Fosgate Model 4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi John,

First off, thank you very much for your generosity!!!!! I would like to PM you, but I don't see any contact info in your profile. Thanks, again.

Rick

Hi John,

First off, thank you very much for your generosity!!!!! I would like to PM you, but I don't see any contact info in your profile. Thanks, again.

Rick

Hey Rick: The PM system appears to have been down for a couple of days - when it comes back up, try me again (check the upper right corner of this Page for the PM function). John

jsrstereo,

Could you post your manual for the Fosgate Model 4 to http://www.mediamax.com/ ? They will host it for free.

That way anyone in the group could download a copy if they need it.

Just create a free account, upload the file, move it to the hosted section, and then post a link here.

Thank you

How well do these units work with SQ or QS material compared to a Tate ll or other boxes? What we're the production dates of these units and how much did they originally go for?
Thanks.

How well do these units work with SQ or QS material compared to a Tate ll or other boxes? What we're the production dates of these units and how much did they originally go for?
Thanks.

The Fosgate 4 was a very good Tate Chip decoder from Jim Fosgate. It followed the Tate II and was later followed by the Citation 7 designed by Jim Fosgate and made by Harman/Kardon's Citation group.

ebay currently has a Harman Kardon AVP2 with owner's manual and remotes up for bid starting at $100 or buy it now for $160. Bid ends Sept 30.

Item number: 180162671751

The Harman Kardon AVP2 is apparently a rebranded Fosgate Model 4.

For those wanting an Instruction and Operation Manual for the Model 4, they can download the HK AVP2 manual. I compared my Fosgate Model 4 looking at the manual and the only thing different is that the Fosgate Model 4 input for LV is called VDP on the HK AVP2.

Here's a direct link to the AVP2 manual from the HarmanKardon.com site:
http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Owner's Manual/AVP2om.pdf

Fosgate Model Four Surround Processor With Remote
Item number: 330176448431

Starting bid $9.99
Ends in 2 days Oct 21.
0 bids so far but 435 visits and a question posted.

Fosgate Model 4 Surround Processor With Remote
Item number: 300162492982

Starting bid $25.00
Ends in 5 days Oct 24.
0 bids so far. 35 visits and Question is posted.

Forgive me for the dumb and obvious question, but...

Y'all are saying the Model 4 can be used for SQ decoding? I would assume the Tate chip logic comes into play only in the Music modes.

Forgive me for the dumb and obvious question, but...

Y'all are saying the Model 4 can be used for SQ decoding? I would assume the Tate chip logic comes into play only in the Music modes.

It certainly can be used for SQ decoding! And some people use it only for that purpose.

The TATE Chips were initially designed for SQ decoding, with the Music modes being added during development to make these products more appealing.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you wrote, the Fosgate Model 4 doesn't have a Tate DES chip in it or any variation of Tate DES decoding - nor will it accurately decode the SQ Matrix at all. Sure, you'll get SOMETHING from the rear channels of the Model 4 when playing SQ recordings, but it won't be what was originally encoded.

For those readers that don't quite understand the various matrix systems, SQ was 'odd-man-out' - it is absolutely incompatible with any other matrix system - heck, Dolby Pro*Logic II Music mode will decode Sansui QS quite well - but nothing but an SQ decoder will decode SQ.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you wrote, the Fosgate Model 4 doesn't have a Tate DES chip in it or any variation of Tate DES decoding - nor will it accurately decode the SQ Matrix at all. Sure, you'll get SOMETHING from the rear channels of the Model 4 when playing SQ recordings, but it won't be what was originally encoded.

For those readers that don't quite understand the various matrix systems, SQ was 'odd-man-out' - it is absolutely incompatible with any other matrix system - heck, Dolby Pro*Logic II Music mode will decode Sansui QS quite well - but nothing but an SQ decoder will decode SQ.

We're talking about two different things here. The Tate DES Chips were designed for SQ decoding - although Dolby Labs used them for their early Dolby Professional Cinema decoders of QS and their own Dolby Matrix as well.

The Fosgate Model 4 was designed by Jim Fosgate and was a pre-Tate product that incorporates early versions of many of his advanced matrix decoding technologies. They included Tate based decoders as well as the even more advanced "servo" decoding now found in Dolby Pro Logic II decoders.

You can check earlier threads here on QQ such as http://quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?p=66880 where folks have debated how well the Model 4 decodes SQ discs and how close it comes to a Tate Chip based system.

Another resource is Bob Popham who was involved with designing the Fosgate and Tate decoders - and still does maintenance and repair on them.
His web site is at http://www.rjpc.com/

The Tate DES chips were not designed to decode SQ

Why do I say that?

Read the patent.

The Tate Directional Enhancement System was designed to go after the output of ANY quad matrix decoder and add directional enhancement.

Thats why Dolby could use them to enhance their MP matrix.

My own personal view (and I cannot back this up with citations) is that CBS's and Sony's gain riding logic sounded like such crap, compared to the QS Vario-Matrix, that the SQ camp was desperate for a decent enhanced decoder. Peter Scheiber had demonstrated his at AES conventions, but was not able to get anyone to build it.

So the SQ camp latched on to the Tate system in the hope that it would be it's savior.

But read the patent. Martin Wilcox clearly states that the Tate Directional Enhancement System (Tate DES) can be used with ANY matrix system, and specifically mentions SQ and QS.

I know I have beat this horse over the head before, but we must separate the matrix system from the enhancement system. They are separate beasts. Most any enhancement system can be applied to any matrix system, and vice-versa.

Wouldn't it be fun to hear a Tate QS system and a Vario-Matrix SQ system?

Last edited:
The Tate DES chips were not designed to decode SQ

Why do I say that?

Read the patent.

The Tate Directional Enhancement System was designed to go after the output of ANY quad matrix decoder and add directional enhancement.

Thats why Dolby could use them to enhance their MP matrix.

My own personal view (and I cannot back this up with citations) is that CBS's and Sony's gain riding logic sounded like such crap, compared to the QS Vario-Matrix, that the SQ camp was desperate for a decent enhanced decoder. Peter Scheiber had demonstrated his at AES conventions, but was not able to get anyone to build it.

So the SQ camp latched on to the Tate system in the hope that it would be it's savior.

But read the patent. Martin Wilcox clearly states that the Tate Directional Enhancement System (Tate DES) can be used with ANY matrix system, and specifically mentions SQ and QS.

I know I have beat this horse over the head before, but we must separate the matrix system from the enhancement system. They are separate beasts. Most any enhancement system can be applied to any matrix system, and vice-versa.

Wouldn't it be fun to hear a Tate QS system and a Vario-Matrix SQ system?

No, they were designed ONLY for decoding SQ. In a 'general' sense, yes, the Tate DES can work on any type of system, but in it's IC form it was designed only for the CBS SQ system. The Tate IC's couldn't just be 'plugged into' the output of a QS decoder and work - they would require EXTENSIVE modifications since the matrix is so very different. Read the patent again and you'll see that the Detector and Coefficient Generator are completely different and distinct circuits for SQ and QS and the QS versions were NOT included in the IC's. But, the same could be done with the QS Vario-Matrix (or ANY logic system) - it could be modified for SQ - however, unlike the Tate DES, which works AFTER the signals have been decoded with a passive matrix, the QS Vario-Matrix is actually part of the QS decoding itself and alters the decoding equations as a function of logic demands - however, the end result is the same - enhancement of predominant signals. Unlike the Vario-Matrix though, the Tate DES was derived from an extensive study of the mathematical of adaptive decoding - the Vario-Matrix was created from just 'looking' at the QS decoding action and seeing what could be done with it to enhance directionality. The Tate DES is better though because non-predominant sounds are kept in their properly decoded locations whereas the Vario-Matrix smears them around the sound field.

For Dolby Stereo, the Tate DES IC's had extensive add-on's to create the required performance and features; derive a center channel, a mono surround channel and major changes to the time-constants attack and decay times. The circuit used basically rotated the signals on the energy sphere so that the Tate DES could provide a logic-derived Center Front signal and a logic-derived Center Back signal. Until the Tate IC's became available in 1979, Dolby used the QSD-1 Vario-Matrix decoder in their theater processors and the QSE-1 QS encoder to encode the mono surround channel.

The time-constant add-ons to the Tate IC's for Dolby Stereo slowed it down considerably - from the fast 3ms attack time of the un-modified Tate DES down to a 'fast' Dolby-specified attack of 28 ms. The Dolby Stereo implementation didn't use Martin Willcocks automatic "dimension" control (patent granted, I believe in 1983 or so) that normalized the detector's control signals for 360 degrees and not just the 6 directions of the stock IC's detector - this allowed the Fosgate 101A to enhance three directions simultaneously (the Space & Image Composer didn't use the same circuit) and considerably smoothed the operation of the decoder on a dynamic basis - it also allowed the inclusion of user-selected time-constants, so the 101A could have an 'alternate' mode switch.

Martin Willcocks chose to implement his DES design for SQ because he felt CBS SQ met mono and stereo compatibility requirements better than any other matrix system - which it does. And, unlike all other matrix systems, SQ needs only front-to-back enhancement and NO side-to-side enhancement. We are most sensitive to side-to-side directionality, and least sensitive in the front-to-back plane, so if all logic action is placed front-to-back, then artifacts will be better masked - which, in actual practice, I've found to be true - I can always hear QS Vario-Matrix working as a center front vocalist can't stay "still" as the logic works... the BBC also found that in their tests of the Vario-Matrix system. Ben Bauer discovered that in his experiments with matrixing at CBS and so SQ was designed with more complex matrix encoding but preserved the full side-to-side separation in the front AND back channels while sacrificing front-to-back separation. It was an excellent good trade-off.

I can only imagine how could our SQ recordings would sound if someone were to make an all digital multi-band SQ decoder based on the DES. It could decode on a sub-band basis, with 10 bands or so. And the decoder could have a digital phase-corrector at the input, to be used like an input balance control. Play a mono frequency sweep and the decoder would align the phase over the entire spectrum - then the decoder would be aligned for your stylus!

We're talking about two different things here. The Tate DES Chips were designed for SQ decoding - although Dolby Labs used them for their early Dolby Professional Cinema decoders of QS and their own Dolby Matrix as well.

The Fosgate Model 4 was designed by Jim Fosgate and was a pre-Tate product that incorporates early versions of many of his advanced matrix decoding technologies. They included Tate based decoders as well as the even more advanced "servo" decoding now found in Dolby Pro Logic II decoders.

You can check earlier threads here on QQ such as http://quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?p=66880 where folks have debated how well the Model 4 decodes SQ discs and how close it comes to a Tate Chip based system.

Another resource is Bob Popham who was involved with designing the Fosgate and Tate decoders - and still does maintenance and repair on them.
His web site is at http://www.rjpc.com/

The thread was just confusing as to who meant what in the back and forth - but I think you mean the Model-4 was a POST-Tate product. I had, at one time, a DSM-3606 and I've also heard the Model-4 as well as the pre-PL*II Six-Axis decoder in my system - I HATED the DSM-3606 and after going around and around with Fosgate over its performance (they replaced it with a new one two different times) got a Shure HTS-5300! I had the 3606 for almost a year before I couldn't stand it any longer, but it was Fosgate's lowest priced decoder then ($300 I think) and I couldn't easily afford more at that time. I ended up getting the Shure in trade for the 3606 - the guy didn't like the Shure because Harry Pearson had said something bad about it! So, he traded it for the Fosgate!

I've always wanted an Aphex AVM-8000 - back in the day it was "the" decoder to own and I'd still like to have one just to hear what it sounded like and its steering.

R. Scott Varner loved the Fosgate DSM-3606 and he thought I was crazy when I said I hated its performance! I haven't talked to Scott in over a year but I think he used it to derive side-channels in his system. BTW, does anyone have his email address? I lost it in a HD crash.

Anyway, I don't believe any of the non-Tate DES Fosgates decoded SQ well - and by that I mean accurately decoding the Left Surround and Right Surround SQ channels without them appearing substantially in the front channels. As you are aware, Left Front, Center Front, Right Front and Center Surround are encoded the same way in both SQ and the Dolby MP matrix, so they all work fine in terms of those channels... But Lb and Rb arn't placed correctly at all in non-SQ decoders and that ruins it for me. I don't want something that sounds "nice", I want what was encoded on the record.

Bob Popham came to my house one time when I lived in Albuquerque - back in, 1998, I believe - he was on a "Quad Roadshow" across the country - I'm sure he visited many of your guys homes too. He turned me onto the CD of Annie being SQ encoded - and Jimi Hendrix stuff being so 'magically' decoded in synthesis modes - it sure makes any surround synthesizer sound good! And I got to hear, first hand on my system, that last Japanese-only QS Vario-Matrix decoder built in the early 80's - was it the QSD-4? Personally, even with that decoder, I think QS is too phasey sounding and has too many side-to-side logic artifacts. The QSD-1 was the best, IMO, in regards to lack of artifacts but even then, it still had them - just not as bad as the broad-band Vario-Matrix decoders.

BTW, does anyone reading this have the whitepaper on the Scheiber 360 Spatial Decoder that Peter Scheiber wrote when he introduced that decoder in the 70's? I've never found anyone with it and would really like to have a copy - I'd like to know how he approached SQ decoding. None of his patents until the mid-to-late 80's ever covered anything but plain-old gain-riding logic... no advanced matrix-multiplier type logic was patented by him, which I found odd.
And has anyone ever heard that decoder or auditioned it extensively? If so, how was it?

I find it works better when splitting the bands, to just pass the bass 40Hz and below without decoding. This trick seemed like a no brainer to me when I was setting it up but I guess that was one of Fosgates inovations. The Fosgate model units use this approach. I think - but I'm not sure - that Digital Sevo Logic was Fosgate's improvement on the pumping artifact that DES had a problem with.

I've actually incorporated calibration in my experiments. You can do simple things like taking an impulse response of your signal chain and making an offset so that the frequency response is perfect. The easiest way I can figure to do it for vinyl playback is to get an audiophile pressing plant to press the phase and frequency test tones onto a piece of vinyl and then have the calibration offset inside the decoder itself.

And there may some faults in your logic about the SQ encoding/decoding. It seems like you base your opinion of the decoding on the differences in the encoding equation. This logic is based on the assumption that the matrix is a perfect inverting matrix. Most all 4:2:4 matrices used in surround sound are not perfectly inverting equations - you don't get out exactly what you put in.

BTW, does anyone reading this have the whitepaper on the Scheiber 360 Spatial Decoder that Peter Scheiber wrote when he introduced that decoder in the 70's? I've never found anyone with it and would really like to have a copy - I'd like to know how he approached SQ decoding. None of his patents until the mid-to-late 80's ever covered anything but plain-old gain-riding logic... no advanced matrix-multiplier type logic was patented by him, which I found odd.

And has anyone ever heard that decoder or auditioned it extensively? If so, how was it?

I heard the Scheiber 360 Spatial Decoder at a High End Audio Store in S.F. years ago. It was the talk of the Quad business before the Fosgate and Tate products came out.

The Scheiber focused on fidelity and smooth reproduction vs. cancellation. So it wasn't as impressive as the later Fosgate and Tate designs in terms of "discreteness". But it was impressive for its fidelity and smooth presentation. An interesting one, to be sure !

Disclord,

From the patent:

The system is applicable to the decoded signals obtained from a simple matrix decoder using and 4-2-4 quadraphonic matrix encoding and decoding system.

The exact nature and details of the invention can be obtained from the following detailed description of the invention when read in conjunction with the annexed drawing in which:

FIG. 1 is a block diagram showing a preferred embodiment of the invention in a quadraphonic sound system;

FIG. 2 is a detailed showing of a suitable detector of the invention for application in an SQ quadraphonic sound system;

FIG. 3 is a detailed showing of a suitable detector of the invention for application in a QS quadraphonic sound system;

Please site a reference stating where Martin said the Tate DES would not work for QS as well as SQ. He never told me that.

You may speak of the IC's, which both Jim and Martin said had design flaws, but I was speaking of the Tate DES.

Back