12 new SACDs from Dutton Vocalion in January 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some real gems in this lot. Ettore, Percy Faith, Charlie Rich, Dr Teleny, Dottie West... What with the ARS Produktion Gulda Meets Shostakovich disc 2019 has got off to a wonderful start :)

It sounds fine to me. But please bear in mind that this is the first time that I have heard it!

About the Tomita- Daphis Et Chloe...Definitely going to get this one.
At first I thought this may have already been on SACD, done by Denon of Japan. Looking into it more, I don't think it was or I have had it. (..Denon did do at least 3 Tomita's SACD multi-channel release though).
I do have a 5.1 DVD-A disc of this title someone made from the source RCA Red Seal R4C-2069 CD-4 LP. That sounds excellent! Looking forward to hearing the SACD D.V. release. Keep up the great work Dutton Vocalion!

the Conniff is excellent, especially enjoyed the Happy Sound Of but really they were both great surround sound.
i've not made it to the Mauriat yet i'm lapping up Dottie! she's a powerhouse, another Country act i'd never heard of before i'm really enjoying in Quad. i think i ought to take a break soon i've been going for 7 hours straight playing these discs today!!!!

Ok, all the easy listening, Ray Coniff, Paul Mauriat fans here: I'm looking to add some more titles to this order with DV. Maybe some easy listening...There's 4 Ray Coniff two-fers ( SACD- multi-channels), which one of the 4 could you recommend? Same for Paul Maurait's 2 two-fers (SACD Multi-channels), which one? Thanks much........

About the Tomita- Daphis Et Chloe...Definitely going to get this one.
At first I thought this may have already been on SACD, done by Denon of Japan. Looking into it more, I don't think it was or I have had it. (..Denon did do at least 3 Tomita's SACD multi-channel release though).
I do have a 5.1 DVD-A disc of this title someone made from the source RCA Red Seal R4C-2069 CD-4 LP. That sounds excellent! Looking forward to hearing the SACD D.V. release. Keep up the great work Dutton Vocalion!

You won't regret getting this Tomita sacd from Vocalion. It is hands down the best sounding Tomita sacd. The mastering is so great on both the 2.0 and the 4.0 mix.
By the way, on the last Denon disc (the 'Okhosk' one) you can find two tracks off the Ravel album: the Pavane and the Mother Goose suite. Denon had this strange practice of taking tracks from other albums and providing them as bonus tracks at the end of their Tomita sacd's. For example you can find Side B of the Firebird LP at the end of the Space Fantacy sacd.
I hope Vocalion will issue the full Firebird album on sacd. That would be great.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation. I don't have the 'Okhosk' one but that's interesting what you said about bonus tracks.
From Denon Japan, I have Pictures at an exhibition, Planets & Claire De Lune 'Ultimate Editions'. I see 'Pictures...' has 2 bonus tracks. 'Planets' only the 7 original tracks (..reading from from the insert) & 'Claire..', I can't tell since I don't have the original release to compare it to.
Though I must confess, I have not played any of these yet...
Best regards,

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't have the 'Okhosk' one but that's interesting what you said about bonus tracks.
From Denon Japan, I have Pictures at an exhibition, Planets & Claire De Lune 'Ultimate Editions'. I see 'Pictures...' has 2 bonus tracks. 'Planets' only the 7 original tracks (..reading from from the insert) & 'Claire..', I can't tell since I don't have the original release to compare it to.
Though I must confess, I have not played any of these yet...
Best regards,
We are getting a bit off track here, other posters please excuse us.
'Planets' (Denon) sacd does include one bonus track (track #5 'Itakowa and Hayabusa' named after an asteroid and the probe having visited it) but it is a relating track recorded afterwards. Planets sounds the best to me among the Tomita sacd's issued on the Denon label.

Ok, all the easy listening, Ray Coniff, Paul Mauriat fans here: I'm looking to add some more titles to this order with DV. Maybe some easy listening...There's 4 Ray Coniff two-fers ( SACD- multi-channels), which one of the 4 could you recommend? Same for Paul Maurait's 2 two-fers (SACD Multi-channels), which one? Thanks much........

All of them!!!

What can I say, I'm a biased person when talking about Ray Conniff and Paul Mauriat music :):):)

Regards,

So, this is the first time I ordered from DV directly. I got an e-mail confirming my order on Friday. Today I got an e-mail which just had one word... shipped. I went on their site and it says they don't provide a tracking number. Is this all I'll get until it arrives?

Yes, and be patient. If your order wasn't expedited it could take up to a month. Hopefully, sooner!

I just received an email from Simon at Vocalion, stating thy read my post on QQ and that thy are sending a duplicate order. You can't ask for better service than That! Thank you Vocalion.

At the very least bynhof, you have a NEW pen pal in Simon @ D~V. Told you they never disappoint. Remember one thing: D~V has put out more old 70 QUADS than ALL the other reissue companies COMBINED and at 1990 prices.

And hopefully, they're just getting started!

Back