1st Box Set - What's Yours?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
As the Box Set Queen, I own hundreds of the damn things. Long before CD's, I discovered box sets. Here's where it all started for me.

So, what's your first box set? Please list 5.1/Quad/Stereo/Mono, format LP/Q4/Q8/SACD/DTS/DVD-A/8 tk/Cass/4 tk (NOT Quad)/2 ch Reel/Playtape/Tefi, etc. The year and place of purchase are optional. Here's mine, and it's a tie:

Jazz Odyssey Volume 2 The Sound of Chicago 1923 - 1940. Mono 3 LP 1970 I first found this in my high school's library. I was hooked and had to get my own copy. It's both jazz and blues. Like the Roots & Blues and Jazz Masterpieces series combined. My addiction to '20's & 30's blues and Tampa Red, my favorite bluesman, started here. King Oliver, Jelly Roll Morton, Big Bill Broonzy, Fletcher Henderson, Louis Armstrong, Earl "Fatha" Hines & so much more...

Various-Jazz-Jazz-Odyssey-Volu-462617.jpg

In the Groove With the Kings of Swing Mono 6 LP 1970 Compiled for Reader's Indigestion by RCA. My love of trad jazz and Red Nichols started here. Benny Goodman, Louis Armstrong, Fats Waller, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Sidney Bechet, Dukes of Dixieland, Metronome All-Stars & lots more

410539222_tp.jpg

King Crimson - 20th Anniversary Boxset with In the Court, Larks Tongues, Discipline and a EG compilation CD... 1989...

Doors - Perception (DVD-A and CD/5.1 and Stereo)
and the same day also bought: Queen - Crown Jewels (CD/Stereo)

That was the first of a series of Boxsets i have acquired for 4 years.

My first CD box would be Bob Dylan's Biograph. First LP box (IIRC) was Mike Oldfield "Boxed"

Back