2015 Surround Predictions/Wishlist

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lindsey Buckingham - Out of the Cradle
Boston - Boston
The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Yes - 90125

Kevin from these forums has upmixed these ones and he has done a great job! Far better than any King or Bogren mix and they have the real files/tapes!

Another wish:
Stevie Wonder- Songs In The Key Of Life
Does a quad mix exist?

Robert Margouleff (Wonder's co-Producer in the early 70's) said he approached Universal with a view to remixing Songs In The Key Of Life into 5.1 some years ago and came up against seeming indifference from the label execs.. Talking Book saw some Quad remixing definitely but Stevie stopped it happening (Margouleff talked candidly about all this stuff in interview, I've posted it all up here before but I'll try and find the links tomorrow and re-post them here)

Oh and I know it's 'not the same' but DKA did a fab set of upmixes a few years ago of Key Of Life.. and the HFPA Blu-ray pans out really nicely in ProLogic II Music fwiw, maybe give it a try if you haven't already? :)

Just saw this add in the latest Rolling Stone... Is "Rush" really available on Blu-Ray? I haven't been able to find it...
image.jpg

Just saw this add in the latest Rolling Stone... Is "Rush" really available on Blu-Ray? I haven't been able to find it...
View attachment 19677

That's definitely a misprint.
Besides the 2011 & 2012 reissues of "Moving Pictures" and "2112", the only other RUSH albums that have been released on Blu-Ray are "Fly by Night", "A Farewell to Kings", and "Signals" (available in August)

Just a reminder: the Rush Blu-Rays have the same surround mix and mastering, and the same compressed stereo mastering as the Sectors DVD-As.

If you are looking for the new and much better 2015 stereo remastering, they are only available as Hi-Res downloads (with 2015 date) and vinyl.

Just a reminder: the Rush Blu-Rays have the same surround mix and mastering, and the same compressed stereo mastering as the Sectors DVD-As.

If you are looking for the new and much better 2015 stereo remastering, they are only available as Hi-Res downloads (with 2015 date) and vinyl.

I think I'll write to the Canadian Prime Minister and ask that this post be placed as a sticky on the Canadian Government web site. It's what I call a public service announcement. :)

View attachment 19677

afaik the original plan was to have BDA's of pretty much all if not all in fact of the albums in the schedule (Stereo only for those albums where missing/irretrievable multitracks prevented remixing into 5.1, naturally) but there was obviously some sort of rethink (pretty late in the day from what I could gather) and the idea got ditched so only the surround discs in the Sector boxes would see reissue on BDA.. Signals 5.1 still to come to HFPA BD of course.

afaik the original plan was to have BDA's of pretty much all if not all in fact of the albums in the schedule (Stereo only for those albums where missing/irretrievable multitracks prevented remixing into 5.1, naturally) but there was obviously some sort of rethink (pretty late in the day from what I could gather) and the idea got ditched so only the surround discs in the Sector boxes would see reissue on BDA.. Signals 5.1 still to come to HFPA BD of course.

I wonder who did the 2015 remasters for these downloads?

Yes, Permanent Waves from HDtracks sounds very good.

Is BluRay pure audio a dead format ?
Been looking on the shelf at my local music retailer and it's been the same titles now since late 2014!

Is BluRay pure audio a dead format ?
Been looking on the shelf at my local music retailer and it's been the same titles now since late 2014!

I sure hope not as it seems to be the way to unite us all and give hi-def music to the masses as well. Pure Audio is the only hi-def disc format that can be played on anyone's modern machine with compatibility and unlike analog, you don't have to worry if your friends machine will damage your discs.

the Beatles Anthology on Blu-ray with a separate 5.1 Song Track!

Is that a prediction or a wish? (or both!)
I do think that a Blu-Ray version of "The Beatles Anthology" will be released at some point, but it won't have a separate 5.1 song-only track.
However, I've been hearing rumors for years of a comprehensive Beatles videos collection that would be released on DVD & Blu-Ray with 5.1 surround.
Hope Springs Eternal, like I always say! :)

Is that a prediction or a wish? (or both!)
I do think that a Blu-Ray version of "The Beatles Anthology" will be released at some point, but it won't have a separate 5.1 song-only track.
However, I've been hearing rumors for years of a comprehensive Beatles videos collection that would be released on DVD & Blu-Ray with 5.1 surround.
Hope Springs Eternal, like I always say! :)

Just a wish. If they just had a menu on each disc that linked you directly with the 5.1 songs (in their complete form) so you could just listen to the music, how cool would that be?!

Rush-Hemispheres is still on my wishlist as far as Steven Wilson doing it.
After having gone to see Rush live a week ago this album has come more to the forfront for me as well as Permanent Waves which I read on another forum Steven also mentioned he would like to do and is one of his favorite rush albums.
Did any of you get the Classic Rock magazine that came with Clockwork Angels, I got it and all Rush albums are reviewed by different people. Well Hemispheres is reviewed by Steven Wilson and here is stuff he had to say from that article:

He says his parents bought him 'A farewell to Kings" and he subsequently worked his way backwards and forwards through the rush catalogue until I got to Hemispheres.

Steven then says " Cygnus X-1 Book 1 The voyage was always my favorite track on A Farewell to Kings, so I was intrigued to see how the music would be carried on Hemispheres. If you look at their catalogue as a whole, Hemispheres really is the zenith of Rush as a sterotypical prog rock band. But it was released in 1978(at the height of punk), so you'd think that would be the worst possible time to be releasing your ultimate prog rock statement. But rush did cross over into hard rock and metal as well, and of course they completely reinvented themselves after Hemispheres. Within two years they had recorded Moving Pictures.
The first side of Hemispheres is a difficult piece of music, to be honest with you---especially if you were so enamoured with Cygnus X-1 from AFTK. There's not a lot in it,the first ten or twelve minutes is just two or three riffs circling around each other. And yet side two is so flawlessly perfect that you tend to forget side one, it overshadows side one. But I go back to it and enjoy it, and see it as a totally essential part of Rush's career trajectory.

The closing track "La Villa Strangiato" is perfect, I think. I've never known how to pronounce it, but it's the height of Rush as a technical rock band, and Alex Lifeson's solo has to be one of my top five guitar solos ever. And yet it never seems like they're showing off. The music always seems to be the main thing for them, rather than the technigue."

Back