let's talk of multichannel streaming services?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadrifonico

well; waiting for the new model of apple tv (rumors say within first half of 2024), i need your advices: for example will i miss anything with the wifi only version -i would avoid a long ethernet cable but i do not want any lag or buffering during the playback-? i wonder because i heard good but also horrific things about apple tvs

atmos mixes on apple music: do i find any list of the available titles when i browse the catalogue or i discover the new additions "by chance"?
thanks to everyone in advance

I have a Gen 3 ATV 4K connected with wifi and a Gen 2 connected with ethernet, and I can't discern any difference in performance between the two (both are excellent).

Finding Atmos mixes in Apple Music is not easy, but the easiest way is to go to Search and then Spatial Audio. Another way is to follow the threads here about streaming Atmos. Users post links to albums and songs they find.

I can't find it now, but there was some discussion on here that indicated the gen 1 version of ATV was the best built device of all. My guess is it was removed because it was indirectly connected to a seller.

It's pretty straightforward. To install. I wouldn't worry about connection speed. Your best bet is to follow the dedicated thread here that discussed streaming Atmos.

Actually I also read somewhere about the first generation Apple TV being better built I think it was related to the resampling, isn't it?
But was the first generation 4K as well? And how much is that on the secondhand market ?

I can't find it now, but there was some discussion on here that indicated the gen 1 version of ATV was the best built device of all. My guess is it was removed because it was indirectly connected to a seller.

It's pretty straightforward. To install. I wouldn't worry about connection speed. Your best bet is to follow the dedicated thread here that discussed streaming Atmos.
My memory isn't the most reliable, but I remember it being the ATV version previous to the current one.

My memory isn't the most reliable, but I remember it being the ATV version previous to the current one.
I know it was 1st gen being touted and the best build because that's the one I have. Supposedly the 2nd gen is worse and the 3rd is the worst of all. Even though the build quality has supposedly fallen off, the processor quality has increased across the three. The major changes were the power supply, the shielding, and the cooling.

I'm pretty sure it was the Gen 2 (model A2169) that was touted here as being superior. I had a Gen 1 and a Gen 3 at the time, and I bought a Gen 2 to replace my Gen 1, mostly because it does HDMI 2.1.

Maybe I'm wrong.
I'm pretty sure it was the Gen 2 (model A2169) that was touted here as being superior. I had a Gen 1 and a Gen 3 at the time, and I bought a Gen 2 to replace my Gen 1, mostly because it does HDMI 2.1.
I'll have to take your guys word for it. I wish I could find the video, but I can't.

I do remember the more robust version has a fan. If that is gen 2, then so be it.

I wouldn't underestimate a Tidal subscription. I have been using Tidal since 2017, and I don't need an extra device such as an Apple TV. My LG TV can playback surround.
ok but the tidal multichannel catalogue is as rich as the apple one? i doubt; for example M.J. thriller, pet sounds, beatles and so on...are they all available? trust me i would LOVE to avoid investing in another hellish machine to add to my system,but i read everywhere that an apple tv is the only way to go considering depth of catalogue and quality of sound...for example what's the resolution output from the tidal app on your tv?

thanks to all of you contributing to this thread

😁 so let's ask again a question i read many times on apple forums: "can i stream multichannel apple music contents (on a home theatre) WITHOUT an apple tv??" answer is always NO; how i wish apple music app on tv allowed us

ok but the tidal multichannel catalogue is as rich as the apple one? i doubt; for example M.J. thriller, pet sounds, beatles and so on...are they all available? trust me i would LOVE to avoid investing in another hellish machine to add to my system,but i read everywhere that an apple tv is the only way to go considering depth of catalogue and quality of sound...for example what's the resolution output from the tidal app on your tv?

I believe they both stream MAP format. The resolution should be comparable.

but what about the available titles? (and i read tidal app works fully only on LG TVs, is it true?)
I've never tried Tidal. But like you I have read that there are more titles on Apple. There is quite a a bit to choose from for sure, but I only care about a small fraction of it.

I have not heard about the LG TV issue. But I can't see why this would be so.

I have read about volume issues with Tidal where the standard volume of Atmos titles is considerably lower than stereo titles. Under the right circumstances that could be serious.

For those who know, can't he just plug a Firestick into his AVR to stream Tidal? That way the TV is bypassed anyway.

ok but the tidal multichannel catalogue is as rich as the apple one?

Cheapest entry is an Amazon Firestick 4K Max (as cheap as $49USD on sale) with an Amazon Music subscription and you’ll get their Atmos catalogue (and optionally their Atmos movies with Prime).

EDIT: You can also install media player apps and play your own multichannel and Atmos files easily.

Last edited:

The catalogue is pretty much the same. Some titles are offered in 360RA, but most albums stream in Atmos on Tidal. I don't see too much of a difference.
You should try a trial period of subscription to check if all you are after is available.

@HomerJAU suggests purchasing an Amazon Firestick 4K, which will allow you to stream Atmos and 360RA regardless of the TV used. For 360RA, we assume your AV processor or receiver is recent (for example, Denon 4800 or similar.

I'm an Apple fan, I've always used iPhones (and I must confess, I also save my lossless files in ALAC). However, I see no point in buying an Apple TV when I can have all I need to simpler tools.
Hope this helps!

I'm trying out Tidal (I don't have an Apple TV but I can stream Tidal on my old Nvidia Shield). It has most of what Apple has, but I've noticed it's missing stuff. I don't see Michael Jackson Thriller. It does have Pet Sounds and all the Beatles I think. Unfortunately, it's missing All Things Must Pass, yet has most other every George album in Atmos (except Somewhere in England)

I'm trying out Tidal (I don't have an Apple TV but I can stream Tidal on my old Nvidia Shield). It has most of what Apple has, but I've noticed it's missing stuff. I don't see Michael Jackson Thriller. It does have Pet Sounds and all the Beatles I think. Unfortunately, it's missing All Things Must Pass, yet has most other every George album in Atmos (except Somewhere in England)
Michael Jackson is available in 360RA.
All Things Must Pass is available in Atmos (I'm listening to it right now). Perhaps, try searching via mobile, it's easier.

Samsung has the Apple Music App in its newer TV's. I haven't tried ATMOS because I have the ATV 4K. I was hoping the newest I phone would output ATMOS with the USB C via HDMI, in fine apple tradition Nada.

Back