?!?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems more likely that it's a dub to quad reel from the Q8 or the quad record.

Awfully low price if these are studio masters. No box, No reels, just hubs. However, this is not the first ABC/GRT 4-channel master that has surfaced. Three Dog Night, Sun Ra and a few others have popped up over the years.

If you look at the guys other auctions, he's got rough mixes from Wake of the Flood by the Grateful Dead. So it doesn't seem like run-of-the-mill stuff. And they're on pro tapes at 15ips.

I'd sure love to hear those tapes. Be pretty amazing if they were the real deal.

Edit: just looked at some of his closed auctions. "Master tapes" of Coltrane on the same hubs that closed for $400 and $500+ with positive feedback "as described."

I think those are the genuine article. :yikes

Well bid away quadraphonic fans! Hopefully someone here could snag them and let us all know what they got.

I think someone is already going to bid on this tape no matter what...and then relist it again after he's transferred it to digital.... so i wouldn't go spending my life savings until it's relisted and described better as to what it truely is......Because you should forget about other tapes that may or not be genuine...the tape in question ..as it is listed ...gives us NO idea whether it's genuine or not....I still remember that fake pink floyd animals reel tape...that even had a youtube sample that was as good as useless...and why turn a reel tape into a pancake after you've dubbed it

Last edited:
Hello again , I see there is some discussion about this recording just wanted to let everyone know we listed the Q8 of it today.

$395 at present, getting near the end. I would LOVE to hear these. Hope some QQ'er gets them. I'm convinced they're the real thing given the way he says they're marked.

SOLD for $921.00!

Quite a bargain for someone with disposable income, if these are the real thing. That's the price of 37 surround discs that I've bought over the years, at an average of $25 per disc, that turned out to be either crap mixes or music I ended up not liking and will never listen to again. Oh well (something tells me that the winning bidder probably bid several times more than the winning price anyways).

I just hope it was someone here, and not someone associated with the band or label who intends to sit on them. I'd really like to hear these!

Back