Fosgate Model 4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mtgc said:
The winner paid $51.00 for this item. Did they get a good deal?

MTGC (Michael)
I believe so. If someone with some knowlege on this subject could reply we would have a better answer. I wish I could find the thread that talked about this. It was about a month or so ago.

They definately got a good buy, seeing as it has the remote. Although it is better to wait for one that comes with the manual, even if you pay a bit more. These units are complicated, without the manual explaining what all the functions are you could get lost setting it up, without a remote it would be next to impossible. They give avery discrete 5.1 from a stereo analogue source, the Tate is more discrete, but these units are quite nice.

Surround Hound said:
I remember reading a thread about the model 4 and great it was if set up just right. Well I am hoping to see if any one remebers that thread or has any info on the subject. I found this for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...68940306&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ShippingPayment

Dear Surround Hound, I was also inspired by the give and take between Cai and Dan from Spokane concerning the Fosgate model four and the QSD-1, as a result I placed a bid for and got the unit you referenced. Dan was so high on the Four's performance and so emphatically against the 3600 series, I had to compare it to my reference Fosgate 3602 to see how the Four holds up. I'm really looking forward to the result of the shootout between Dan's Four and Cai's QSD unit. It's unbelievable that these magic boxes can be had for $51 and change.
Dwight

Dan from Spokane here. Let us know what you think of the Model 4. I now have a 3A, which after tweaking, I like at least as much. I certainly don't want to sound like Cai and I have a quarrel, just a difference of opinion, which I respect. I still have a QSD-2 and a QRX-9001, as well as the Tate, so it's not like they are out of a job. However, the Fosgate units are my overall favorite for stereo to surround out of everything I personally have had an opportunity to audition, and that is almost everything that has been mentioned here. At the very least, they aren't expensive for what they can do.

deepsky4565 said:
Dan from Spokane here. Let us know what you think of the Model 4. I now have a 3A, which after tweaking, I like at least as much. I certainly don't want to sound like Cai and I have a quarrel, just a difference of opinion, which I respect. I still have a QSD-2 and a QRX-9001, as well as the Tate, so it's not like they are out of a job. However, the Fosgate units are my overall favorite for stereo to surround out of everything I personally have had an opportunity to audition, and that is almost everything that has been mentioned here. At the very least, they aren't expensive for what they can do.

Hi Dan, I've spent a good deal of time comparing the Four to my Fosgate 3602 and the Rockford Fosgate RFQ5000 as well as my old Tate ll. I have a QRX3000 but it's not in the same class, so I'm just comparing Fosgates. The 3602 which superseded the very blah 3601, is still, in my opinion, the most transparant and discreet Fosgate, although the Four is very close. I'm sure you have records and discs that you use to check positioning and movement, likewise I pulled out my old standbys to compare the abilities of these magic boxes.
On cut three of DSOTM for instance, the Tate ll moves a voice saying "Here for today, gone tomorrow!" from the rear right down the wall to front right, then right to left across the front endng with a "gasp" in the rear left. Both the Four and the 3602 complete the horseshoe movement convincingly. The DPLll drops the gasp off somewhere between the rear and front left. I tried to play around the DPLll rear levels, but couldn't get it to complete the pan. Too much rear level brought the entire image toward the rear.
On Paul McCartney's album PRESS TO PLAY, I used cut three "Talk More Talk"; this piece is tough and opens with a voice dead center saying "A master can highlight the phrases!" This is followed by a voice distinctly placed in the rear left sayig "Sleazy instruments...half taught half baked ideas...". This is followed by instruments and voices coming from almost every direction. It is very discreet through the 3602 and almost as clean from the Four, although there is some bleeding of the voices into the front channels when they want to be clearly in the rear. Again, the DPLll wasn't able to get those voices to the rear, they fell somewhere between front and back. I know I'm being picky, but there's a difference between being there and almost being there, and like you I want discreet. The tonal character of the Four was slightly dry compared to the 3602 which to me is slightly more liquid. I love massed choral music from films like HOW THE WEST WAS WON and THE ALAMO, and both the Four and the 3602 produced stunning three dimentional images especially from the true stereo five channal elements used by Chase for their two disc HTWWW. Anyway, the Four is close to the best I've heard from a single processor.
Dan, I know you've warned people away from the 3600 series, but only the 3601 was a dud. In 1987 or maybe 88 at the CES in Vagas, I heard Fosgate call the 3602 "..a high definition Tate....", that's why I bought it. It is a seven channel unit, so if you're running a four or five channel system you must use the side outputs for the rear in order to get the benefit of the high seperation circuit. The rear outputs were the Dolby delayed mono signal! Even some reviewers failed to hook them up properly. Bob Popham and Charles wood were mentioned in the promotional lit and I'm sure they could vouch for the discreet nature of these pure class A units. They are pure gold.
Of course, I still haven't heard a QSD with the blend resisters removed which is why I was so interested in the Dan-Cai mega QSD Fosgate shootout!
Dwight

I hadn't heard that before about the 3600 series. I may just check out a 3602. I have never heard any of them, but was going from information about them from someone else, and thought it applied to the whole series. The 3A seems to be the most advanced and last of the really good Fosgate designs, as it has lots of adjustments, and great perfomance. I shelled out good money for a Citation 7 and it definitely acted more like DPLII than the older units. Not bad, but as you point out, just not there. Always front centric without the full surround experience.

One thing I've found in the older Fosgate units is that they seem to vary unit by unit. I think they are analog in their processing, and can be different. I had a 4 that I gave away that just didn't smoothly pan like my favorite one. It's difficult to judge the whole lot by one example.

The QSD is fun, and I understand why people like it so much, but I just find I want the center of the stereo image to be front center, not full center. Thats why I generally prefer the Fosgate.

I enjoyed your review! Thanks for sharing your findings, and information.

Surround Hound said:
I believe so. If someone with some knowlege on this subject could reply we would have a better answer. I wish I could find the thread that talked about this. It was about a month or so ago.

I owned a Fosgate 4 at one point but didn't care for the noise level in the Surround Channels.

I'm not sure if that was a problem only on the unit I owned - or was symptomatic of all of the Model 4s. So I moved on to another processor.

Probably a bad unit. The level adjust trim pots on the rear of the unit can get noisy if they're dirty.

To All, If anyone missed this on-line chat with Jim Fosgate on the AVS forum, here is the link:
39277-1.html
. There are many interesting tidbits about the early days of Quad and high separation circuits. It certainly supports Dan's analysis of DPLll's limitations regarding front to back separation.
Dwight

Howdy Everyone,

I'm getting involved in an old thread here. After doing as much research as possible here and on the rest of the net, I finally got a Model Four!!!!!!!!!
All I can say is WOW!!!! After about six years of Quad listening using Reel to Reel, SQ, QS, CD-4 and Quasi synthesis of stereo to quad using a Sansui QS-500, I got a Model Two six or so months ago. I have been very happy with it's performance, that is until about 4 days ago. I can't believe what my ears are hearing. Oh yeah, I forgot another thing. I also added SACD, DVD-A and DTS about four months ago. Now you are all up to date. My purpose here is to try to rejuvinate a discussion of the Model Four. It doesn't seem too difficult to figure out since I cut my teeth on the Model Two. I have a Model Two manual, but not one for the Model Four. I think they are fundementally the same in the areas of setup and listening. It's just that the Four is so much more discrete it's not funny.

I'll come right out and ask. Does anyone have a copy of the manual available for a reasonable fee? If so I sure would appreciate obtaining one. If not, is there anything I must know that is not intuitively obvious with regard to setting one of these up?

I thought I would have to wait years to get up the cash to get a Tate, but now I think I've got the next best thing, or dare I say, maybe I do have the best thing!?

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Quadfish

You have to right click and "Save Target As..." in order to save the PDF. If you have a Mac I don't know. As a Mac fan and user I've always had problems trying to surf the web or fill out forms on some websites.

Howdy Everyone,

I'll come right out and ask. Does anyone have a copy of the manual available for a reasonable fee? If so I sure would appreciate obtaining one. If not, is there anything I must know that is not intuitively obvious with regard to setting one of these up?

Quadfish

Hey Quadfish: If you''ll send me a PM with your mailing address, I'd be glad to send you a photocopy of "Installation & Operation Manual" for the Model 4.

John

Back