2015 Surround Predictions/Wishlist

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think requesting any more RUSH surround remixes of their 70s and early 80s catalogue is rather futile, simply because if they had the means to remix other albums from that era (like "Hemispheres" and "Permanent Waves") they would have done so already, but it appears that missing tapes are plaguing those albums and others from getting a proper surround remix. Plus all remixing would probably be done by Rich Chycki anyway, so best for SW to keep on remixing what he is and finding other artists too.

But besides that, it sounds like you enjoyed R40. Wasn't that 2nd half just unbelievable?! :)

...I do think that a Blu-Ray version of "The Beatles Anthology" will be released at some point, but it won't have a separate 5.1 song-only track.

Oh, MAN!!

Just realized I haven't watched any of the Anthology stuff since way back before I even had a surround setup.

I forgot it even had a 5.1 track!!

* smacks forehead repeatedly with palm *

OK. Well. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight, heh. (...And tomorrow night. And etc...)

Jim :popcorn

[EDIT] Jeez, I'm such a dope for forgetting about this, and I don't even care. This is so cool... :popcorn

Last edited:
How about some albums from after 1995, just to get away from the all pervading sense of the mouldy record shop that permeates multichannel music? What gets released currently seems to consist of 40 year old back catalogue obscurities. That's not to knock their release. Or to suggest that they are somehow less worthy of release, but it all ploughs same furrow. I accept that there maybe bands who won't / don't do 5.1. Hell I'll even sort of buy that there are insurmountable technical challenges that remixers don't face when working with material produced during the glory days of analogue tape but, given the vast amount of music produced in the last 20 years this can't apply to everything. Who wouldn't like to hear (off the top of my head) The Verve - Urban Hymns, Or The Prodigy? Or OK Computer? Or Boards of Canada MHTRTC? Or some Beta Band? Or Rokysopp? Radiohead? Or anything.

Bah!
And breathe.

I am with you Sixtyten. As great as it is that all those older albums are remixed, by SW plus the quads that released on SACD, some modern work would be much appreciated.

Of course there are new albums released in 5.1, but more modern work would be even better :)

I would love to have a 5.1 version of Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd. by the Monkees. This is the ultimate Monkees album IMO. A perfect combination of the Monkees playing and augmented by a few session men ("Hard to Believe" is the only track where none of the Monkees play). "Micky purchased one of the first 25 Moog synthesizers, the third Moog Synthesizer ever commercially sold. (The first two belonged to Wendy Carlos and Buck Owens.) His performance on the Monkees song "Daily Nightly" (written by Michael Nesmith) from the LP Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. was one of the first uses of a synthesizer on a rock recording." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micky_Dolenz. It is also used on Star Collector, played by Paul Beaver. Throw in a 5.1 mix of "Goin' Down" as a bonus and this would be one heck of a disc. :51banana:

I would love to have a 5.1 version of Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd. by the Monkees. This is the ultimate Monkees album IMO. A perfect combination of the Monkees playing and augmented by a few session men ("Hard to Believe" is the only track where none of the Monkees play). "Micky purchased one of the first 25 Moog synthesizers, the third Moog Synthesizer ever commercially sold. (The first two belonged to Wendy Carlos and Buck Owens.) His performance on the Monkees song "Daily Nightly" (written by Michael Nesmith) from the LP Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. was one of the first uses of a synthesizer on a rock recording." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micky_Dolenz. It is also used on Star Collector, played by Paul Beaver. Throw in a 5.1 mix of "Goin' Down" as a bonus and this would be one heck of a disc. :51banana:

I don't think a 5.1 mix of that album has any real chance of happening, but I absolutely love "What Am I Doing Hanging Round?", written by the great Michael Martin Murphey, who I know and have worked with before. :)

I don't think a 5.1 mix of that album has any real chance of happening, but I absolutely love "What Am I Doing Hanging Round?", written by the great Michael Martin Murphey, who I know and have worked with before. :)

You may be right. I may be crazy! :mad:@: LOL. I searched for Monkees on this site and only found posts concerning Mike Nesmith in Q8, but I found Monkees discussions on SHF from a few years ago and it seems as if there is interest. Maybe if the Monkee fans (and the "closet" Monkee fans - I know you're out there) showed interest here it would send a message to whoever still has the rights (is it still Rhino?).

You may be right. I may be crazy! :mad:@: LOL. I searched for Monkees on this site and only found posts concerning Mike Nesmith in Q8, but I found Monkees discussions on SHF from a few years ago and it seems as if there is interest. Maybe if the Monkee fans (and the "closet" Monkee fans - I know you're out there) showed interest here it would send a message to whoever still has the rights (is it still Rhino?).

If you get the Criterion Bluray box set of 'America: Lost and Found' there is a beautiful remastered version of The Monkees movie, 'HEAD' which has four tracks in discrete surround sound in DTS-HD Master Audio. You get 'Porpoise Song', 'Circle Sky', 'As We Go Along' and 'Daddy's Song' - which are kind of modern surround mixed rather than a super discrete corner to corner showcase but they are from the original multi-tracks. The remaining tracks are also in real stereo from the analog masters. There is no better version of this movie - it looks stunning and the commentaries are really good. You also get 'Easy Rider' which also has never looked or sounded better, so crankable.

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/769-america-lost-and-found-the-bbs-story

If you get the Criterion Bluray box set of 'America: Lost and Found' there is a beautiful remastered version of The Monkees movie, 'HEAD' which has four tracks in discrete surround sound in DTS-HD Master Audio. You get 'Porpoise Song', 'Circle Sky', 'As We Go Along' and 'Daddy's Song' - which are kind of modern surround mixed rather than a super discrete corner to corner showcase but they are from the original multi-tracks. The remaining tracks are also in real stereo from the analog masters. There is no better version of this movie - it looks stunning and the commentaries are really good. You also get 'Easy Rider' which also has never looked or sounded better, so crankable.

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/769-america-lost-and-found-the-bbs-story

I wonder if this is the same transfer as Sony used for their standalone blu ray of Easy Rider...love that movie and have the Sony edition..all it says is that it was overseen by Dennis Hopper...one of the greatest soundtracks I have ever heard...everytime I hear Born To Be Wild I think of Easy Rider...the only way to get it is to buy the whole set...I might have to look around and see what kind of deal I can get....here are the amazon prices

I wonder if this is the same transfer as Sony used for their standalone blu ray of Easy Rider...love that movie and have the Sony edition..all it says is that it was overseen by Dennis Hopper...one of the greatest soundtracks I have ever heard...everytime I hear Born To Be Wild I think of Easy Rider...the only way to get it is to buy the whole set...I might have to look around and see what kind of deal I can get....here are the amazon prices

The Criterion is a slightly different master. The difference is in the flesh tones, mostly. And a slightly better encode.

Speaking of movies, I just read (source) that 20th Century Fox is working on releasing a new Blu-ray/DVD release of Michael Mann's Heat. Very good news as it will most likely be encoded in DTS instead of Dullby like the Warner Brothers disc was (one of their last catalog titles to be released with that). Who here among us hasn't used the film's (in)famous shootout as a sound tester?

Last edited:
I have been listening to Faith by George Michael more then a few times lately. I know the hits, well that is more than half of the album. But a a whole the album flows very nice. And a 5.1 mix would be great, with all the electronics going on.

I have been listening to Faith by George Michael more then a few times lately. I know the hits, well that is more than half of the album. But a a whole the album flows very nice. And a 5.1 mix would be great, with all the electronics going on.

Heck yeah, pretty sure it would sound amazing. So would some of Madonnas material...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck yeah, pretty sure it would sound amazing. So would some of Madonnas material...

Ray Of Light with all those lovely William Orbit sonic textures would be totally dope in 5.1!

I was disappointed that the Faith reissue from a few years ago didn't include a 5.1 mix. All of George's albums would be good candidates for surround. His Facebook page has recently been celebrating the 25th anniversary of Listen Without Prejudice so I've been hoping that we might see a reissue for it, but sadly nothing so far.

:violin

All I'm really dreaming about right now are Genesis remixes done by Steven Wilson while at the same time, remixed to Bluray Anniversary Editions of Porcupine Tree's In Absentia and Deadwing, plus a 5.1 mix of Queensrÿche's Operation: Mindcrime. My life will be complete once these are done. ;)

All I'm really dreaming about right now are Genesis remixes done by Steven Wilson while at the same time, remixed to Bluray Anniversary Editions of Porcupine Tree's In Absentia and Deadwing, plus a 5.1 mix of Queensrÿche's Operation: Mindcrime. My life will be complete once these are done. ;)

Welcome to the forum:wave

Back