Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow ...where's the bass?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I had a DTS conversion of the Q8 of this for a while, and bought the SACD for the sonic upgrade but find myself popping the ol' DTS conversion in more often because there is hardly any bass on the SACD!
I'm not sure why this is, because I know there's bass to be had. My SQ lp, as well as my stereo LP and DTS conversion of the Q8 (obviously) all have lots of bass. So do some of the other Sony SACD's I have that are conversions from quad 4 channel masters, the Headhunters and Isley Brothers 3+3 SACDs to name a couple. Anyone have any idea why the bass on this SACD is so anemic?

Dave.

steelydave said:
I had a DTS conversion of the Q8 of this for a while, and bought the SACD for the sonic upgrade but find myself popping the ol' DTS conversion in more often because there is hardly any bass on the SACD!
I'm not sure why this is, because I know there's bass to be had. My SQ lp, as well as my stereo LP and DTS conversion of the Q8 (obviously) all have lots of bass. So do some of the other Sony SACD's I have that are conversions from quad 4 channel masters, the Headhunters and Isley Brothers 3+3 SACDs to name a couple. Anyone have any idea why the bass on this SACD is so anemic?

Dave.

I don't know... I have no problem with bass on this one. It is one of my faves! I have probably listened to this disc the most out of 400+ surround titles.

BTW... I don't know which version of the Q8 conversion you have but Tab's is simply INCREDIBLE!! I couldn't believe it was from a Q8 when I first heard it.

steelydave said:

Dave.

The Jeff Beck SACD's bass sounds fine on my system. Dunno what could be wrong on yours, sorry.

This was one of the first DTS CDs I obtained and it was also the first SACD I bought. Perhaps I was spoiled by the quality of the stable DTS transfer, the DTS CD sounded as good as the SACD to me!

Some of the SACD releases seem much better (Peter Gabriel - Up, Avalon & Ziggy Stardust) and some (Blow By Blow, The Stranger) seem slightly better and some are a mess (Agents of Fortune)

It seems to me that the SACD suffers (fidelity-wise) from the quality of the master tapes. Still, I feel it manages to outshine the DTS Q8 conversion by a wide margin.

Okay, I agree the SACD is better than the Q8 overall but not huge.

As you say, the masters do not seem fully exploited here AND the mix is pretty identical; so the differences didn't really jump out at me during back-to-back and switched A/B listening.

It sounds to me like the quad master tapes are deteriorating. I wonder what shape the original multi-track tapes are in? Maybe it's time to do a new surround mix.

Cai Campbell said:
It sounds to me like the quad master tapes are deteriorating. I wonder what shape the original multi-track tapes are in? Maybe it's time to do a new surround mix.

Wouldn't that be great! Sir George Martin must be looking for some retirement projects, eh? ;)

ssully said:
The Jeff Beck SACD's bass sounds fine on my system. Dunno what could be wrong on yours, sorry.

Same here. I'm using 6 full range speakers and the Meitner DAC6/SACD-1000 combo for playback and the "Blow by Blow" Surround SACD mix has plenty of bass to my ears.

Back