Pink Floyd Animals DVDA

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waw!!
Thanks for the information. I must think to buy a DVDA-SACD player then. Thanks a lot,guys.

Sorry to re-dig this one up, but I recently found an iso of this one that claims to be quad (the cover art boldly proclaims that "this Q8 cartridge is designed to play on the NEW four-channel 8-track systems", so you just know there ain't no jive </s>). The iso file shows as 3.8GB (4,088,466,128 bytes).

Does anyone here know the pedigree of this variant?

If that 3,8 GB file is the same what I think then I can confirm that this is an upmix - this
time with the Snowy White bridge solo in Pigs On The Wing as it was on the stereo Q8 tape.
There are covers of quadraphonic Animals releases to be found as background pictures
while you navigate through this DVDA - these are all fakes of course!

Regarding the sound of Animals, it was the first album done at their Britannia Row studio, so it's a quite a contrast to the Abbey Road recorded WYWH and DSOTM.

If that 3,8 GB file is the same what I think then I can confirm that this is an upmix - this
time with the Snowy White bridge solo in Pigs On The Wing as it was on the stereo Q8 tape.
There are covers of quadraphonic Animals releases to be found as background pictures
while you navigate through this DVDA - these are all fakes of course!

Welcome to QQ, Floydflush. Thanks for the great upmix, I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Floydflush - Thank you for joining up and sharing the story directly.

This is playing right now and what a kick-ass solid DVD-A release this is! KUDOS and Happy New Year.

i'm the next to say thanks to floydflush.
your version of this album are the best what can be found up to now.
previous version of this album from Area51 most likely have been draft of the project, which for unknown reason were left unfinished.

Never heard this album before (you guessed it; I'm not a Floyd fan per se). But the songs were a very pleasant surprise and I enjoyed them a lot. The surround mix is very good. The only thing that bugs me is the bass guitar (or the kick drum - not sure which) sounds very hard. Wish it was a bit softer. Could be my system - I'll have to play with my controls. Still a great find!

I too would really appreciate if someone would PM me a link. I happen to be a big fan of this album and Pink Floyd in general. While I still wait patiently for WYWH to come out in SACD, this would be a fine substitute. I want to hear those sheep and pigs in surround!

The only thing that bugs me is the bass guitar (or the kick drum - not sure which) sounds very hard. Wish it was a bit softer. Could be my system - I'll have to play with my controls. Still a great find!

After comparing the Q8 to SQ versions, I'd have to recommend checking your settings. The bass is ample yet well behaved on both versions with the SQ just a wee bit more articulate IMHO. That is a big compliment to the tape version as those can be a source of tubby bass if not looked after. I may be corrected on the source material but that is what I gather.

As an example of harsh bass, Santana Moonflower is a terrific upmix marred by an unruly bass factor that is slightly obnoxious throughout and not easily amended by level/tone controls. A bridge too far.

I'm not British but this Floyd disc in terms of surround and visuals is "bloody marvelous!" One of the best underground releases I've see. Hats off again....very grateful for nice things that don't exist

All who PM'd me or otherwise offered advice - Thanks! I burned to disc using IMG Burn and am listening to it right now. Very, very pleased. Figuring out the whole Torrent thing took me a few minutes, but I stumbled through the process. Maybe I will now look for DSOTM. I always wanted to compare the Alan Parson's version to the SACD.

Thanks again. Hope I can return the favor, somehow, sometime.

Mike

As an example of harsh bass, Santana Moonflower is a terrific upmix marred by an unruly bass factor that is slightly obnoxious throughout and not easily amended by level/tone controls. A bridge too far.

The person who did that upmix who, sadly, passed away several months ago, always had a taste for a louder LFE channel than others preferred. He just simply mixed it too loud.

I'm sure FloydFlush appreciates all the kind words he is receiving here! He takes what he does very serious, and I am glad to see that even those who have been resistant to jump into the world of stereo-to-surround conversion have enjoyed his work.

I should have picked another example because this one was not the end of the world. I think Moonflower had a dry Fender bass tone to begin with and an odd shape to it. I own several Fenders and they generally sit really good, not sure what they were going for. That upmix just accentuated this factor I suppose.

Now those older Revolver or Sgt Pepper mixes of unknown origin (not the recent ones), those are doozies...

Thank you guys for all the kind words. This whole Animals project goes around the world - just a bit way too far for me. Never thought that it will come out that way.
To answer some questions:
All material is sourced from Animals' latest CD remaster (which was very bad and needs to improve - but compare for yourself), Snowy White's Goldtop CD and Floyd's A Tree Full Of Secrets. But both versions on the DVDA are mixed differently.
I had files from the Q8 tape but didn't use them finally. Also the files of the great Pbthal-vinyl-rip of Animals came too late for this project as I made this conversion in last summer already.
Before I had have any idea how to make conversions I always dreamed of "Echoes" in quadraphonic sound. And of course I will do my version of "Meddle" too (in the same manner as Animals).
To compare both quad versions of DSOTM go to http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp?reviewnumber=12583627
To make a long story short: Try to separate the several mono channels (the SACD version is available as DVDA and DTS-CD too) of both versions.
Then ad 1dB to both rear channels of the SACD version and ad about 1dB (it's a matter of taste) to the low frequency range of all channels of the DVDA version.
So you will eliminate the critical points of both versions. Then you'll can listen to a pair of perfect quads.
Sounds simple but it works. Try it - but first read the review to know why you should do this.
Anyway thank you all.

Back