1977 Sound Concepts Quad Catalog

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobie1dog

500 Club - QQ All-Star
I kept my quadraphonic catalog from 1977, it's 42 pages:

1B954667-31A9-4DA2-ADFF-ED21239DB746.jpeg
BFC4567F-78CA-45B2-AD4F-F4D072EB4BA6.jpeg
53C9964E-B73D-4D12-B934-EA4657A3C226.jpeg
92F8161B-05F6-4E01-A4AC-42990F50B77D.jpeg

Attachments

• 6DBE59AB-C60A-49BD-BA0F-705C09DFB216.jpeg
    6DBE59AB-C60A-49BD-BA0F-705C09DFB216.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 124
I have mine too, but it's all marked up, and I mean all marked up. I had it with me on the ship (in the Navy) and scribbled all over it making great plans to buy everything that even faintly interested me. I have it somewhere and should drag it out.

That place was great. Their service was very good and I remember talking to the guy a few times on the phone.

That Jeff Beck Live W/Jan Hammer Group record in SQ or the Q8 would have been a great release.
Perhaps Dutton Vocalion can extract it from the Columbia Records vault for their SACD releases.
That is one of my favourite albums there is just something about it, I can put it on anytime no matter what, so if a Quad version could be found I'd be over the moon. :)

I love these quad relic threads because they bring back memories, but they also give folks who were not there a glimpse into that time. It was a very good time with regard to a lot of things.

So I found my torn and tattered green one, and also a later edition with a blue cover. Thought you'd all like to take a peek. The green edition is from 1977, the blue from 1978, as indicated by the catalog numbers

Catalog 1a.jpg

Untitled - 2a.jpg

Untitled - 3a.jpg

I love these quad relic threads because they bring back memories, but they also give folks who were not there a glimpse into that time. It was a very good time with regard to a lot of things.

So I found my torn and tattered green one, and also a later edition with a blue cover. Thought you'd all like to take a peek. The green edition is from 1977, the blue from 1978, as indicated by the catalog numbers

View attachment 62307

View attachment 62308

View attachment 62309
I have still got mine also
Those were the days in the 70s he Aussie Dollar was a $1.50 US

View attachment 62307

View attachment 62308

View attachment 62309
I don't know if I threw mine out or they're stowed away somewhere.

Jon......nice to see those issues fr the late 70's , old quad guys that we are. That goes for Ron Brain as well.:)

That is one of my favourite albums there is just something about it, I can put it on anytime no matter what, so if a Quad version could be found I'd be over the moon. :)

An unreleased quad live epic album. I think the quad tapes must exist (somewhere), after all it got listed FOR SALE in Sound Concepts !!!
Hope @steelydave can alert Micheal Dutton to have CBS take a long look in the vault for this quad master.
Would be a welcome surprise.

An unreleased quad live epic album. I think the quad tapes must exist (somewhere), after all it got listed FOR SALE in Sound Concepts !!!
Hope @steelydave can alert Micheal Dutton to have CBS take a long look in the vault for this quad master.

is it weird (not Wired!) maybe that the sleeve mentions the Stereo balance and who's where...?

9E103CE4-B22C-4790-89DD-7CC9381BB979.jpeg

"The stereo spectrum of this album duplicates the stage set up with guitar positioned center right, keyboards center left, violin right & drums and bass center"

curious, n'est pas...!? 🤔

When Quad started to dry up domestically, I discovered Sound Concepts, I think that I still have a one of those marked up catalogs kicking around. I bought extensively from them until the very end. I recall that my purchases were not cheap as this was way before the Canada-US free trade deal, I was stuck paying something like 20% in duty and taxes on each order!

I wish 1976 Santana "Amigos" could come out in UK or Japan
on a 4 Channel SACD. Why Ever not? The Late and Great
Ndugu is on Drums and Timbales.
Its a great Recording. Quality Produced by David Rubinson.

I wish 1976 Santana "Amigos" could come out in UK or Japan
on a 4 Channel SACD. Why Ever not? The Late and Great
Ndugu is on Drums and Timbales.
Its a great Recording. Quality Produced by David Rubinson.
As I recall "Amigos" was not a very good Quad mix, some even say it was faked, still I too would like to see it on SACD along with all the rest of Santana's Quad output.

is it weird (not Wired!) maybe that the sleeve mentions the Stereo balance and who's where...?

View attachment 62313

"The stereo spectrum of this album duplicates the stage set up with guitar positioned center right, keyboards center left, violin right & drums and bass center"

curious, n'est pas...!? 🤔

Cool.
Now you got me curious.........avec SQ?

As I recall "Amigos" was not a very good Quad mix, some even say it was faked, still I too would like to see it on SACD along with all the rest of Santana's Quad output.

"Amigos" is one of 3 late-era CBS Quads mixed by Fred Catero (Santana's 1977 LP "Festival" and Herbie Hancock's 1976 album "Secrets" being the other 2) that behaves unlike any other SQ-encoded LP i've yet to fiddle about with.. one of the weirdest things is if you sum the decoded Rears to Mono you don't get the usual cancellation of Centre Front positioned elements. i can't imagine why Mr. Catero would fake it when not only did/does his reputation for excellence precede him but he had previously been involved with earlier genuine Quads that had excellent mixes (Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters" & "Thrust".. maybe even "Sextant", i don't recall if he was on board fof the latter now?) but there may have been contractual obligations needed fulfilling at the time or something else going on behind the scenes as to why those Quads are how they are, either way its a strange situation with those 3 Quads.. they're all great albums.. another Quad head scratcher for sure! 👍

Isn't more likely Sony Japan would release this on their 7" SACDs, since they've done the other J.B. titles, and Epic is a division of Sony?

sorry fizzy, i've no idea! 🤷‍♀️ i think our man Duncan had a go with SQ decoding the UK Stereo LP/CD (i forget which now?) and it did diddly squat.. so who can say what's what, what!? 🤔
I think I did as well, but in these 😷 times I'm not certain when!! I'll give it another go, but there is a lot to listen to in the to listen to mountain! and my 8 DV SACDs arrived this morning so it just got bigger 🥴

Back