Any Q8 Titles To Avoid

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found that almost 100% of the Columbia group Q8s are excellent, as far as separation goes. Same with WB/Reprise/Elektra/Asylum, that whole group.

The Capitol and RCA Q8s are in general quite good as well.

Some of the A&Ms, the ABCs, GRTs and are spotty, but that is title dependant.

Two of the Guess Who Q8s and cd4s are simply double stereo. One is Flavours. The other I can't recall. Power in the Music, I think? Odd as the rest of the RCAs in general and the Guess Who's in particular are good mixes.
Marc

In regards to A&M titles, the Rick Wakeman titles are really good, whereas the A&M/Ode titles like Carole King - Tapestry (Travesty?) are feeble, weak on separation, with tons of reverb that undermine the good sound of the original mix. The rest of their releases are kind of up the middle.

Blue GRT tapes for various labels are usually quite good; of particular note are Joe Walsh - The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get (ABC Records) and Focus - Moving Waves (Janus Records)

Warner Elektra Atlantic Atco etc tapes were very good releases, although some required the matchbook shim technique to play without crosstalk from other program. Favorites included Best of The Doors, Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies or Muscle Of Live, Mothers - Overnight Sensation. WEA Q8s to avoid: ELP - Welcome Back (triple live) which is slated for DVD-A release this year; remixed hopefully

Double Stereo; fake quad where the front channels are copied to the rear with less than 2% difference. Maybe a little reverb or other artificial means....

Marcsten said:
Two of the Guess Who Q8s and cd4s are simply double stereo. One is Flavours. The other I can't recall. Power in the Music, I think? Odd as the rest of the RCAs in general and the Guess Who's in particular are good mixes.
Marc

I had Artifical Paradise on Q8 and it sounded to me like there was just a delay in the rears. Not really discrete ifromation. I believe someone here (maybe Tab) said that UK & US versions of some of the Steely Dan stuff differered in the mix for the same title (one versions was discrete, one was more an SQ mix). Can anyone clarify that?

Anyone think we should get a list going on Q8's To Avoid... Not just limited to Rock titles but all genres... I'm up for the task if someone wants to point me in the right direction....

Later, Brent

These are the ones I know of:

Carole King - Tapestry
Carole King - Music
Carole King - Fantasy
Carole King - Rhymes & Reasons
Chi-Lites - Greatest Hits
Chi-Lites - Chi-Lites
Grand Funk Railroad - We're An American Band
Grand Funk Railroad - Shinin' On
Grand Funk Railroad - All Girls In The World Beware
Guess Who - Flavours
Guess Who - Artificial Paradise
Herbie Hancock - Secrets (only Columbia Q8 I've found that's fake quad)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (U.S. Q8)
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic

And in the barely Quadraphonically Interesting Category:
ELP - Welcome Back My Friends
Bob Dylan - Planet Waves

Anyone ever notice there's one track on Jeff Beck's Wired that's fake quad?

Dave.

Interesting to find the same titles on my personal list of bad mixes. You know, if I had these on Q8 to begin with, I would have known from the get go. But with matrix on vinyl you were never sure if the decoder was up to the task. Now I know that they were simply fake!

KevinD9052 said:
Interesting to find the same titles on my personal list of bad mixes. You know, if I had these on Q8 to begin with, I would have known from the get go. But with matrix on vinyl you were never sure if the decoder was up to the task. Now I know that they were simply fake!
NO, he's only talking about 8-tracks. Most of these titles were real quad on vinyl, and are just fine.

WHICH track on Wired is fake? And are you talking about 8-track, vinyl or both?

Another title to avoid, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, It'll Shine When it Shines. I recently came across my Q8 dub of this that I haven't really listened to and haven't heard in a long time, and dubbed it into the computer for a transfer. As far as I can tell, it's just double stereo, but eq'd to make the back bring out the low end more and the front to bring out the high end more.

I believe the track is 'Sophie', but since my copy of Wired is trapped in the UK and I'm in Canada, I can't tell you for sure. It's easy to spot though because all the other tracks are really discrete (and amazing) and the offending track just has a ton of really clangy reverb in the rear speakers.

If I could nominate another title for the barely quadraphonically interesting category it would be Frank Zappa's Over-Nite Sensation, which seems to me to be double stereo with the (very) occasional discrete part popping out of one of the speakers.

Dave.

Warner Elektra Atlantic Atco etc tapes were very good releases, although some required the matchbook shim technique to play without crosstalk from other program. (Quote)

I have noticed this on a few cartridges. Would you mind explaining the matchbook solution?
Thanks

ress4278 said:
Warner Elektra Atlantic Atco etc tapes were very good releases, although some required the matchbook shim technique to play without crosstalk from other program. (Quote)

I have noticed this on a few cartridges. Would you mind explaining the matchbook solution?
Thanks

The matchbox shim technique was developed in the early 70s by teenage cruisaphiles as an interum step between unwrapping a brand new 8-track cartridge and spewing an eaten tape for miles along the side of the road after it had been delicately plucked from the jaws of a car player.

It involved jamming a pack of matches between the bottom of the tape cartridge and the tape opening in the player to provide a calculated (although not carefully) amount of tension to realign the tape as it played. Although this was purely controlled by listening preference, it was reputed to be the precurser to the Nakamichi computer-controlled azimuth alignment feature, without of course the computer ... or even the alignment for that matter.

The same effect can be accomplished by convincing the drunkest or stupidest of your friends to stand motionless, and hold the end of the cartridge in the correct playback position. This individual could prove to be a valuable future asset in the event that you need someone to maintain the precise position of your television antenna or soldering iron. :D

Cheers, Mike.

Quadzilla said:
The matchbox shim technique was developed in the early 70s by teenage cruisaphiles as an interum step between unwrapping a brand new 8-track cartridge and spewing an eaten tape for miles along the side of the road after it had been delicately plucked from the jaws of a car player.

It involved jamming a pack of matches between the bottom of the tape cartridge and the tape opening in the player to provide a calculated (although not carefully) amount of tension to realign the tape as it played. Although this was purely controlled by listening preference, it was reputed to be the precurser to the Nakamichi computer-controlled azimuth alignment feature, without of course the computer ... or even the alignment for that matter.

The same effect can be accomplished by convincing the drunkest or stupidest of your friends to stand motionless, and hold the end of the cartridge in the correct playback position. This individual could prove to be a valuable future asset in the event that you need someone to maintain the precise position of your television antenna or soldering iron. :D

Cheers, Mike.

Ah! I see now. So in order to decrease crosstalk, I need to place a subtly worded ad on the various singles sites. Something like, "Can you be w/ a guy and hold a position for hours? If you are looking for someone to be there w/ a matchless attitude, lets shim this thing and make it mobile." I'll have to get back to you after courting and winning the right woman and let you know how it worked out. Wow, and all that from a simple book of matches. :D
Lance

Larry Geller said:
NO, he's only talking about 8-tracks. Most of these titles were real quad on vinyl, and are just fine.

WHICH track on Wired is fake? And are you talking about 8-track, vinyl or both?
Why would the record companies use a different master on Q8s if they already had a real quad mix for vinyl? Seems odd to use a pseudo mix on a discrete medium and a discrete mix on a matrixed one. (Most of these vinyls were QS/SQ encoded). Why is that?

Back