Question about a subwoofer.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GabeL

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Hi all, rather than sell off my towers to buy new ones, I've decided to keep them and add a subwoofer to enhance the overall sound. I don't want to spend too much (ideally $250 or less) and I can't claim to know squat about this so, any advice is good advice (brands, sizes, etc.). This is for an apartment so I'm thinking 8 or 10 inch, but would appreciate advice on brand and frequency range.

Thanks, as always,
Gabe

What are the towers that you have? Any idea how low they go? No point blowing money on a sub that won't extend your frequency response (unless you are maxing out your amp and want to free some power). I occasionally look into subs, but my speakers go to 30hz and to buy a decent sub that would go lower is pretty expensive.

What are the towers that you have? Any idea how low they go? No point blowing money on a sub that won't extend your frequency response (unless you are maxing out your amp and want to free some power). I occasionally look into subs, but my speakers go to 30hz and to buy a decent sub that would go lower is pretty expensive.

I have the Cambridge Soundworks T300, can't find the specs on them...one of them has a blown powered sub. Guess I'm looking for more bass with a bit of punch :)

Looks like the cheapest Axiom sub is $375, they seem to be pretty well respected. From what I have read over the years the other lower cost subs that people really like are the Velodynes. I didn't find any spec on your speakers either, but if you have a blown sub then you probably do need something. I wonder if you might get better bang for your buck by having it repaired? Beyond that I'm afraid I can't be much help. Good luck.

Will merely buying a sub be sufficient? I would think you'd also need a crossover to keep your towers from duplicating the frequencies being handled by the sub. Otherwise it might sound like you simply cranked the low end of an Equalizer.

J. D.

Will merely buying a sub be sufficient? I would think you'd also need a crossover to keep your towers from duplicating the frequencies being handled by the sub. Otherwise it might sound like you simply cranked the low end of an Equalizer.

J. D.

You know, that thought hadn't even crossed my mind...exactly the reason I seek advice from this forum. Thanks so much.

As I understand it subs usually have a crossover built in. If you run the sub straight from the receiver it will play only the .1 track. If you run the front L and R to the sub it will send the lowest frequencies to the sub and pass the rest on to your front speakers. Either way I believe that you'll be fine.

I suggest the largest Velodyne you can buy with your budget. They, like all subs that I have ever owned, have a built in crossover (if your receiver doesn't) that you can set to the correct cutoff. If you have a crossover defined in your receiver (I use 80 hz) then you just set the crossover to maximum on the sub (120 hz on my sub). I've used a sub for ages (30 years) for music and I have never found an issue with them. They produce the lowest frequencies far better than my towers and other speakers in my set could for music and movies. The most imporatnt thing is to achieve a non boomy sound from it. Some people say that bass from a sub is directional but I can't detect that in my 12 x 17 foot room.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

If you run the sub straight from the receiver it will play only the .1 track.

For most receivers this is only true if you have your speakers set to "Large". Usually, for any speaker you have set to small, the receiver should (if it is doing things properly) also send the bass that you have eliminated from your "small" speakers to the sub as well. This is where the tuning comes in so you don't end up with excess bass.

When you're out shopping for subs, be aware that while two subs may share the same specs (amplifier power, low frequency extension, etc) the chance of them sounding the same is pretty low.

Some subs I am familiar with, say those from Cerwin-Vega, have a "punchy" and "live" quality and sound great with rock & pop music.

Other subs, like the sealed designs from Martin-Logan, are on the other end of the spectrum and exhibit a rich & rather laid-back sound that still sounds good with rock/pop but IMO are generally more subdued than those from Cerwin and Velodyne.

And some subs have a little bit of both of the above qualities, Boston Acoustics for example.

Personally I like sealed a.k.a. acoustic-suspension subwoofers vs. subs that use a bass reflex enclosure because the former usually sounds cleaner and well, just richer, but unfortunately sealed subs are very difficult to find. Last time I looked ML sells some and most of Cambridge SoundWorks standalone subs used to use that design (CSW was started by Henry Kloss, who helped invent the first acoustic-suspension speaker, so that isn't a surprise!).

I think there are good-sounding subs out there from $200 to $400, but at this price point usually one has to pick from a sub that either a) goes low but doesn't have lots of volume or 2) has lots of volume capability but doesn't go as *low*. Extended bass AND high levels of it doesn't come cheap - that is not marketing but just plain ol' physics because moving lots of air requires gutsy mechanical & electrical components.

GabeL:

Your subwoofer question and points made by others, in other threads, about the differences between a subwoofer and an LFE channel spurred my interest. I did a quick Google and found this article. It is interesting...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_2/feature-article-misunderstood-lfe-channel-april-2000.html

Probably taking this to a level of detail that you had not intended.

Anyway, have fun and be sure and check Vann's web site. I got a good deal on my sub from there, a couple of years back.

Back